Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Vacume forming question's

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Vacume forming question's

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 01:52 PM
kahn41
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacume forming question's

I have built my vacume table, Made all my plaster molds of my canopy, wheel pants and oil coolers for my corsair. My question is which shop vac should I buy 5.5 hp or a 4 hp which one will give good pull and witch plastic will give the best results with the least hassle... I had a major crash with the plane a few weeks ago and KMP no longer handles the corsair from that manufacturer. BTW this is going to be my first attempt at a vacume forming process
Thank's
Old 11-25-2005, 05:02 PM
linclogs

Default RE: Vacume forming question's

This topic was recently discussed. Go to the following link:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_34...tm.htm#3442120

I would really suggest reading the book mentioned (if you haven't already). That book tells you a Shop Vac doesn't have enough vacuum for our purposes, but I find it works fine if you put your mold up on little legs, as mentioned. The secret (in my opinion) is getting a perfect mold or plug.

Linclogs (Jon)
Old 11-25-2005, 05:18 PM
RhyanO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I design ther****rming molds for a living.
The vacuum holes pictured on the above link are WAY too large, which is probally why a shop vac is not working for you.
We typically use very small #76 drill size holes in our molds for vacuum and not 1/4" diameter peg board holes.
My advise would be to replace that peg board with an aluminum plate drilled with 1/32" holes, spaced 3/4" apart.
When you place your mold for your canopy on this plate tape off the vacuum holes you will not need.
To get a good form around the mold, place the mold up on some index card pieces. This will allow for good vacuum around the base of the mold.

Id try to form this in PVC or PET. But be careful the PET does not get too hot or it will turn cloudy.

Go with the Shop Vac and use smaller vacuum holes.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:52 PM
kahn41
My Feedback: (4)

Thank's
I will give that a try, with the smaller vacume holes. I didnt even see the original post,very interesting I have read it and did answer some of my question's
Old 11-26-2005, 10:27 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found that if you use a single large hole in the middle, then lay the appropriate size aluminum screen over it to spread the vacuum to as small or as large as you need. I use several different size of frames to fit the job, and save on scrap plastic.

Les