Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Dual RX set-ups

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual RX set-ups

Those of you using dual Rx's.......
I'd like to hear how you split up the plane and your reasoning for it.
Do you put all the rudder servos on one RX or split them up? Why?
Do you put all right ailerons on one RX and left ailerons on the other RX? Yes, No? Why?
Throttle on one RX and ignition cut-off on the other? Yes, No? Why?

I've already decided that I will use 2 RX's and I have been for several years. I don't want to stir up that arguement anymore. I'd just like to hear different views on how people split things up. Maybe I can improve my system.

Thanks, Jim

Old 11-26-2005, 12:20 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dual RX set-ups

i have 2 PCM receiver on a 40% Extra one half of the plane is controlled by the reciver on the right

Rec 1
3 ailerons servos
1 rudder servo
1 throttle
2 elevators

Rec 2
3 ailerons servos
1 rudder servo
2 elevators servo
1 choke servo

10-JR-8411
2 hitec 5735
4-JR-8411
2 JR-811

2 famco 4400 packs
1 2200 pack

2 match boxes on the ailerons

i did what a flying buddy of mine went with on a carden 40% except it has less servos on ailerons and elevators by 1 each
Old 11-26-2005, 12:45 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I split the plane into left and right onto a receiver. The rudder has to go on one receiver unless you use a SWB self adjusting rudder tray -- then you could split up the rudder servos and maintain some rudder control. To me the most important split is to put the throttle on one servo and the opti-kill on the other. This way you can always kill the engine when you need to in case of a failure.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:51 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

On one aileron, you can't split the servos between two RXs. What happens if one RX goes into failsafe?

Same with rudder, with a couple exceptions... if you are using an SWB self-adjusting rudder tray or some sort of floating bellcrank system, then you can split the servos between the two RXs. I do this with the SWB rudder tray... one servo can go full deflection and I can use the other servo in the tray to center the rudder without fighting the bad one... works great.

If I build another plane in the near future I will be cutting the aileron in half and using a servo for each half. I'll set up Left outboard and right inboard on the left RX and the Right outboard and Left inboard on the Right RX. It's IMAC legal as long as you program the ailerons to work together at all times... you can't use them as flaps or anything crazy.

Here's my setup:

Left RX:
Left ailerons servos
Right elevator Servos
1 Rudder servo
Throttle

Right RX:
Right Aileron Servos
Left Elevator Servos
1 Rudder Servo
Choke Servo

As far as I know, there's no real reason for having L ail/R Ele and vice versa... regardless of which side of the elevator is operational, elevator deflection will induce a small roll moment that must be countered by the operational aileron. It would be easier to choose if we knew what position the bad aileron would fail in. If we knew is would fail in a drooped position, then I guess it would make sense to have the elevators setup on the same side as the ailerons. Ask RCBugman... he's landed a bunch of planes with one side working. Also, do a search... there was a discussion that got locked down a while ago (out of control trolling) but there was some good data in there from guys who've landed with 1/2 the plane working.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:20 PM
krayzc-RCU

my fail safe is low throttle, netural alierons, and about 3 degrees of up elevator. it would seem that both would go into fail safe and not just one if i ran into that issue since both are on the same freq. if not i can still control one side of the bird i think i would be alble to get her home as those large sufaces will allow you to do a lot if you can control them.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Hammbone

That's my thought as well. I'm not sure we would ever see a situation where just one RX would go into failsafe. It seems like it would be both or neither.

Jim
Old 11-26-2005, 01:57 PM
Hammbone

I have been splitting my rudder servos between both RX's.
I figure if I have a servo fail and lock over or something, it doesn't matter which RX it's on, I'll have problems.
I program my Hitec servos to match, so that doesn't make a difference which RX they are on.
I figure if I have any one switch or battery failure, I still have rudder control with part of the servos working and part of them moving free.

I use a JR 10X TX. It has the flaperon function for ailerons which allows me to use aux1 channel for the left aileron and aileron channel for the right aileron. The TX sets this automatically with one touch of the screen when programming. I now have 4 ports on the 2 RX's to plug my aileron servos into, but servos from one aileron end up going to both RX's.
All the things mentioned above for my rudder apply to my ailerons also.

In my mind, I don't see a problem doing it this way, but I wanted to see if there was something I wasn't thinking of.

Jim
Old 11-27-2005, 09:54 AM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Yeah, you are not thinking of the many reasons that one RX can send a different signal to the servos than the other RX. There are more reasons than a radio hit for a RX to go into failsafe (i.e. one RX goes to failsafe). A chaffed antennae, a loose or damaged crystal, a cracked filter, etc... You antennae routings are also very different (I would hope). This means that some intereference that might affect one RX might not affect the the other.

If you have one servo one each aileron go into failsafe, then you are kinda screwed all around... all you can do is warp the aileron and you may burn out the good servos trying to get the plane back. This is ESPECIALLY true on the rudder since the servos are more than likely hard ganged.

You are correct, if you rudder locks hard over, regardless of which RX the servos are on, chances are nil to none that you will get the plane back in one piece.... that's why I opted for the SWB self adjusting tray... a beautifully simple and practical piece of kit that, at the WORST, allows me to center the rudder.

Personally, I use IPD RXs.. they are PPM but with failsafe and DSR. They give me some warning that I'm getting interference before it gets bad enough to lock out the RX... IMHO this is far superior to PCM, but then I am in the minority. Anyway, if I set my plane up like yours, the warning could burn out servos and drain batteries.

Whatever you choose, good luck.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:00 AM
Hammbone

Those are good points and that's what I wanted to hear. I'll be giving that some thought.

So how do you hook up your rudder and aileron servos? Do you use "Y"'s or seperate channels and mixing?

Jim
Old 11-27-2005, 12:20 PM
krayzc-RCU

i have had great deal using this rudder set up....not if an ailerons locks out that is a different story..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19827.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	360935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62499.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	360936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13664.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	47.1 KB