Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

V-Mar

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 03:56 AM
Otto Kudrna
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-Mar

Hello
The first time I bought the Corsair and was thrilled when I opened the box. The kit went together well and looked good wen built. On the first landing however the landing gear tore right out of the wing. After extensive repair and strengthening I flew the airplane a few more times and sold it.
I red the other V-Mar thread on this sight and saw good and bad. I thought that maybe I just got a bad one and bought the 72" Beaver, figuring that a gentle flier like that would be no harm. While putting the airplane together I noticed that the wings were built with a rather healthy dose of WASH IN. I corrected this problem by reheating the covering and twisting the wing to about 2-3* of WASH OUT. While the airplane was sitting on the table in the basement the same day I heard a pop and than a second one coming from the airplane, at which time I noticed 2 large burst holes in the Port wing. Deciding to strip the wing to recover it, I discovered 7 of the ribs being totally crushed under the now removed covering. Now I am in the process of totally rebuilding the airplane and recovering it. This constitutes an additional $50 of materials and who knows how many hours of work. I have enclosed a picture in this post and will show some more in the next posts.

Otto KUDRNA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35361_4423.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	22518  
Old 11-13-2002, 04:03 AM
Otto Kudrna

Default VMAR ARF

Beaver arf during "construction"?

Otto Kudrna

Name:	35363_4423.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	22519  
Old 11-13-2002, 04:16 AM
ilrcflyboy
My Feedback: (5)

Default V-Mar

I get pretty lucky with a Hot Rod from VMAR. Only oddity is the variation in the split elevators, one goes up the other goes down. When I trim the elevator in flight, I have to trim the ailerons too.

Sorry to hear about the trouble. That Beaver is a gorgeous airplane.

Brian
Old 11-13-2002, 04:31 AM
Calflyer

Default V-Mar

Chinese are better than Vietnamese!! The only good news is that possibly the wood used in many of these planes from Vietnam and China is not balsa but some cheap alternative look alike. If it is balsa, certainly it is the worst grade produced. So at least they are not depleting the precious good balsa supply! My VMAR CAP's firewall popped right out on first flight. Stick with the better ones, GP, Lanier and Sig, thats about all, maybe Kyosho too.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:45 AM
Otto Kudrna

Default Talking about the Chinees

I have seen some of the fiber glass kits brought in from China by KMP, they are BEAUTIFUL, and with glass, you know what you get. I just no longer trust the wood in the V-Mar kits.

Otto

Name:	35374_4423.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	22520  
Old 12-14-2002, 01:40 PM
Lt. Dan
My Feedback: (21)

Default V-Mar

Originally posted by ilrcflyboy
I get pretty lucky with a Hot Rod from VMAR. Only oddity is the variation in the split elevators, one goes up the other goes down. When I trim the elevator in flight, I have to trim the ailerons too.

Sorry to hear about the trouble. That Beaver is a gorgeous airplane.

Brian
Both Hotrods that I've owned came with the elevators misaligned. I had to bend the connecting rod to get them level.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:07 PM
gmeyer-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

Default V-Mar

Otto did you forget the conversation we had at the hobby shop about V-MAR look at World Models planes. Greg