Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Zenoah & RFI (Radio-frequency interference)

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Zenoah & RFI (Radio-frequency interference)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 08:02 PM
kaksnapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah & RFI (Radio-frequency interference)

Why Tempt Fate??? If we can fix the problem, Lets Do it!!! Okay, My name is ken...I currently have a build goin on under WarBirds/Warplanes, "1/4 Sopwith Pup".... w/ a Zenoah G-26. I mounted the throttle servo on the firewall...Nothing is tried or tested and I get posts/emails about this NO/NO and interference! I'd like to keep this to just Zenoah Mag engines positive or negitive.

I've been reading posts all week about this interference problem, many with bandade solutions and I'm curtain there is more than one problem here. Depending on individual set-ups.

This Pup is my first gasser and My choice for the Zenoah G-26 was researched for its realiability. I don't want any surprizes on my 1st or tenth flight.

From what I've read, my solutions before anything bites me in the ass at 1st flight in the spring...

*I am moving the servo off the fire wall and back 12 inches.
*Using hard rubber disks to mount my engine to help eliminate vibration.
*make sure of No medal to medal contact anywhere.
....I'm not buying a pcm receiver or a Bosch plug cover at this time.

I'd really like to resolve this problem before the fact, cause some have found the answer or Zenoah would be out of business.

You input would be greatly appreciated not only by me but anyone else who needs help. Thanx, ken

EDITED by bubbagates to resize the picture
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12131.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	367102  
Old 12-08-2005, 08:29 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Zenoah & RFI (Radio-frequency interference)

Hi Ken,

First off I edited your post to get the picture down to more normal size. No worries, this happens sometimes

Moving the throttle servo back will help allot. In some cases most people do not experience problems having the throttle servo close to the engine but why temp fate. I had RFI with my converted (Electronic Ignition) G26 and what I found out was this

I had both the receiver and engine switches too close to one another.

So when you mount your kill switch keep it up close to the engine

You are also making a good choice about not using PCM right away or ever for that matter. PCM can and will hide RFI and it will eventually bite you. Normal FM will not hide RFI and will force you to get things right.

I normally test using FM and fly a few flights with it. I will then change to PCM so I can set the plane up to do certain things should a problem occur. One thing is to return the engine to idle, then give it a tad up elevator and a small amount of right aileron. That way it can circle down and stay resonably flat instead of just going straight ahead. There is no set rhyme or reason for this, it's personal preference.

Basically remember it this way, keep everything to do with the radio and connected to the radio at least 12 inches away from anything to do with the engine. You are already making another great choice by having no metal to metal contact. Another step is to use a nylon or carbon fiber control rod for the throttle linkage and have a way to kill it in the air, a choke servo helps here and makes it allot easier to start on the ground

Nice looking build you have going on there

Old 12-08-2005, 10:03 PM
kaksnapper

Thanx Bill for your help in input....more on this later, ken
Old 12-08-2005, 10:19 PM
3D ONdaEDGE

I have used a Zenoah gt-80 for the past few years. I have my throttle servo mounted on the firwall. I am using a 9 channel futaba PCM reciever. I have done nothing special to prevent interference. NOTHING. I have noticed that it really doesnt matter. If you are gonna have problems, then you are gonna have problems regardless of where your components are mounted. I have mounted ingnitons 2 inches from batteries and switches and servos. I have never had a problem arrise because of a gas engine. I would keep the throttle servo on the firewall if that is where you want it. I would use a nyrod instead of a metal pushrod, although my GT-80 currently has a metal pushrod. I wouldnt change the plug or the reciever. And the g-26 doesnt vibrate any more than a large single glow engine except at idle. And that is mainly because you can idle a gas engine lower than a glow engine. Other than that, put that sucker together and go fly.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:24 PM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

Hey Kaksnapper...good for you, not using PCM I mean.
Another thing you can do is take out that resistor spark plug and put in a regular plug.
The resistor plug only MASKS the RF noise.

Keep the servo on the firewall too.... moving it only masks the RF problem. Good luck...Very nice looking plane BTW.

Bob
Old 12-09-2005, 11:37 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

kaksnapper---Most all of what has been said is true, although I do disagree with most of the last post. ALWAYS use the resistor plug too.
Here is a picture of my set-up with a electronic converted g-26. Not a problem to date and I don't think it would be any different with a mag set-up either.

Name:	Zx70647.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	367607  
Old 12-10-2005, 09:18 AM
bubbagates

Another thing you can do is take out that resistor spark plug and put in a regular plug.
The resistor plug only MASKS the RF noise.
This would be a very bad move. You are asking for RFI doing this
Old 12-10-2005, 08:51 PM
kaksnapper

I moved the servo approx. 12" into the fuseage...connected with nylon connecting rod.

I do have an off topic question...electonic ignition for the g-26, is there a conversion kit I can utilize or do I have to send it somewhere??? Thanx, ken

Name:	Lj24028.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	368009  
Old 12-10-2005, 09:00 PM
RTK

CH ignition makes a do it yourself one, or RCIGNTION does a conversion for around 150 give or take. The advantage of RCIGN1 is that you loose about a pound or more, and you can get rid of that bell crank. He turns the carb for you and does really top work. His ignitions are warrantied for life.
He goes by RCIGN1 here on RCU or his web address is rcignitions.com

By the way, nice looking work on that plane
Old 12-10-2005, 09:57 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: RTK

CH ignition makes a do it yourself one, or RCIGNTION does a conversion for around 150 give or take. The advantage of RCIGN1 is that you loose about a pound or more, and you can get rid of that bell crank. He turns the carb for you and does really top work. His ignitions are warrantied for life.
He goes by RCIGN1 here on RCU or his web address is rcignitions.com

By the way, nice looking work on that plane
I have two of his engines and you cannot go wrong. Lots of power. Use what he tells you and you'll be pleased. It's worth the time. He actually sells the engine already converted for something like $400.00 but you already have yours.

What he likes to see used is a Mezjlik 18X6 and a 600Mah battery. The 600 gives something like 2 hours flying time and the prop will give you 17lbs of pulling power before the engine breaks in.

Although it's not my plane, here is a pick of the G26 converted by him in a CG Pitts Monster

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2881819
Old 12-10-2005, 10:21 PM
RTK

bubbagates hit the nail on the head. I too have 2 of Ralph's conversions.

Use the mejz 18x6 and don't look back.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:51 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: 3D ONdaEDGE

I have used a Zenoah gt-80 for the past few years. I have my throttle servo mounted on the firwall. I am using a 9 channel futaba PCM reciever. I have done nothing special to prevent interference. NOTHING. I have noticed that it really doesnt matter. If you are gonna have problems, then you are gonna have problems regardless of where your components are mounted. I have mounted ingnitons 2 inches from batteries and switches and servos. I have never had a problem arrise because of a gas engine. I would keep the throttle servo on the firewall if that is where you want it. I would use a nyrod instead of a metal pushrod, although my GT-80 currently has a metal pushrod. I wouldnt change the plug or the reciever. And the g-26 doesnt vibrate any more than a large single glow engine except at idle. And that is mainly because you can idle a gas engine lower than a glow engine. Other than that, put that sucker together and go fly.
I sure would like to know what your range check would show if you were to put in an FM receiver and range check it.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

My transmitter is a very old ProLine converted to a Micropro 8000...Receivers are Hitec FM, channel 27..Engines are Zenoah with my conversion, ignitions inside the mount..I have never used any type of shielding...My current airplane is a Super Hots running a converted Red Max 42cc brushcutter engine, RCJ7Y spark plug, with the receiver and ignition batteries within 4 inches of each other, about 12 inches from the engine..The receiver is within 3 inches of both...No glitches...
None of the G62 and GT80 magneto engines in our USRA Giant Scale race planes have any type of shielding. I know, I am the engine tech inspector at the races and have seen them all...
They mostly use JR and Futaba radios...
Old 12-11-2005, 03:26 PM
3D ONdaEDGE

Oh, so you want to know how the old 7 channel FM reciever worked that I had in it. It worked fine. I never had a bit of troublem out of it. I simply went to PCM because I was trying to save weight. I changed the batteries the Landing gear, the Spinner and the Tube. I also eliminated the matchboxes. When I did that I had to have a 9 channel reciever and the PCM was the only one I had. If you have a problem with FM it will be there with PCM. The PCM may hide it, but the causer for interference is still there.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:56 PM
kaksnapper

...the glitches seem to be happening on smaller Zenoah's, G-23 and G-26 Magneto engines. A throttle servo is a non-problematic issue onces it's mounted in an area where there won't be any RFI, I'll never have to touch it again for the life of the aircraft once mounted. Why ask for trouble??? As far as maskin anything or using a bandaid...if something isn't right (causing a problem) change it, peroid! It's no big deal putting the servo in the fuseage, and its still a strait shot. I don't want to piss away an $800-900. completed aircraft on an ego issue or talkin out of my a** cause I'm to lazy to use logic. If you got a problem, lets fix it...if you got an opinion, lets hear it. There must be thousands of G26's out there that are flyin problem free or Zenoah wouldn't be sellin them.

Thanx guys for the ignition education...if I buy another, which I probably will, I'll get one....I'll have to add weight in the nose anyway with this one and will probably sell it anyway. Thanx
ken
Old 12-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Alexzzz

I have a G62 with the throttle servo mounted on the firewall, I have no RFI at all. Radio is a T9CP with 149dp.

Old 01-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Jonas Bergström

Sopwith Pup in scale 1:3,3.
Zenoah 38 with a gear 2,8:1.
Propp 32x18 inch.
Servo on firewall.
I also have two other Zenaoh gasoline models with servo on the firewall with no problem at all.
On this type of aircraft it´s very improtant to think on the CG point.
It´s very easy to have it heavy in the tail.

Jonas

Name:	Ro42019.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	379129