Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JL F-18C ARF Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JL F-18C ARF Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 06:21 AM
Extra 230
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JL F-18C ARF Build Thread

First of all, this is meant to be an objective build thread on the above aircraft. Any inappropriate postings are not appreciated. I'm sure you all know by now what that means.......

Most build threads start by describing the arrival of a big box or several big boxes. This time, I received a surprisingly small box, in fact I was wondering if it was only a partial shipment. Opening up, however, revealed very thorough packaging, max score to JL here. The two part fuselage and all accesories were on top in separate bubble wrap bags, nice and soft, but still tight, unable to bang around in the box. Underneath, under a thick corrugated plate were the wings and tail surfaces in bubble wrap, flat packaged. Kinda like Ikea...

Initial inspection revealed nice glass work and finishing. Several of the parts had minor scratches and residue film from glue that was not properly wiped off, looks like handling at the factory could be improved. A test showed that the glue could be washed off with alcohol without affecting the finish. The canopy and main hatch fit OK, but I wil spend a couple of hours with epoxy/micro baloons and a color matched spray can on the canopy frame. I tend to be picky about close fitting hatches. The fit would probably be considered good enough by most, and is simillar to what I've seen on aircraft from "that other manufaturer". All in all a small effort compared to the overall value of this aircraft. JL supplied the wrong decals, a mail to the factory resulted in a quick response and a promise to send the correct ones. All formers seemed to be glued well in.

The picture of the complete airframe was taken after a 10 minute assembly time to check for general fit of the flying surfaces, all went on nicely.

There is no manual, but a very nice set of full size CAD drawings. Except for the stab control horns that clamp onto the pivot shaft, there is no control system hardware supplied with the kit. Hinges are pre-drilled, but not glued. All gear doors and the speed brake are supplied as separate moldings with inside shells, very nice. Door hinges and cylinders are not supplied. This is a Blue Angel, so no external stores are required, but a full set of externals is avalable as a kit or ARF from JL. The included double walled split tailpipe looked good, as did the tanks. Havn't done leak-tests yet, though.

I also purchased the scale gear, wheels and brakes. This is a very nice piece of engineering, precise machining and tight tolerances. The legs vere very nice and tight, a tiny little slop in the retracts (between the actuation pin and the pivot block), but no more than what you normally see. The legs appear to be powder coated, very good adhesion and strong surface.

All in all, in my opinion, this aircraft represents a tremendous value. I'll report as work progresses.

- T
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60983.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	367681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98687.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	367682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88678.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	367683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53632.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	367684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs95449.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	367685  
Old 12-10-2005, 06:49 AM
Stig Andersen

Default RE: JL F-18C ARF Build Thread

Hello Thore.

Can you tell us about you affiliation with RC-Flight/Norway, the Scandinavian JL Dealer. I think it is fair to let the public know.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:52 AM
Extra 230

Sure, no formal association (I'll let you know if anything changes in that respect), but we are good friends, and I fly their products. I bought the F-18 with my own money. As you can see from the thread, I try to be totally objective, both the good and bad sides are commented on.

- T
Old 12-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Stig Andersen

Thank you, Thore.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:37 AM
CFII1974
My Feedback: (5)

T- I have a build thread going on the Kit JL F-18 and I would be interested to see some of the glue work inside so I can compare my work to if I had got the ARF. I got the kit to make my bug stronger to handle my Merlin. Please Post some pics of the internals, glue seams, stab holes Ect.
If you want to look at my tread here is the link. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3535339/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3535339/tm.htm[/link]

Dave
Old 12-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Extra 230

Here are a few shots of the internals. The formers are glued in and the joints reinforced with carbonfibre rowings. Maybe not te best use of carbon from an engineering standpoint, but I'm sure it keeps things in place. Epoxy and microballoons is also employed. The are some areas in the joints between wood parts with little glue, so I will do a session with epoxy. I'll also paint the turbine compartment and wheel wells with 2-part polyurethane paint.

I'm finished with the hatches, so after finishing up inside with epoxy and paint, I'll start putting things together and continue with the report.

Fly safe,

- T

Name:	Zx71497.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	368953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36966.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	368954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62904.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	368955  
Old 12-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Extra 230

Hi all,

been working a few days on a cockpit. I'm modelling all the panels and the seat using Solid Works. I'll then proceed with ordering stereolithography (SLA) models of all the parts. Next, I'll use these masters to make silicon molds for resin molding. It's been taking a lot more time than anticipated (doesn't it allways?), but I'm getting there.

Attached is a rendering of the parts at this stage.

I'll keep you posted.

- T

Name:	Ca82064.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	371447