Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RC-10GT engine question....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 07:17 AM
coop-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC-10GT engine question....

Hi Guys....I'm building another one of these kits, I've built a few of these cars before, I've always installed an OS-12 CV-X engine in them. I like the engine, seems to run very well and reliable, what I don't like is the head, I wonder if the engine runs cool enough with that square head. My question is, should I stay with this engine and get an aftermarket head like the O'Donnell, or what would you guys recommend as an alternative engine? .....Coop
Old 01-17-2002, 12:38 PM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

The Nova Rossi is just too much fin in my GT. Very easy to tune and keep running. Too much power? You bet!!! This is what I would go with.

If you still want an OS envine, check out the O.S. .12 CV Hyper. Same performance of your old motor, but with a better head. Or the CV-R race motor. The pic is of the .12 Hyper.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1135_505.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	1513  
Old 01-17-2002, 02:07 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the cv-x is a fine engine, and will run as long as you dont set it lean. Ive run one with the stock square head and two with odonnel heads.

I have a Novarossi .12 in my Tmaxx, and I recommend that engine, it always runs, has good power, and hasnt let me down yet, even when I run it lean it keeps ticking
Old 01-17-2002, 02:49 PM
coop-RCU

Well...The Nova/Rossi sounds interesting, how about the Picco/Trinity...My local HS has those, claims 1.5 hp....might be to much power...nah...Coop
Old 01-17-2002, 04:28 PM
Elwood

Gotta go with the Rossi!!!

The Picco had production issues when they first introduced the engine. Hopefully, your LHS will not have one of these...

Name:	1143_505.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1514  
Old 01-19-2002, 08:10 AM
coop-RCU

Hi Guys....Ok, I've narrowed it down to these 2 engines: OS-12CV-R, or HPI Nitro Star Pro 12R...I was told that the HPI is made by Rossi, looks like a nice engine, a little more power than the OS, 1.25 hp verses 1.0 for the OS...I can get the HPI for less than the OS....Any opinions?....Coop

Name:	1251_1665.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1515  
Old 01-20-2002, 05:20 PM
gubbs3

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had two Picco .12's, one pull w/ standard ex., one bump start w/ round exhaust in Losi trucks. Both of them were very easy to tune and lasted very long. The bump start round exhaust engine was one of the fastest engines I've seen. It could easily out run a Nova. There were many races where it had so much power it would pull a wheelie about 2/3 down the back stretch. It sounds like you have plenty of experience tuning so any engine you get shouldn't be a problem when it comes to tuning.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:38 PM
tomatoot

hey, i lust want to remind you that if ur goin for speed check out the rpms... i dont think the 2/4 hp will make a huge difference for ur truck(i couild be wrong) thought id give you some possibly needed insight

mark
Old 01-22-2002, 06:24 AM
coop-RCU

Default Almost done....

Thanks for the replies guys...I went with the HPI engine, she's almost done, haven't had a chance to fire it up yet, but with 35,500 RPM, she should scream.....Coop

Name:	1421_1665.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1516  
Old 01-27-2002, 12:17 PM
coop-RCU

Default Update on engine...

Well guys, It runs good....WHEN you can get it started on the first tank of fuel, the one way bearing in the recoil started acting up, won't engage most of the time, then the starter rope broke, replaced that twice, realized the brass guide on the recoil housing was cutting it, the recoil spring came unhooked, wadded up inside, fixed that, and now the bearing refuses to engage at all. I've sent 2 e-mails to HPI, gotten no response...should have trusted my instincts and stayed with OS.....There, now I feel better.. ...Coop
Old 01-27-2002, 04:19 PM
Elwood

I got tired of the string thing. I went with an OFNA starter box instead. I have seen it on sale for $50. Well worth it, even more so with a high-compression engine.
Old 01-27-2002, 05:27 PM
coop-RCU

Default Starter box...

My only problem with doing that is then I can't run the 4 shoe clutch, but maybe that is overkill anyway....Coop
Old 01-28-2002, 04:19 AM
Elwood

What 4 shoe clutch is that?

I use the MIP clutch. Where I race, at the start you will see most of the trucks being held back by a "pit crew". This is so they can idle high and not stall. On mine, I can idle without moving, have great clutch engagement, and total domination in the power department due to the Rossi .12.

Try out the MIP before going to a real expensive setup. You just might like it
Old 01-28-2002, 04:40 AM
coop-RCU

Default 4 shoe clutch...

The clutch I'm using is the Associated unit, uses the stock shoes, just cut down. I cut them down, and balance them all on a powder scale. Anyway, the flywheel is smaller in diameter, doesn't stick out the bottom to engage on a starter wheel. I'll go to the stock 2 shoe clutch, like I said, the 4 shoe is overkill probabily anyway, but it is very smooth engagement...Coop

Name:	1762_1665.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1517  
Old 01-28-2002, 04:10 PM
Elwood

Now I see where you are coming from. They don't have a pullstart flywheel for the 4 shoe, huh? I still like the MIP clutch. The stock clutch does not have a spring, so it will always drag on the clutch bell. The MIP unit does, so it free-wheels at idle. I use the stock setup, with the spring and the shoes in the normal position. Give it a shot!
Old 01-30-2002, 02:23 PM
coop-RCU

Ok...I got it straightened out, I put the 2 shoe flywheel back on, this allows me to use a starter wheel on the bottom, starts right up now. It just pi#@!* me off that the one way bearing only lasted one tank of fuel, and I sent 3 e-mails to HPI Tech Support, and didn't get one reply...I guess their after purchace support isn't worth much, I at least expected a response from them so I knew they were listening....Thanks for the replies guys....Coop
Old 01-30-2002, 06:06 PM
Outlaw-RCU

I have the HPI nitro star .15 ss and that is one power house. Way more power than the os engines and the HPI is made by Rossi. The only problem I encountered was when running the stinger pipe out the back it would always lean out when the engine warmed up. I tryed everything and nothing worked. Finaly I put a large diameter pipe on the 360 header and now it runs like a charm. I had problems with my pull start to and just decided to rip it off and use a starter wheel. I did e-mail HPI on other issues and they were slow to respond but after a week or so they responded with a good answer.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:29 PM
Troy Lyman

Scott, sorry to hear about your problem. However, I don't know if you realize this or not but HPI has a forum too and we usually do very well answering questions like this there as well. Usually we do not peruse other boards as ours keeps us pretty busy. Also, the support e-mail address you sent your problem too receives 100s of e-mails a day and we try to get through them as quickly as possible.

While you probably have already received a reply to your other e-mails, all you need to do is send the one way bearing into us and we'll replace it for you. There has been a problem with these bearings in all Novarossi engines and we are dealing with the problem. Again, sorry for the delay.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:52 PM
Krusty

There is no question! The OS CVR has much more performance than the HPI. I have one (replaced my HPI) and my friend has one in his Associated truck. Wheelies on demand!!! The CVR .12 is a real powerhouse!!

Originally posted by coop
Hi Guys....Ok, I've narrowed it down to these 2 engines: OS-12CV-R, or HPI Nitro Star Pro 12R...I was told that the HPI is made by Rossi, looks like a nice engine, a little more power than the OS, 1.25 hp verses 1.0 for the OS...I can get the HPI for less than the OS....Any opinions?....Coop
Old 02-19-2008, 07:52 PM
stcla1r

Default RE: RC-10GT engine question....

yea man cvr's rock!!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 05:53 PM
bowelmovement
Banned

ORIGINAL: coop-RCU

Hi Guys....I'm building another one of these kits, I've built a few of these cars before, I've always installed an OS-12 CV-X engine in them. I like the engine, seems to run very well and reliable, what I don't like is the head, I wonder if the engine runs cool enough with that square head. My question is, should I stay with this engine and get an aftermarket head like the O'Donnell, or what would you guys recommend as an alternative engine? .....Coop
Hi guys, I'm building a severe case of the taco ****s, any suggestions?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:51 PM
CabbageFarts
Banned

the smell is too foul
Old 02-27-2012, 04:44 PM
BulgarianBullwhip
Banned

ORIGINAL: coop-RCU

that engine is so yesterday
Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 PM
BulgarianBullwhip
Banned

bump
Old 02-27-2012, 09:16 PM
BulgarianBullwhip
Banned

hot lunch</p>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.