Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

axi VS Hacker Vs. Himax Vs . . .

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

axi VS Hacker Vs. Himax Vs . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 11:39 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axi VS Hacker Vs. Himax Vs . . .

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of these brands (and any others I should be looking at)

Thanks

Rob
Old 12-28-2005, 10:00 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: axi VS Hacker Vs. Himax Vs . . .

As you can probably tell by the "overwhelming" response so far, this is a pretty tall order. Much of it has to do with the fact that not too many people have enough of each brand of motor to really make a useful comparison.

The old adage/cliche, "you get what you pay for," holds true to a certain degree when choosing motors. What complicates things is that motors are fairly simple devices. If the motor works and does the job asked of it, you're not going to notice the differences between "el-cheapo" motors and the top-of-the-line expensive motors. You won't notice a slight difference in efficiency. You won't notice a few RPMs.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:57 AM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

How about thin kgs like life expectancy of motor / customer service.

I fly exclusively DA engines because of their customer service...

Rob
Old 01-01-2006, 07:08 PM
mblue2050
My Feedback: (6)

I agree you get what you pay for mostly.

Horizon is good about customer support and they offer a fairly large variety of motors. Albeit incredibly slow sometimes.
They have replaced two electric motors for me no questions.
Electric customer support is tough because so many failures are the result of the user, very limited warranties

Life expectancy depends on your set-up and flying habits. Heat kills..over amping the battery... etc. Electrics are more fragile then gas based on my one year in electrics. I am sure some will argue the other way, just my experience so far.

You will notice the advantages of brushless over brushed.

For me its days or weeks of research before setting an electric plane or heli up. Part of the fun of the build for me. There are motor calculators on line but I do not think they are law. Just do the math and get a meter and temp guage to chack things yourself. Lots you can do to prevent failure bench testing.

Electric motors and batteries are making large leaps at the moment. I do not think any one out there to compete with a DA 150 just yet. At least not in the same weight to power class.

Just watch and see though, its been amazing just this last year.

Michael