Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

A Delta is Conceived!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

A Delta is Conceived!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 12:23 AM
czech89
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Delta is Conceived!

I'm bored with all the ARF's, so decided to design my own delta that will be capable of 199.9 mph. Basic specs so far: 4" rocket tube fuse, 16.5" ogive nose cone, span 37", length 54", Dry weight 7-7.5 lbs, Spring-air retracts, Turbine 14lbs. I am curious what the correct CG is for a delta. My plan is to use a CG at 15% MAC. Any constructive comments are welcome. Terry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51814.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	380683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13042.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	380684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10581.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	380685  
Old 01-04-2006, 01:10 AM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: A Delta is Conceived!

How about these online calculators:

http://www.palosrc.com/instructors/cg.htm

http://home.comcast.net/%7Etipstrickslinks/wingarea.htm
Old 01-04-2006, 09:24 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

As usual, it´s nice to see someone´s new concept. and IMO it will fly well with the proportions and CG stated in the plans..

as a suggestion, you can use a vortex generator device to improve the handling of the plane at low speeds , as well a good amount of washout.

b.regards, Enrique
Old 01-04-2006, 09:36 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

14 lbs on a 8 lb airframe? Now that's what I'm talking about. you should be able to hit around 199.9mph with that combination at .255556 throttle .

This one is going to rock.

Good luck. Looks awesome.

David
Old 01-04-2006, 12:04 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting concept. Reminds me of my Enforcer. Here's a couple of thoughts:

How are you planning to get sufficient air to the turbine? You'll obviously need some inlet scoops, or perhaps cut away the tube above and before the turbine.

You may want to move the turbine back so that the tail cone extends outside of the tube, otherwise heat will be a problem.

Keep in mind that a round fuse will not generate much lift. With the fuse that long you may need canards to keep the nose up, especially in turns.

The CG looks a bit too forward, if you added canards it would be about right. I suggest that you make a scale glider to fine tune the CG location. I don't believe the online calculators are very precise. Another thought is to make a flying prototype with a pusher prop

14# is way too much thrust. If the airfoil is not too thick it should easily do 200 mph with 7-8 # thrust. Also your wing loading will be quite high with the weight of a 14# turbine and 3-4# of fuel. You might consider a MW44, Simjet 700, or a dialed down Artes Bee.

A better idea is to make your plane bigger. My Enforcer is approximately 48" ws by 60" long and you have to keep it close in. It weighs 12# dry (15.5# wet) with an 11# thrust Ram 500. It's been clocked at 160 mph and can get away from you in a hurry.

You'll need significant material upgrades, wing and turbine mount reinforcements. At the speeds you are talking I doubt that a cardboard tube with a foam wing would stay together.

What kind of fins do you have in mind? You will need a functional rudder.

Here's a picture of my highly modified Enforcer which flies very well. You are off to a good start keep us informed of your progress.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96006.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	380874  
Old 01-04-2006, 12:53 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well, if this plane is intended fore some kind of speed contest........it should do nicely
Old 01-04-2006, 03:16 PM
czech89
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks for the ideas and comments gents! Joe, good idea to move the turbine back so exhaust temp is not a problem. I will most likely build a smaller glider to tweak the CG. As far a structure, the fuse is phenolic and is designed for model rockets traveling several hundred mph. It will be reinforced with carbon fiber at high stress locations. The wings will be sheeted, glassed and reinforced with carbon fiber as well. The wing spar will be a one piece 1/2" carbon tube. I have not got around to the fin yet, but was contemplating a single vertical mounted on top of the fuse for reduced drag. I will update as it progresses! Terry
Old 01-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If the wing is very thin, you may have a problem creating a strong enough joint between the wing spar and the wing's foam. Might I suggest at least two or three 1/8" ply ribs on each side (like a Roo wing).
Old 01-04-2006, 05:07 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Terry,
I agree with Wocketman, and was mainly concerned about the wing to fuse joint. I was thinking about a couple of formers with extensions on each side that act as wing spars. Kind of like this: -O-.

It may be difficult to mount a single fin on top of the turbine and have room for a former and proper reinforcement. Two smaller fins mounted out on the wings would add a lot of stability, and if done right could also help strengthen the wings.

Make sure that you carve some washout into the elevons and that you have a couple degrees of reflex.

Joe
Old 01-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Joe, that's a GREAT idea. Make two of the spar supporting ribs grow at into the verticals or at least part of the supporting structure for the two verticals!