Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Jack Stafford 1967 Chipmunk Plans build

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Jack Stafford 1967 Chipmunk Plans build

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 06:19 PM
racingjeff1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jack Stafford 1967 Chipmunk Plans build

Hi out there, has anyone built the Chipmunk from the 1967 Jack Stafford plans? I know there is now a JS kit out there but I would like to know if someone scratch built from the original plans.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
The following users liked this post:
Balsabringer (07-17-2024)
Old 02-19-2006, 09:55 AM
RCFlyer98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jack Stafford 1967 Chipmunk Plans build

Hello:
Your post is fairly old, since this is the middle of February.
I do have an original kit, that is untouched, complete in the box, that I will never build. I've had it since that era in which it was produced. I would be interested in selling it if you would be interested.

thanks, Bryan
Old 03-14-2006, 02:35 PM
colvinro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Jack Stafford 1967 Chipmunk Plans build

Hi Jeff,
I built at least 3 Jack Stafford Chipmunks back in the early 80's, 2 - from kits and one I scratch built from his plans. The Stafford Chipmunk was one of the best flying models I have ever had. I could do everything with them and they were very fast with the SuperTigre 60's I used. Jack's method of construction is easy, strong and fast building. The formers are very simple and can easily be cut out on a jig saw or band saw in 10 minutes. The finished model is very true in scale shape and very light. The trickiest part of the build is setting up the internal rudder & tail wheel arm and elevator control horn while you are building the fuselage. It is not difficult, but it is a little tight where the clevis rods pass each other inside the tail. It is well worth the effort because the result is a beautiful tail section without any external linkage arms visible on the outside of the plane. I never had any problems with his setup and with the modern radios we have today you can adjust your trims from the transmitter anyway.
I would love to get a set of these plans again myself (I can't believe I did not keep a set of them). What I would do now is scale it up to take a 2.4cc GAS engine and maybe add retracts to build one of the Art Scholles versions.

Good luck and I hope some others jump in on this. Rick
The following users liked this post:
Balsabringer (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 02:41 PM
Balsabringer

Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plane! [sic]
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about halfway thru a JS kit of this plane, Can I consult with you when I have a question?