Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Best Choice For High End Twin

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Best Choice For High End Twin

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 04:07 PM
dave long

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Choice For High End Twin

I am very interested in trying a twin. I have been hard at RC for 2 years and have progressed to a 29% AW Edge (aerobatics), Hotliner Glider (electric sailplane), Shrike with Jett50 (speed), 5th scale P51 (classic scale), Seamaster Seaplane (marine craft) and several cool brushless electrics (quiet speed). I am 70% flyer and 30% builder. My transportation can handle 80" max in length. Cost is NOT my number 1 concern. A reliable, relatively quick and easy to build, great looking plane IS my number 1 objective. Where do I start with my first twin? This seems to be a specialty area and even the larger hobby shops are not "up to speed". Only a few guys fly them at the field and they are pretty funky. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:04 PM
flying2bill
My Feedback: (2)

Define funky, as to quote twinman (hope you don't mind George)

"TWINS MAKE YOU CRAZY"
Old 11-24-2002, 05:19 PM
flying2bill

Now for something I hope will be helpful. People being the lot that they are will usually warm up when they discover that you are interested in the same thing they are. I suspect the hard part will be try to prove genuine intrest and not passing curiosity. There are a couple of good threads right here in this forum on first twins, there is also a twins forum on rcwarbirds.com that has relevant info on first twins. You are on the right track with reliability, that is the key. Don't make it like my first, a swap meet special, not very straight, over weight, slightly underpowered, not really fit to fly and some how I managed to get a dozen flights out of it before the one engine tumble of death. Now I am forever hooked
Old 11-25-2002, 12:05 AM
twinman

Default Twins

Unfortunately there are very few twins and fewer sport twins.
I have posted (See "Looking for my first twin" below) before how to bash into twins and it works.
My current favorites are a twin fuse ugly stick at 84" and two ST 90's and a twin fuse long john with two ST 45's.
These are kind of 100' standoff scale F-82". Being that the originals are arf's, of the stick, they are easy to build and quick. Seem you are into aerobatics.....OK twins can do it too and look neater, My opinion, doing it.
Consider to mix the engines to the rudder(s). Unbelievable hammer heads, flat spins ( That instantly recover by reversing the rudder, and so the engine thrust) and knife edges.
Mix the elevator into the ailerons for more lift on manuvers.
Let your imagination go.....but remember...Reliability is more important than ever and due to the increased weight, wing loading is higher on any conversion. Plan for this.
Good Luck,
Twinman
PS My two cents......but I only fly twins......so I may have a reality problem!!!!
Old 11-25-2002, 05:25 AM
dave long

Flying2bill- Funky is a nice way of saying "crap". The window of success is much smaller with a twin than a single engine plane however the 2 guys at my club that fly twins insist on flying poorly built and unreliable crap.

Twinman- Thank you for the information. I will check out the other site and continue to scour this site for more. I will be back with more questions soon. Take Care.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:04 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Dave Long:

Just found a new mid range twin, the kit has arrived but construction not started. Sort of a Duellist knock-off but a much easier build. Kit is $154.95 to your door. Twin-Air 45

. www.ne-aero.com
. [email protected]
. (605) 465.6508

As an attention getter, a twin does it better.

Bill
Old 11-25-2002, 06:14 PM
dave long

Thanks Bill. I appreciate the help.