Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

glow drivers

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 04:48 PM
FXD
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glow drivers

i am thinking about putting glow drivers on kb61.they are going on a twin. g44 widgeon. any one using glow drivers with any info would be helpful .fxd
Old 11-29-2002, 08:32 PM
mucksmear

Default glow drivers

Im usinging "expert's" onboard glow unit on a duellist (pair of inverted 0.S. 46sfp). Seems to be a good unit. Can take a 4-5 cell pack and outputs a regulated voltage for the glowplug.

My problem is I've located it and its battery at the center of the wing, necessitating longish wire leads that run out to the nacelles, then forward to the engines. I believe I'm getting some significant voltage drop/loss in the wires, making for a marginal set up as far as trying to start the engines using the onboard system is concerned. Better solution might be to get two ($$) and mount one in each nacelle with short wires to the plugs, and long wires to a y-connector at the rx.

THere are simpler methods such as mounting a "sub-c" or a "c" cell in each nacelle, triggered by a microswitch, triggered by something in the throttle linkage.

hope that helps.
-E
Old 11-30-2002, 04:09 PM
TJK
My Feedback: (69)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Check Nelson hobbies

Check with Nelson Hobby at

www.nelsonhobby.com

look under "electronic add-ons"

They have a glow driver that is triggered by glow plug temperature. This is much more effecient than a system that is triggered by throttle position. Plug temp triggering allows the driver to work at all times when it senses the need; ie vertical maneuvering, inverted flight, etc. There is a writeup in the latest RC Modeler magazine that better explains the advantages.

I have a couple of glow drivers that are activated by throttle position, but I will try the Nelson unit on my next project.

Tom
Old 11-30-2002, 10:57 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Default glow drivers

ITEM NO. ESH1..............$49.95!

Ouch. I think I'd go with a multie cell pack and have a pot on it to regulate the voltage out at the eng of the leads.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:00 AM
JoeMamma

Default Glow Drivers

To : TJK

I too read the same Clarence Lee article in RCM (Jan. '03, pages 26-28).

I currently have the ElectroDynamic's on-board glow drivers on 4 different scale/semi-scale aircraft. All 4 of these aircraft use inverted and cowled engines, so the on-board drivers are very convenient.

I was curious about the engine starting procedures using the Nelson unit.

The ElectroD's are supplied with a small LED indicating "power on" to the glow plug. I usually locate this LED somewhere on the top of the plane. A small pot on the control unit allows me an adjustment of the ON/OFF power points. I have the units set to supply power to the glow plugs at anything less than about 1/8-1/4 throttle.

My starting procedure is: throttle stick at idle, radio ON, aircraft ON (LED indicator is now ON), advance throttle to full open position (LED indicator is now OFF), place a finger over the muffler outlet, flip the prop through a couple or three turns for a carb prime, bring throttle stick down just 'til the LED turns ON, and then start the engine. This procedure works great for me ! A good start every time !

I am very careful when priming the engine to be sure the throttle is wide-open and the LED is OFF (last time I counted, all the fingers are still there). If not, the engine may start in the wide-open position. Wouldn't want to do that !!

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'd like to know how carb priming is accomplished with the Nelson unit ? It seems to me as soon as the aircraft radio is turned ON, you will have power to the plug irregardless of throttle position.

I'd like to try one of these units; great concept; Lee's RCM article sounded good.

I'm planning on calling Nelson on Monday. Again, maybe I'm missing something.
Old 12-01-2002, 02:57 PM
FXD
My Feedback: (3)

Default glow drivers

joe good question on how you would start engines. let me know what you find out. my real question is do glow drivers really stop flame outs in flight. fxd
Old 12-01-2002, 03:52 PM
JoeMamma

Default Glow Drivers

To : FXD

Get a hold of the current RCM (Radio Control Modeler, Jan. '03) and take a look at the article for a detailed explanation. The concept sounds great.

Quite commonly, an RC glow engine may load up slightly depending on throttle opening and position, and may cause a flame-out. This unit knows when the plug is cooling off (such as with a rich load-up). From the Clarence Lee article, he states "it offers flame-out protection throughout the entire throttle range, not just the low and idle throttle settings". This sounds great to me !!

If I get the chance , I'm planning on a call to Nelson Hobby tomorrow.