Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

CF Push Rods

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 05:43 PM
grind2tenths
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CF Push Rods

I am in the process of putting together a 33% Aero Works Extra 330 L ARF. The guy that had it before me took off the H9 Pro Links so I am making some CF ones out of .157 dia. CF tube that is tapped in 4-40 .750 dp and then I used JB weld on the threads to lock it down. The longest rod is approx 3 inches long counting the threads. Will this be strong enough or do I need to go with a larger CF tube and use full length threaded rod? I am not trying to be a cheapo but these should be really light and strong and for the price of 2 Pro Links I can make all the pushrods for the plane with stuff left over for another plane.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:31 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: CF Push Rods

If you want a CF pushrod, your best bet is to get the CF rod and titanium ends from Central Hobbies. The rod and 4-40 titanium inserts are sized just right. The ends are held in with JB weld and I have never had one come loose. The titanium ends will not bend under any load they'll ever see. Threaded rod will bend.

That being said, I really prefer the H9 links since you can adjust everything without having to undo one side of the link. Since the link has opposite threading it makes setup a snap.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:38 PM
Lafus Maximus
My Feedback: (48)

I just made up pushrods for my 30% TOC yak a while ago and I used 4-40 all thread with a cf sleeve. Troy Built models sells the cf tubing for doing just that. They came out great, and they are super strong. I used JB weld to put the sleeve on the 4-40 all thread.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:18 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the centralhobbies.com vote for pushrods. The rods are made for strength lengthwise. This means the fibers run the whole length of the tube. By threading metal rod into the end you damage and cut some of the fibers, weakening the rod assembly. Check out central hobbies, you'll like what you see, and they are actually priced really good.

Sean
Old 02-14-2006, 10:49 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

I lost my pattern plane to Centrals design.

Seems the JB weld didn't quite hold on the aileron pushrods.

I now only use threaded rod through the pushrod. If the CF weakens and breaks at least you still have the threaded insert to get you home safely.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:02 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

I didnt mean full length runs of threaded rod, just threading and gluing them into the end of the cf rod. I am suprised to see your complaint about the CH rods. First one I have seen, then again I haven't been looking.

Sean
Old 02-16-2006, 09:36 AM
grind2tenths
My Feedback: (17)

Went with the Pro-Links. Man those things are nice, just screw them in equal amount put them on the horns, adjust to center and you are done. Now I just need to add some 1/8 ply to my servo mounts so the lock nut on the bottom of my Airwild MLP servo arms won hit the wing. Thanks guys.