Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Kyosho mantis custom upper control arms

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Kyosho mantis custom upper control arms

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 03:28 AM
Ward-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho mantis custom upper control arms

Ok, I am working on a set of adjustable upper control arms for my mantis. Heres my plan, just thought you guys might be interested. This general plan should work on just about any R/C car with similar upper control arms, but please note that these measurements are for the kyosho mantis. Other models will surely differ.

I don't like the crappy stock suspension geometry, which maintains zero camber throughout the entire suspension travel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	38893_20625.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	24254  
Old 12-03-2002, 04:09 AM
Ward-RCU

I have also already done a slight mod to the front upper control arms. I have noticed some understeer at high speed which I believe is due to the lack of any negative camber on the front wheels. Here is a free way to add some negative camber to your kyosho mantis.

If you look at the attached figure below, you will see that there is an unused hole on the top of the spindle. Simply remove the screw holding the upper control arm to the spindle (hub), and re attach it to the unused hole.

This will effectively add negative camber by chagning the angle of the upper control arm, having the same type of effect as a shorter control arm.

As an important sidenote, so not perform this mod if you are using the maximum ride height. For this mod to correctly work, the upper control arm cannot be paralell to the ground, the car must be sitting low enough where the end of the control arm is higher at the wheel than at the frame.

Name:	38917_20625.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	24255  
Old 12-03-2002, 04:10 AM
Ward-RCU

This one illustrates the differences in geometry.

Name:	38919_20625.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	24256