Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should I just go ahead and order a starter box now?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Should I just go ahead and order a starter box now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 04:16 AM
grampi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I just go ahead and order a starter box now?

I just know if I don't, the pull start is going to go tango uniform on me, and I'll be stuck not being able to operate my RC 10 while I'm waiting for my starter box to get here. I just don't have much confidence in the reliability of the pull start on this thing. I've heard too many complaints about them breaking.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:01 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Default Like the cheap spare tires in new car trunks

I think you answered your own question.

I know that all things come to an end. Also some people are just harder on things than others. If you know the limits of a pull starter then you'll probably be able to use it for some time before it goes south on you. Of course their is always the possibility of getting a rig with a bad pull starter from the get go. I would think if you don't like pulling on things cause your not sure if you'll get the results you want......then a starter box added to your arsenal might just be what you need. It can boil down to.....how much patience do you have? Pull...Pull...Pull....OR.......bump....start.....b ump....start......STARTED.

It's your call!

Good Luck.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:29 PM
grampi

I wouldn't mind the pull starts if they were just more reliable. Trouble is , they aren't.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:38 PM
RCnewbie4Now

Will a starter box work on the RC10GT without making the modification to the engine? From what I understand you do not have to take the pull start off to use a starter box, but in a magazine I have it shows directions on how to remove the pull start. Is there a benefit to taking the removing the pull start?
Old 12-05-2002, 02:49 PM
grampi

Originally posted by RCnewbie4Now
Will a starter box work on the RC10GT without making the modification to the engine? From what I understand you do not have to take the pull start off to use a starter box, but in a magazine I have it shows directions on how to remove the pull start. Is there a benefit to taking the removing the pull start?
According to the folks at Tower Hobbies, the DuraTrax 1/10 universal starter box will work on the RC 10 with no mods. The only advantage I can see to removing the pull stater is weight savings.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:36 PM
dg2b

I heard that the one-way bearing on the pull starter may give a little friction (although I heard insignificant) thus allowing the non-pull start engines a little advantage getting up to its rpm.

I owned an OS CVX once but was converted to non-pull. Always been using N/P since then.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:47 PM
speedoo

Just two weeks ago I was qualifying for a race and my pull stater started binding my engine and lost 2 seconds a lap. Take the pull starter out. Cut the rope, take the spring out but put the spring and cord holder back in. Get rid of it, it will slow you down.
Old 12-06-2002, 12:05 AM
dg2b

speedo - one reason for my disliking pull start engines.

What I would do is to cut off (with a dremel) the button for the pull start in the crank and just buy a back plate. The back plate should be under $10. Much cleaner and not worrying about leaked.

BTW, 2 seconds is a lot if you are leading or trailing the leader. Hope you still did well in the race
Old 12-06-2002, 12:42 AM
speedoo

When I qualified I dropped down from 3rd to 5th out of 14 cars. We ran 2 - 5 minute qualifying rounds. The combination of both times determined the position on starting the race. Half way during the 30 minute race a rookie driver t-boned my car knocking my steering linkage off the right side of my car. By the time I got that fixed I finished 9th. Anyway thats racing. Our next race is on the 22nd of this month and I can't wait as my pull starter is history which means I should qualify further up the pack and away from the rookies.