Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage X, LST2, or Hellfire???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 12:17 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Savage X, LST2, or Hellfire???

Well, I drunk-ebayed the other day, and now a Savage X is on the way. I took my ole' stock 25 out yesterday, and it ran PERFECTLY. I love that thing. Anyway, I'm not sure yet if I'm gonna' keep the X. My 25 has been a very very good truck, and so far still is. Plus I saw some VERY convincing bash videos of an LST2 recently , plus LOTS of even Savage guys seem to go on about how great the LST2 is.

So what do you think? Old-school Savage 25 + Savage X, or old-school Savage 25 + LST2?

I just bash, but I like speed...(so that would be like, Savage for the former - i.e. AIR, and the LST2 for the latter...)

ps If I keep the X, I'm probably gonna just drop in a huge motor like an SH 28 and see what happens.... I like tha the LST2 is bigger though,and faster. I'm guessing though there are durability issues... It's expensive as hell here in Germany too...

While were at it, let change things up here. Throw a Hellfire into the equation as well. Then what? Just want to hear peoples' two cents' worth....
Old 03-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Savage X, LST2, or Hellfire???

Just my 2 cents, I would go with the hellfire over the LST2, just because of how durable the Sav. is. The X is just a revamped version of the of the 25/SS in my opinion, although it is nicely done. The LST2 is a nice truck as well, but the durability issues are still present in the arms and gears. If you want to upgrade to the TiNi gears and RPM arms when they come out then I think the LST2 would be an hell of a truck as well, I love my LST1, but I have already done a number of upgrades and I only bust a tie rod every now and then. Again this is just my 2 cents, I would have to go with the Hellfire, but on the same token truggies aren't well known for bashing good, so if your going to do that, stick with the X, not an LST2, unless you plan to upgrade what I said earlier.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:11 AM
tmodlin

My advice is to stop drunk-ebaying. If I were you I would go with the LST1 route if you can find a nice used one that has had the needed upgrades. You already have a Savage, try the LST.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:21 AM
bighitbiker3

I would go with the Hellfire and just hop the crap out of that .25. There is no need for another MT IMO. I would go with the Hellfire if you like speed and handeling.

Thanks,
Elliott
Old 03-07-2006, 02:41 AM
HerrSavage

If I go with the Hellfire, it will be strictly bashing, though not the kind of psycho airs I wouldn't be scared to do with my Savage. Just really fast thrashing all over the place on mostly flat surfaces...
Old 03-07-2006, 04:56 AM
Crossett

ORIGINAL: Bash-m-up

Just my 2 cents, I would go with the hellfire over the LST2, just because of how durable the Sav. is.
This statement is retarded. Just because the hellfire and the savage are both made by HPI means nothing durability wise between the two. The hellfire is a single speed, which sucks in a large heavy vehicle.

ORIGINAL: Bash-m-up

The LST2 is a nice truck as well, but the durability issues are still present in the arms and gears. If you want to upgrade to the TiNi gears and RPM arms when they come out then I think the LST2 would be an hell of a truck as well, I love my LST1, but I have already done a number of upgrades and I only bust a tie rod every now and then. Again this is just my 2 cents, I would have to go with the Hellfire, but on the same token truggies aren't well known for bashing good, so if your going to do that, stick with the X, not an LST2, unless you plan to upgrade what I said earlier.
LST1's have control arm issues, LST2's dont. LST2 arms are stronger than RPM arms with the stock turnbuckle. Every issue that the LST1 had was fixed with the 2. The only time i've broken suspension pieces on mine is when i hit something HARD, and that's driver error not poor durability.

"durability issues"..... please

Old 03-07-2006, 05:15 AM
jonmills

cant really say which to go with coz my savage is the first rc ive had, but like me very occasionlly goin on poker drunk, i would go with tmodlin on this one n stop drunk ebayin..... not a good look..... but id probably go with the lst or hellfire if uv already got a savage.. good luck pickin
Old 03-07-2006, 06:39 AM
HerrSavage

There is the price factor:

I'm getting the Savage X for €452 shipped. Most e-bay shops are selling for about €575 shipped. Good price, either to keep, or to sell and make a small profit(sure I could get €500)

HPI is well represented in Germany, so Savage and Hellfire parts should be more or less readily available. HPI in general though is expensive. For a new Hellfire I'd be looking at €650 minimum.

With the LST2, they're still quite new here, and a new one costs €730, which is just too much. Still, every once in a while one goes on auction for €650 or so. Overall, I'm very intrigued by the LST2(IF IF IF it's really durable - even if only %80 as durable as a Savage..), but it is very expensive. If I broke something it'd take twice as long and cost twice as much as with the other two trucks.(RPM arms?? Yeah right.. Where?)

So as far as the LST2 goes, the question really boils down to - is it really THAT MUCH better than the other two? €700 is a hell of a lot of dough for anything less durable than a Savage, especially when you factor in availabilty and price doubts about spare/tuning parts....

And yeah - I've learned my lesson about drunk e-baying..(but it coulda' been worse - I mean, my penalty is getting a Savage X for a good €100 cheaper than most shops are selling 'em for.......................)
Old 03-07-2006, 12:29 PM
azzman

Ah you have the X on the way...just stick with two savvys...
Old 03-07-2006, 12:35 PM
HerrSavage

Just got confirmation that it'll be shipped Thursday - so here for the weekend. Gonna' be AWFUL HARD to not pull it out and at least look it over. And maybe just break in the engine.... And then just maybe run it up and down the road a few times....

AND AND AND.

ps The same shop is auctioning off two more here in Germany, ending in an hour or so - both for higher prices than mine. That's nice.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:43 PM
HerrSavage

I'm still newbish, so I have a simple question. If I keep the X, can I just drop in a K4.6(+ a 3 speed, which I already have..) or other bigger motor, or do I have to do a bunch of other mods??????? I've heard of bigger motors devouring drivetrains, etc..

And what's this about some guys having problems keeping the front ends down of their X's anyway? Sounds like the new X is pretty peppy....
Old 03-08-2006, 12:51 AM
bighitbiker3

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

I'm still newbish, so I have a simple question. If I keep the X, can I just drop in a K4.6(+ a 3 speed, which I already have..) or other bigger motor, or do I have to do a bunch of other mods??????? I've heard of bigger motors devouring drivetrains, etc..

And what's this about some guys having problems keeping the front ends down of their X's anyway? Sounds like the new X is pretty peppy....
Yes those accessories will just bolt on!

-Elliott
Old 03-08-2006, 02:52 PM
HerrSavage

Hey guys, after giving this some more precise thought, I think I need to slightly alter my question. As I've been looking to upgrade my Savage 25 motor anyway, and now have an X on the way, it would be awfully simpler to just drop the F4.1 into my old Savage, and then get a K4.6 for the X, which would also be getting the 3-speed I already have. So the revised question is:

How would a 3-speed/K4.6 Savage hold up against an LST2? The LST2 videos I saw were pretty cool.. And I LOVE my Savage 25, but I want to get into the realm of STUPID FAST.

The other possibility would be to sell the X without even opening it, maybe sell some other tuning bits and pieces I've got laying around, and splash out on a Hellfire. But that's kind of a whole different concept, and I'm not sure it's the right one.... So yeah, :

Savage X w/ 3-speed and K4.6 motor,

LST2,

or Hellfire?

Whuddaya think?
Old 03-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Kanza

Comparing an LST2 against a Savage is an apples vs. oranges equation. The LST2 handles much better, but a three-speed Savage will run away from the Losi in a straight line. Plus, the Savage is bombproof. If you're looking for something that handles well and is easy to work on, go with the LST. If you want to fully abuse your truck, keep one of the Sav's

For my SS, the X's easy access diff housings and transmission case, the updated radio box, and the new shock towers are already on order. All of these are going into a truck with the K4.6 and the three speed. I am keeping the high ground clearance chassis, aluminum rollbar, thicker A-arms and upper links.

BTW: if you are going to buy the Hellfire, wait for the kit. The RTR seems to be going through some "first run" teething problems
Old 03-08-2006, 10:23 PM
bighitbiker3

I would wait on the Hellfire kit. The LST is a whole different truck with different pro's and con's. I would stay with your savage that you have and buy the Hellfire kit when it comes out. Just resell the X on ebay and sell it for more than you bought it for!

-Elliott
Old 03-09-2006, 04:19 AM
HerrSavage

Yeah I suppose you guys are right. The LST, though probably a cool racer, is just too expensive for bashing...

As far as selling the X, yeah, that would be the SENSIBLE thing to do... But then what is sensible about this whole hobby. In six months I've gone from swearing I wouldn't spend over €200 to having spend over €3000(including a laptop and video camera, the primary reason for which is to eventually make some cool videos..)

And as for keeping the X, well, I had a bunch of tuning stuff sent over from the States, and have been wanting to upgrade my 25 motor anyway, so there is a kind of nice symmetry in keeping the X, swapping the F4.1 over to the X, and buying a K4.6 on auction on ebay for the X. Plus I already have the 3-speed, Hitech 645, Venom smarttemp, ribbed pipe, et al - all just sitting there. So yeah, selling the X would be sensible, but I just can't ignore the idea of having my old-school 25 next to a new school, pimped out X...

But thanks guys - I think I've gotten pretty much the feedback I was looking for. I would have only gotten one of the others if the feedback had been totally OVERWHELMING in its favor....

And jeeze - the idea of SMOKING an LST2 in a straight line is pretty damn cool....
Old 03-09-2006, 05:14 AM
boydie1

Keep both savages as you will definitely enjoy both. Have you considered any of the cheaper .28 engines over the K4.6 or either the OS.30 or the Collari/Surefire.32 if you want STUPID FAST. My SH.28 is faster and more powerful than my mates K4.6 and is a third the price. Also having gone head to head with a LST2 with both my savages (with 3 speed) plus the K4.6 (also a 3 speed), the only one that beat the Losi was my Collari.32. This was done on both grass and loose dirt. The LST2 has a high and low range setting in the transmission which allows for different conditions, coupled up with larger wheels IT IS FAST!
It's also a pity the X is so visible on the TVP or you could just tell your other half you only have one savage and keep the other one hidden....thats what I did [X(]
Old 03-09-2006, 01:58 PM
azzman

It's also a pity the X is so visible on the TVP or you could just tell your other half you only have one savage and keep the other one hidden....thats what I did
LOL
Old 03-09-2006, 04:00 PM
E-maxxer

lst's transmissions suck tho.

and if u happen to break a shock u will pay an arm and a leg for just one.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:14 PM
hamburger44

my lhs "guide" is a big LST fan. i was going to get a savage but he told me how much more durable the lst wass, its also a LOT bigger. the LST2 fixes every problem the lst had. GET THE LST2!!!!!![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-09-2006, 04:32 PM
A.B.U

ORIGINAL: E-maxxer

lst's transmissions suck tho.

and if u happen to break a shock u will pay an arm and a leg for just one.
You ever open up one of em? There's not been one problem with an LST's transmisson that I've heard of. Kid, get your facts straight, you're all talk and no go. So, do me a favor, and keep your typing minimal to what you actually know.

My vote? Goes to the LST of course! Here's mine: (more to come tomorrow)

EDIT: I saw the RC Driver ratings.. I swear they dont know how to tune if they cant get it over 40mph. Because Losi got theirs @ 44mph.. LOL. Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80585.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	423187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27647.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	423188  
Old 03-09-2006, 04:59 PM
HerrSavage

Jeeze.. Last looked at these boards this morning, and it was all "keep the X." I've even heard that the X, with the K4.6 and the 3-speed would - and I quote "smoke" an LST2(that's just what I heard -and from a dude with an LST2 - but it was encouraging..) Now I guess all the LST guys have woken up..

BTW, get this..., just talked to my sister on the phone, and she offered to send me basically whatever I want from Tower in the States...

Tower has Picco 27's............................

As far as the bigger motors over the K4.6, to be honest I'm concerned about destroying my drivetrain. I'm still newbish and want to keep things as simple as possible. Not knowing much.., I just assume I'd be able to just drop in a K4.6(in the end, after shipping, about the same price as an SH28 from Hong Kong..) with no other mods. With the SH28(and yeah, I've definitely heard it's an awesome engine) though, I'd be concerned about having to do a bunch of other(complicated or expensive or both..) upgrades...

But now, after talking to my sister, I'm thinking Picco 27. Are they hard to tune? I want something that won't take a lot of fiddling... And would I be able to just drop it in the X along with the 3-speed, and go?....
Old 03-09-2006, 07:45 PM
E-maxxer

You ever open up one of em? There's not been one problem with an LST's transmisson that I've heard of. Kid, get your facts straight, you're all talk and no go. So, do me a favor, and keep your typing minimal to what you actually know.

I dont have to open one to find out that it has problems dumbass.Yes im flaming at ur dumbass because ur a man who likes to run at the mouth and cant serve up to what he's talking about. GO TO SOME REAL LST FOURMS AND THEY'LL TELL YOU ITS GOT SOME TRANNY PROBLEMS.I know plenty and yes im a kid and I can go at it real good pal.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:29 PM
A.B.U

ORIGINAL: E-maxxer

I dont have to open one to find out that it has problems dumbass.Yes im flaming at ur dumbass because ur a man who likes to run at the mouth and cant serve up to what he's talking about. GO TO SOME REAL LST FOURMS AND THEY'LL TELL YOU ITS GOT SOME TRANNY PROBLEMS.I know plenty and yes im a kid and I can go at it real good pal.
Hahaha, good. Did you know the top LST site was LSTCentral.com? DID you know Im a member there? DID YOU KNOW.. that NOBODY there has had ANY tranny issues, except the REVERSE/FWD servo saver was loose, causing it to slip? HA... obviously not. The stock tranny it top of the line, smoothest out of all RTR's; and everyone knows it. so, while you're this big airhead, thinkin' you know something which you do NOT, I advise you to stop. Because you;re blowing steam which way and the other, and you are STILL clueless about what the hell you are talking about. Oh btw, tell me, in almost 3 gallons, why I havent stripped ANY type of gears in my tranny, or diffs. OR.. well, let the truth be told, ANYWHERE, except some screws. Now, Ill let you keep on going and telling these little lies, but just a little FYI, I can see right through you.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:25 PM
PillowPants

I think what this tard means by tranny issues with the LST2 is that you need to loctite it.. And ABU,just get out of these savage forums. 95% of the guys are freakin retards in here. I myself have a savvy, but this forum sucks too bad so i just pass it by.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.