Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Building from a kit & ran out of balsa

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Building from a kit & ran out of balsa

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 05:10 PM
Buz_Bo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building from a kit & ran out of balsa

I'm building a OMP Edge 540 and ran out of balsa. Still have the ailerons to build, so i went to the LHS and bought some 1/4x1/4 and 1/4x3/8. The balsa is the standard "house of balsa brand" and it just does not appear to be the same grade that came with the kit. The density of the wood is not as dense as the wood that came with the kit. Should I find a better source to buy better quality balsa to finish the ailerons with or am I being paranoid. Just don't want to lose a plane because of poor quality balsa.
Old 12-07-2002, 07:37 PM
BingoFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building from a kit & ran out of balsa

You might try the LHS for 1/4" sheet that has the density you are looking for and then, using a stripping tool, cut your own strips of 1/4sq and 1/4X3/8, most mail order places have a Min. order on balsa but I use Balsa USA and Lone Star with good luck.
Both will hand pick your choice or density and grain for a small fee.