Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

new motor but no go

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 02:49 PM
trayman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new motor but no go

hey i just dropped my picco 27 in new clutch bell new alum clutch shoes new spur and i was breaking it in and all of the sudden it wasnt moving .... so i figured spur gear checked it out spur is fine ... then i checked the clutch shoes to make sure they were installed right and yup yup same as the manual says i even put my old ones on thinking that maybe the alum shoes were no good ... clutch bell and the spur still spins ... any ideas????? i want to finsh breaking this bad boy in i got it up to about 220 degrees gave it almost full throttle and its way faster than the .25
Old 03-18-2006, 03:05 PM
-SomeGuy-

Default RE: new motor but no go

Im not sure i understand exactly what your saying. Does the engine start up? If so is it revving but not moving?
Old 03-18-2006, 03:06 PM
trayman

yeah it runs and just revs up but not moving
Old 03-18-2006, 03:11 PM
paperclipracer
My Feedback: (3)

the spur is not moving. well if it still is then its your tranny
Old 03-18-2006, 03:13 PM
-SomeGuy-

Does your spur turn freely in both dir? Cuz if so you might have a busted tranny.

My friend had a similar problem last week, turned out that his spur was on to loose and the center melted away till there was no traction at all and he also had no damage on the teeth so check that out and if its all good then you might have to open up the tranny.

Old 03-18-2006, 03:13 PM
trayman

the spur and clutchbell are moving
Old 03-18-2006, 03:24 PM
-SomeGuy-

Make sure you let us know what it was in the end.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:28 PM
trayman

well i've been fighting this thing for like 6 hours now last night putting in the engine and taking apart the old one and now with this crap im so pissed i just dont even want to work on it anymore .... i got about 1/4 tank thru and thats it .... the spur is tightened but does spin in both directions but i think it always has .... but when i spin the spur with my finger it used to turn the wheels but now it doesnt ....
Old 03-18-2006, 03:33 PM
-SomeGuy-

When you turn it can you see the center dog bones turn also?
Old 03-18-2006, 03:38 PM
trayman

when i lift it in the air yes the dog bones turn and the wheels do too but when i put it on the ground no wheel action and i would guess the dog bones are not turning either ...
Old 03-18-2006, 03:50 PM
-SomeGuy-

Ok, try turning one of the front wheels while blocking the other to see if its getting transfered to the rear (prop it up on something), turn it in both direction then repeat in the rear. If anything is wrong with either diffs or tranny you should be able to hear some grinding or something, if not then i say check the spur again to see if it melted in the center.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:45 PM
trayman

ok i think i found out what it was i took a break went and took a nap woke up in a better mood ..... i checked the spur assembly and i used a smaller brass washer inside the spur gear on accident .. had 2 laying on the table and grabbed one of them opps wrong one well anyways im going to go out and try it right now ...
Old 03-18-2006, 06:23 PM
trayman

k it works now too small of a washer .... dumby .... i still would like to get thru more than a tank without a prob .... glow plug went bad this time replaced it and started it and it died tried to restart and now the rotostart is slipping so i have to tear it apart again ...
Old 03-18-2006, 06:31 PM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: trayman

now the rotostart is slipping so i have to tear it apart again ...
Really??? I've never had that problem on my picco .27...
Old 03-18-2006, 06:34 PM
trayman

i dont know what the hell is going on with this .... but yes its slipping so maybe i flooded it when the glow plug went bad and that caused it
Old 03-18-2006, 06:39 PM
-SomeGuy-

Are you using the roto backplate from your s-25?
Old 03-18-2006, 06:43 PM
trayman

yes the back plate for the s-25 but i picked up the ofna back plate but then i cant get the roto start will not fit in because of the shock tower ... i took the gear out of the ofna and swapped the gears and it worked well .... or so i thought . how did you do it ??
Old 03-18-2006, 06:45 PM
-SomeGuy-

I just used a hex nut to fill in space in the backplate, 1 gallon later ans its still working fine.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:49 PM
trayman

well i thought this way would work but ill try putting a hex nut in there .... i have to tear it apart again anyways forgot to put the alum clutch shoes back in ... put the stock ones in to trouble shoot ... does yours do wheelies on pavement ??? i noticed that mine was about ready to but i didnt want to go full throttle yet ... have you raced anybody with it ?? i want to shut my buddy up with his revo
Old 03-18-2006, 06:50 PM
trayman

thanks for your help to man ... really helped me out and kept me from punching holes in the wall today waiting for responces ...
Old 03-18-2006, 06:58 PM
-SomeGuy-

Up untill recently i had no one to ride with but two of my buddy's couldnt resist and both got savages, one of them has a orion wasp .26 wich is basicly a picco .26 (exact same everything exept for cooling head) and i beat him no problem but i have a 3 speed and dirt bonz while he has a 2 speed and stock t-maxx tires so no contest there. I also have a used collari .30 i got off ebay this winter (only 3/4 gallon in it) i cant wait to try it out when it gets warmer. Im sure you wont have a hard time shutting up your buddy, just remember that it takes at least 10 tanks before you start to see some real power and about 1 gallon for max power.

EDIT: and yes i wheelie all the time, this engine is IMO the best for the savage because it doesnt have insane bottom end that makes uncontrollable, just enough to show off to the usual spectators or to launch off for a race AND it has a great top end for really good top speed. I have a ribbed pipe on it and i like it better than the dual chamber, but thats just me...
Old 03-18-2006, 07:01 PM
trayman

oh yeah i know that part of it i was just amazed at the overall power so far ...
Old 03-18-2006, 09:27 PM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: trayman

thanks for your help to man ... really helped me out and kept me from punching holes in the wall today waiting for responces ...
Hey no problem, i've been helped enough times here that its my pleasure to return the favor now and then.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:42 PM
dracy69
My Feedback: (1)

well it looks like you got the answers you neede but dont let it stress you out too much, you will go through times when it seems like neverending PITA problems but when all is said and done and you spend the time to tune the carb it will pay back greatly (especially that engine). when these cars run the way they are supposed to they bring smiles to everyones faces. so always just hang in there and think about how awesome it will be when its done......just trying to help your morale a bit cuz i know how you feel (or felt)