Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Suggestions
Reload this Page >

Inappropriate Advertising on this site

Community
Search
Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!

Inappropriate Advertising on this site

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 12:50 PM
RhyanO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inappropriate Advertising on this site

I would normally be the last to judge someone or the content of something, but in this case I feel I need to say something.
I have noticed that most of the advertising on this site is content related i.e. RC advertising, which is great.
Today I noticed that there was an "intimate dating" service that is now advertising on RCU. I was shocked to see this on here, mainly because both of my sons browse this site, and this is the last thing I want them to be exposed to on this site.
In my opinion I think this site just sold itself out to make some money.

Is there anyway you can not sell advertising to sites like this?

Just voiceing my opinion.
Ryan
Old 03-22-2006, 01:21 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Inappropriate Advertising on this site

Ryan,

I have forwarded this onto the people that need to know. I have no doubt they will respond to you in either this forum or via PM. Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

This was part of a Google ad campaign that was just uploaded. It appears some content is not relevent at this time to RCU and will be filtered or completely removed. RCU's interest in advertising is for R/C content only. Good catch on your part, sorry for the trouble.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:12 PM
mvigod
Banned

Google should be targeting those ads based on site content. We put them up as an experiment to see how well they might target the search pages.

We did not sell advertising to the site you mentioned. google apparently did not target the ad correctly on your page view. I have only witnessed rc related ads so far during my testing on that page
Old 03-23-2006, 07:29 AM
RhyanO

Thank you for your timely response to this.

Ryan
Old 03-23-2006, 10:47 PM
mvigod
Banned

oh yeah..I removed the google ad and put our own homegrown rc ones back in there
Old 03-25-2006, 08:23 PM
-Inverted-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While they don't really "bother" me, being a family oriented site, kids talking to their parents about some of the ads, this one in particular could become something not so great for RCU. Heres the Ad.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

There's not much we can do about the name of a product. There's nothing in that ad or the airplanes name that is bad, it's the people who turn it into something bad that could create a problem. People can make most anything have a sexual connotation if they really wanted.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:28 AM
coolbean

I have noticed in the past couple of days that there is in an increase in scantily clad women on adds for RC Related products. I saw one for a boat yesterday and before I saw this forum I sent note to the tech support folks (sorry guys, I know it's not your area) And today I saw one for RCBoca.com. I wouldn't say I'm offended by it, but someone I work with might be and that would be the end of RCUniverse for me. I'm sure there are several other people in the same situation. Please keep this in mind when giving the OK for future banner adds.
I actually LIKE most of the banner adds on this site. It's a great way to check out new products and new manufacturers you might not have seen otherwise. But I'm not on this site looking for breasts and putting them in the add sure isn't going to get me to click it.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:09 AM
coolbean

Ok. Ran through the advertisers section and took a look at all the banner adds..
RCBoca, 4 out of 6 of their 6 adds are inappropriate. One of them doesn't even show a product.....
Aeromarine Laminaets, Their only add is inappropriate.
So that is only 2 out of all the manufactures and 5 out of hundreds of adds.. it shouldn't hurt too much to ask them if they wouldn't mind keeping it a little bit more classy than that....
http://utopia.rcuniverse.com/utopia/...&clientid=1247
http://utopia.rcuniverse.com/utopia/...&clientid=1017
Old 04-16-2006, 09:58 AM
mvigod
Banned

These ads all comply within our "Prime Time TV rule". Our posting content (moderation), photos, ads, etc all must be something that would be viewable during prime time television. If they do they pass. These ads pass that test easily. We apply the same rule to language here, slang, etc. While it won't make everyone happy we realize that this would be an impossible goal to achieve. Somebody will always disagree...it's like politics. We just try to make the most people happy.