Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Tigerdrive + Hyper 21 + Savage = Yeah or Neah?

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Tigerdrive + Hyper 21 + Savage = Yeah or Neah?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 10:28 PM
gasrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tigerdrive + Hyper 21 + Savage = Yeah or Neah?

I've done some searching and haven't found a definitive answer. The best info I've found [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2809361/anchors_2850342/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#2850342]was in this thread.[/link] I see that it is possible to use "a" tigerdrive with "an" engine with some modification. I also see that Sullivan says the Tigerdrive for the hyper 21 locates the drive where the pull cord would be. However my questions have not been answered. Question 1 Can you use the Tigerdrive (S685) on the Hyper 21 8-port on a Savage? Question 2 The package [link=http://www2.gpmd.com/image/s/sulg6085.jpg]I see for the S685[/link] does not show a cover, just gears open to the environment. Is there a cover?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2006, 11:37 PM
stall70

Default RE: Tigerdrive + Hyper 21 + Savage = Yeah or Neah?

i have a savage and a hyper8port but thats in my buggy. nice engine good power but i dont think its suited for a heavy truck since its powered more on the high end, however the 8ports will fit the savage.i dont know if the tigerdrive will fit but the rotostart is what i use for my sav and i love it. you might be able to find a backplate for the hyper eng(rotostart)
Old 03-23-2006, 01:11 AM
gasrc

I have the original Savage 21. I swapped the original 21 out for the Hyper 21 8-port and it was a vast improvement top and bottom. Only thing I don't like is the pullstart. I would like to get rid of the pullstart but keep the engine if at all possible.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Philster

No No! Here is what you want and why:

It is the part from OFNA:

Torque Start Backplate
PART #: 50634
Use With: Hyper Engines Only

New Torque Slip design prevents any premature damage to the engine's 1-way bearing

It is made for Hyper engines. The beauty is that the electric starter shaft goes in to where the pull start cord would come out (at about the 11 oclock position. The pic helps you see why. You stick the starter down the body opening where you normally would reach for the cord), which gurantees it will fit the Savage. Take a look. Ofna offers their electric starter as well (the torque starer).

http://www.ofna.com/start-torque.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69442.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	431546  
Old 03-23-2006, 04:13 PM
gasrc

Philster, you are officially my best friend. Thanks a lot

One thing though. When I wen to Nitrohouse to check their price for it, there was a note than said "will require part # 50624 will not work with other roto start system." Why? Do they have some special hex size? I planned on using a drill.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Philster

Hmmm....don't know, I don't use a drill.

All you need is that 6mm hex ball shaft.

From Ofna:

"Insert the 6mm shaft with hexball tip into the new Torque-Slip design backplate receptacle to start your engine".

Guess if you find that you'll be good with the drill. Check engine rotation direction if you use the drill.

A big OFNA dealer is Ace Hardware Hobbies...and TowerHobbies. Their customer service guys might be able to help you out. Just a thought.

Old 03-23-2006, 06:28 PM
stall70

goog thinking philster i forgot about that one and use a starter box on my 8port. nitrohouse.com is owned by ofna as far as i understand it and thats who i get all my hyper stuff from.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:31 PM
laserman2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have tiger drives for all my trucks (2 OS 18's and a Torq 21 )and yes they come with covers for the gears usually the drives will work with a normal drill but i have found that the best is one that has a clutch on the drive as that way if i hydralock the piston i will get clutch action, preventing damage. i set the clutch on the drill to be just over what will turn the engine over ie if the engeine uses # 3 to turn it over i set it either there or to #4 ( my drill setup starts at #1 Weakest to #15 strongest )
Old 03-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Philster

Thinking about it, and I think most of the wands are the same size...so check around. Actually, TigerDrive might sell just the wand...and I think they are on Ace Hardware Hobbies (those guys are cool if you call). Call someone who distributes OFNA...like the NitroHouse, as mentioned. Someone could help.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:08 PM
gasrc

I called Tower, and they don't carry the OFNA backplate. I was hoping to get it through Tower since I 'm plaaning to buy new tires and wheels. If I make it to $125, I'll get $20 off.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:01 AM
Philster

Well at least Tower can get you the wand. See the pic from TowerHobbies. The wide base simply unscrews (only held on with set screw) for use in a drill.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKZA2&P=C

Or here:

http://www.heliproz.com/startshafts.html

Search on the Ofna part number (put ofna 50634 in Google and search). You will get lots of places that sell the torque start backplate for the Hyper).

So, you have a drill, the wand and the backplate.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53236.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	432033  
Old 03-24-2006, 11:34 AM
gasrc

ORIGINAL: Philster

Well at least Tower can get you the wand. See the pic from TowerHobbies. The wide base simply unscrews (only held on with set screw) for use in a drill.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKZA2&P=C

Or here:

http://www.heliproz.com/startshafts.html

Search on the Ofna part number (put ofna 50634 in Google and search). You will get lots of places that sell the torque start backplate for the Hyper).

So, you have a drill, the wand and the backplate.

Thanks man,

I'm not paying $20 for a stick with a hex on the tip. They sell ball hex wrenches at Harbor Freight for a little of nothing. I'll use that. It I need it longer, I work at a manufacturing facility that will weld an extention to it..

Ace sell the backplate for like $13. I think I'm set now. I appreciate all the help. One more thing though, do you know where I can find a picture of this backplate being used on a Savage?
Old 03-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Philster

I think you have finally stumped me with that request. [X(]