Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Goldberg 30% Ultimate Pictures!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Goldberg 30% Ultimate Pictures!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 10:41 AM
shawnkappner
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg 30% Ultimate Pictures!!!

It's ready to maiden

Some Items to note:

Power - ZDZ 80
2 1/2" stand-offs
Bisson Pitts muffler
Prop - Mejzlik 24 X 10 3 blade
Servos - Hitec 5625 on all surfaces
3-1500 nickle metal batteries w/ JR charge switches
Hardware - All stock except some carbon rod over 4-40 rods (probably not needed).
Graphics - Dennis Kirby
Weight - 21.8Lbs
Cajun RC 30% pilot with staples "Easy" button (only dash control needed)
I stripped the covering from the bottom because it was identical to the top. While the covering was off, the inspection of the carftsmanship was surprisingly good!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30185.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	437024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61756.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	437025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67562.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	437026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81509.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	437027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11329.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	437028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25744.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	437029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34895.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	437030  
Old 04-01-2006, 11:49 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg 30% Ultimate Pictures!!!

Nice work...I love the "easy" button. All you need is a switch that moves the button Turn it on for takeoff/landing. turn it off for all out stuff. Wait, that's called high/low rates or flight modes. Maybe make the button light up depnding on the mode

Aw, just messing with ya. Looks great. I'm a big fan of Ultimates
Old 04-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Gumby2!

Looks awesome! I've got one still in an unopened box, I plan to open it soon! I hope mine comes out looking as good as yours!
Old 04-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Efishensea
My Feedback: (15)

I just pulled my GB 30% Ultimate out of the Box today, and the 3W-80CS showed up yesterday. Do you have any construction Tips, or Do's or Don'ts that I should know about? Yours Looks Very Cool!!!!!! How Dose it Fly?

Paul.

If you can't afford to Crash it! Don't Fly it!
Old 04-10-2006, 08:49 PM
kengerard
My Feedback: (6)

Great job! I just got back from Toledo and bought the 3W 80xi for mine.
I would love to know how it performs. Keep us posted.
Thanks, Ken
Old 04-11-2006, 01:35 PM
shawnkappner

Paul/Ken,

A few construction tips...

1) Don't glue elevator hinges in until you check the throw at over 30 degrees. I garantee you will have to remove some balsa in the stab - No big deal.

2) Check the bottom wings aluminum pins. It it hard to get a good bond from aluminum to balsa. some guys are replacing the metal dowels with wood.

3) I have attached a picture of my engine box. Mine was delaminating badley. My fix was putting about 20 pins in the sides. I also used aluminum "L" bracing insted of the triangle stock.

4) My struts were not labled correctly.

5) CG came out on the money with everything in the stock position and the batteries under the fuel tank.

6) I added an extra 6-32 screw just above the stock one on the wheel pants.

No flying report yet. probably in two or three weeks. I going on vacation, kids sports, scouts, ect, ect....

Name:	Zx70420.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	443494  
Old 04-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Efishensea

Hey Ken, How are you going to mount your 3W-80? Are you going to chop off the Engine Box and use Stand offs or cut out the bottom of the Box for the Exhaust? Hey by the way I got a back plate for the 3W-80 that will fit this Fire wall from Chief Hobbies.

Paul.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:08 PM
shawnkappner

Flight Report,

I couldn't resist taking a day off work due to the great forecast to maiden the Ultimate. Keep in mind I have been flying for a long time 25+ years but I am by no means an expert....

The take-off roll was very straight and required just a touch of right rudder to keep it tracking straight after the wheels broke the ground. It wanted to dive slightly so I added 5 "clicks" of up-trim to level it off. No other trims required. After 10 or so laps around at 3/4 throttle I did some inverted flight and found I had to push on the elevator a little more than I wanted. I was nose heavy for sure which will be an easy fix.

I immediately felt comfortable with the plane. I set all of my throws to the recommend low rates and slightly less than recommended for the high rates with about 30% expo. The low settings the flight caracteristics suited me perfectly - crisp but not too sensistive. High rate were sensitive for IMAC style flying but rolling this thing was amazing. It seemed like it rolled two times in one second!

No bad habits that I could determine in slow flight. Now time to test the power of the new (old style) ZDZ 80 with that wicked Mejzlic 24 x 10 3 blade. It is not a quiet set up with the Bisson muffler but certainly acceptable and better that a lot of ZDZ 80 motors running with 2 blades. I brought it in low and slow and did a "wall into a sloppy hover" and held it easily at about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. I hit full throttle and it pulled out nicely and proceeded to climb almost out of sight. I wouldn't say it had "insane" or rocket like power but if you are into 3-D or IMAC, it will get the job done. Also, at that point I had less than 15 minutes run time on the motor so it will get stronger.

Now some temporary bad news. I heard some rufling and brought it in for an uneventful landing. I noticed some blue stuff hanging from the bottom of my wing. The covering that I had put on had pulled loose:-( Not to be denied further flights, I got out some packing tape and temporarily fixed the problem. I proceeded to put 3 more enjoyable flights on the Ultimate.

Knife edge flight is outstanding!!!! Virtually no mixed needed. Even with being nose heavy, I just had to breath on the rudder and it held a straight line. It did want to roll out just a little. I would think knife edge loops would be absolutely no problem if you had the skill to perform them.

Blenders flat spins and inverted flat spins are terrific.

The only other problem I had was the wheel pants. I'm not bragging but I had four very nice and easy take offs and landings on pavement and my right wheelpant split right down the middle where the seem is.

I am very pleased with this plane. If you have flown the 120 size Goldberg Ultimate and liked that plane, you will REALLY like this one!

Shawn Kappner

Old 04-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Efishensea

Thanks Shawn, Grate report! Do you think that Wheel Pant blew because of vibration??
Old 04-13-2006, 10:04 PM
shawnkappner

Could be but the pants are kind of on the cheap side. I will have to inspect further....
Old 04-13-2006, 10:20 PM
kengerard

Thanks Shawn for the report.
Your engine mount looks great!
Paul I am going to take some measurements this weekend
then try to come up with a plan on how to mount my 3W
I also have the mounting plate for it like you talked about.
I will keep you posted.
Shawn and Paul pictures are worth a thousand words so keep them comming!
Ken
Old 04-13-2006, 11:43 PM
Efishensea

Ken, I was reading in my 3W Manual tonight and, it says it is strictly prohibited to use Standoffs / Spacers. So if I do, I will use little Short ½†stubby ones just so I do not have to cut so much out of the bottom of the box to accommodate the muffler. I am going to get her out of the box this weekend also and, check it out. Let me know if you get a brain Storm.

Paul.
[img][/img]

Name:	Mk25352.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	445037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22356.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	445038  
Old 04-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Efishensea

Ken, while I finished the wings on Saturday, I had the fuselage on the other bench to give me some time to think about mounting the engine. After playing with it a few times I believe I will mount the Engine & Back Plate directly to the Fire wall with the right thrust angle built in. No stand offs at all. And cut out for the Pitts Muffler What have you determined? Happy Easter Sunday!

Paul.

If you Can't Afford to Crash it ! Don't Fly it!
Old 04-16-2006, 12:22 PM
pos

good luck with your maiden flight. i have the GB 30% ultimate and all i can say it is one great plane. i have the zdz80 in it and you have all the power you need the plane will hang at 1/4 power. friend who flew the plane can't get over how great it flies. landing is smooth, just watch your speed, she comes in quick at low throttle and then she loses air speed pretty fast. have a great first and have fun with it

pos
Old 04-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Efishensea

Pos, show us some Pic's of your finished Plane. Or the Flim Clip! Any problems with your Bird?????

Paul.

If you Can't Afford to Crash it ! Don't Fly it!
Old 04-16-2006, 09:29 PM
kengerard

Paul, I think I am going to mount it right to the firewall also. I got the all the hinges in and the landing gear installed as well as fitted the cowl.
send me some pics and tips as you mount the engine and cut out for the muffler. are you going to bench run your motor first?
I am also going to install an evolution power box system on this one as well as a smoke pump.
Talk soon, Ken
Old 04-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Efishensea

Hey ken, I don’t have any time to work on the Plane this week, but Friday afternoon I am going over to one of my Flying buddies Cabinet Shop to do the install of the Engine. So hopefully I will send you some Pictures of the install on Saturday. But I want to ask you and Shawn about the aileron Horns. The point at which the Clevis attaches to the horn is not in the hinge line. It is back in the aileron about ¼†is this happening on your Planes??? Because this will cause a lot of Aileron differential. Let me know? But anyway I ordered a one peace Carbon Fiber main landing Gear today From Super Gear. It’s a little taller and wider and, a Carbon Fiber Tail wheel from Gerhard at Aircraft International. It should make her roll around a little Nicer. Going with a 5†Trueturn Spinner and a Carbon fiber three bladed Prop. Also, No! I am not going to Bench run the Engine. Just going install in the Plane and run a tank or two on the ground with break in Mix, and baby her around the Sky for a few Gallons.

Paul.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Efishensea

Shawn, The point at which the Clevis attaches to the horn is not in the hinge line on my Plane. It is back in the aileron about ¼†is this happening on your Plane? Because this will cause a lot of Aileron differential. Please Let me know?

Thanks

Paul.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:08 AM
kengerard

Paul, I have the same issue with the clevis attatchment. I don't think it will pose a problem only being 1/4" off hinge line.
I hope to get back to work on it this weekend and if I notice anything else I will keep you posted!
Please do the same. Ken
Old 04-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Efishensea

Ken, I contacted Goldberg / Lanier about the Aileron & Cleaves Problem and, they have no clue. So the simplest way to fix the situation is install longer Horn brackets. Du-Bro makes some that will work. I think I will upgrade to the Nelson or Hanger-9 Control Horns. These put it right in the Hing line also, they are 8-32 and have a Ball Link that will remove the binding that I am seeing because the short Push Rod. I will send Pictures this weekend.

Paul
Old 04-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Efishensea

Still under Construction-But Check it out Ken.[img][/img][img][/img]

Name:	Lj23565.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	449641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77981.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	449642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86419.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	449643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95703.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	449644  
Old 04-23-2006, 07:35 AM
kengerard

[img][/img]
Old 04-23-2006, 07:41 AM
kengerard

Paul that looks Great!
I am having sme issues with my aluminium mount so I am going to have to
re-drill the mounting holes so they don't go into the end of the plywood.
DSCF0010.JPG
Old 04-23-2006, 07:43 AM
kengerard

How do you attach an image?
Old 04-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Efishensea

Ken, Get the correct mounting Plate from Chief Aircraft. Its fits the fire wall perfect. Give me a shout on the Phone. I E -Mailed you my number.

Paul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.