Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Engine Temp

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 09:03 PM
ShadeyBloke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Temp

What temperature should I be aiming for while racing and could an occassional increase in engine temp be due to the carb not sealed properly? If so can someone explain how best to seal it.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:48 PM
dracy69
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Engine Temp

if your racing work on your engine according to performance not temps unless smoke is coming out of the engine head (thats when you have it too hot). are you using a plastic carb or a metal carb?
Old 04-02-2006, 03:08 AM
JayC1968
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: ShadeyBloke

What temperature should I be aiming for while racing and could an occassional increase in engine temp be due to the carb not sealed properly? If so can someone explain how best to seal it.
I am not a racer, more of a basher but your temps should never get over 300. The ideal temp is around 260 to 275, but make sure you have a good constant smoke trail from idle to WOT and it should be noticable on long WOT runs.
As for sealing...... I use high temp RTV silicone. make sure you just apply to the outer rim without getting inside when you install the carb. A dab on each side of the carb nut after you tighten it down is good too. Do not forget the backplate too as this needs to be sealed also.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:03 AM
ShadeyBloke

dracy69 I have a metal carb, dont race in any club, just a few friends racing for fun. dont have any problems when bashing, but 3 min racing flat out and it gets real hot and losses power.

JayC1968, am just a basher myself but would like to win a race just once. When you say never over 300, thats 300 fahrenheit?
Old 04-02-2006, 04:06 AM
scoprius

dont listen to jay it varies for every engine as to what temp it likes to run best at. my nitro star 25 never runs worth anything unless its around 285-300 but it never gets any higher for some reason. It confused the lhs guys to no end when i first got my savage limited why it runs high temps and just stays there but its just my engine. A good rule of thumb even for really high temp engines never let em get over 310 or else it can seriously damage the the engine
Old 04-02-2006, 04:21 AM
ShadeyBloke

scoprius, it runs around 265 Celsius and starts to loose power. This Fahreheit, Celsius thing is messin up my day. Heres a pic of the business end might help?[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27181.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	437456  
Old 04-02-2006, 05:05 AM
scoprius

you should be running around 190-210 celsius for a really high temp engine, do you get good performance when its runnig at first? you might need to richen your high speed to keep temps down a little. how does it sound when idleing? if you're doing lots of low speed passes does it heat up much? what pipe are you using?
Old 04-02-2006, 09:11 AM
benzzyo5

dam the other day i was bashing my savage and the temps were good around 270. then i was doing doughnuts and i just checked the temp and it was 317[X(]
Old 04-02-2006, 10:49 AM
burnchassis3

Ive had my collari over 500* F 503 to be exact. I was experimenting with a 20% fuel...ran to hot so I went back to 30%
Yes it was still running..no damage done....This engine runs steady from 270 - 320.
Dont worry so much about temps to much, as long as its smokin,and running good.
CS
Old 04-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Friday_2006

I have my Savage LE running at 120 Celsious max and it performs awesome. Ambient temps are about 20 Celsious
Old 04-02-2006, 11:04 PM
scoprius

my nitro star likes to run minimum 140*C only up from there
Old 04-03-2006, 09:22 AM
guitrz6

I think alot of it has to do with where you live. Im in illinois, and with the constant climate change, im always adjusting one way or the other
Old 04-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: ShadeyBloke

Don't get into a habit of "targeting" a certain temp. Your engine in perfect tune will still vary in day to day operating temps based upon "variables". Variables are outside air temps, humidity, type of fuel you are using, and also engine "load".
Your engine will (in proper tune) run anywhere from 240F up to as high as 280F. This is considered good. Anything above 280F, and you most likely need to richen up your HSN. Bashing in high engine load conditions such as tall grass , or mud will cause higher temps also. 90F+ days will also cause your engine to run hot. If you consistantly see temps shoot up to 280F+, and you are having a hard time tuning your engine, then you most likely have an air leak, and you should RTV seal your engine.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Savian

How do I seal the engine? And with what?
Old 04-10-2006, 05:00 AM
American Patriot

that makes 2 of us. how do you seal the engine and with what?

my truck was running into 300F all day today. I would richen the high speed needle and 1/8th of a turn and the truck would always run weird. never could get it to run right.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:39 AM
:Green:

hi temp automotive sealer, like permatex forma gasket stuff from autozone, the same thing you use on a car. just make sure to put it on careful so you dont get any inside the engine, like use a toothpick to apply it to the backplate of the engine and around the carb flange.