Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

100mph Monster????

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 11:00 PM
fast_stangs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100mph Monster????

Hello Guys,

Just wanted to see how many of you guys had off road monster or stadium trucks that would run 100mph or more... I know there's gotta be some of you out there that have them.....

I've been building and playing with Nitro's for a couple of years now so I've built, crashed, and sold my fare share of them over the years.....But I've always been into the offroad racing aspect of it...I currently own 2 HPI Nitro MT's one with a HPI .18 with roto start, powerline aluminum shocks front and back, all metal gears, exhaust and the usual small mods...I use this truck mainly as my beater for the days I just want to go out and have some fun....But I also just a MT that I just finished a couple months ago that has a .12 CV-RX O.S., also all metal gears and powerline shocks and everthing is currently aluminum (purple and yellow) except the front shock tower its plastic but I recently ordered a aluminum one which should be here in a few days....This truck has the 2-speed trans...and on black top will reach aprox. 60mph.. But again this truck is used for racing and no other reasons....

And since I've recently finished this project I figure its time to move on to a new one so I've decided to take a stadium truck I'm thinking about the HPI Rush (I'm a HPI guy) and trying to make it run 100mph.. on the blacktop...I know it would be alot easier to make a car run this fast but I want it to be a truck so its possible to do some off roading...Also its more of a challenge...

My plans so far is a HPI Rush upgraded with something like the .28 that comes on the new hellfire with all metal gear upgrades and the 2 speed trans...

What I was wondering is what you guys advice would be how u would build it and what you would use and if you have a truck like I'm planning to build and dont care to tell... How did you build yours???

Thanks alot guys....
Old 04-02-2006, 12:04 AM
JeepGuyNJ
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 100mph Monster????

My truck tops out at about 90MPH on pavement...with a good tail wind behind it! Offroad, it's a beast!!! Climbs over anything infront of it...rocks, logs...you name it!! Oh wait..that's my Jeep...you mean RC??

My T-maxx with the 2 speed tranny goes about 45. However when I race, it rarely sees 2nd gear....all that speed is pretty much useless offroad.

Good luck with the build up though!
Old 04-02-2006, 12:04 AM
R/C fan-addict

for a high speed car I would go brushless rather than nitro. The R/C speed record is 111mph and was set by a 1/12th scale brushless pan car so I don't think a stadium truck will get to 100mph since it is much less areodynamic and weighs a lot more.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:10 AM
-Inverted-

Yep, sorry but your dream of a 100 mph offroad vehicle is IMPOSSIBLE.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:11 AM
stevensj

not gonna get a rush evo to run 100mph, im not being mean, or bein a retard, but just being honest, it's not going to run 70mph let alone 100mph.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:38 AM
xilix

Remember that dude on here that slammed a water-cooled STS .28 into a Duratrax Maximum ST? That thing was RE--diculous!! I remember the video of it doing wheelies next to a car doing 45-50 mph. Man, that thing was so awesome. With some tall gearing I could definately see that thing yankin' down 70mph.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:41 AM
Roy Dietsch

weight has nothing to do with top speed. its all areo

Roy
Old 04-02-2006, 12:43 AM
-Inverted-

weight has nothing to do with top speed. its all areo
So two identicle vehicles, exacty the same but one has an extra 350 lbs of weight will go just as fast as the other one, I don't think so...
Old 04-02-2006, 01:08 AM
dustin7837

My Cen mt2 with an OS 18 does about 52ish with stock gearing. i can't imagine an MT doing 100 mph...[X(]

Weight has more of an effect on acceleration than top speed, BUT it will lower your top speed because it is taking more torque from the engine just to keep going.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:13 AM
jdmkyosho
Banned

ORIGINAL: dustin7837

My Cen mt2 with an OS 18 does about 52ish with stock gearing. i can't imagine an MT doing 100 mph...[X(]

Weight has more of an effect on acceleration than top speed, BUT it will lower your top speed because it is taking more torque from the engine just to keep going.
Less weight lowering top speed? Since when? It has less momentum with less weight but it wont lower the top speed... ... ...
Old 04-02-2006, 01:19 AM
J_D

I've seen a 1/5th scale monster truck get to 100mph....... it took a few kilometres to get there though
Old 04-02-2006, 01:32 AM
dustin7837

ORIGINAL: jdmkyosho

Less weight lowering top speed? Since when? It has less momentum with less weight but it wont lower the top speed... ... ...
I know that theoretically, it isnt supposed to. BUT, My buddy has a nissan 240zx that hes got all done up ricer style and he takes it pretty seriously, and when he takes it to the track, he pulls his stereo out except for the fiberglass box. He's got 2 JL w7 13.5"subs in there plus 2 1000 watt amps. All together it weighs about 300 lbs (i think). He goes to the track to run 1/4 mile times and top speed.
With his stereo in his 1/4mile is down like .3 seconds or something and his top speed is down about 2-3 mph.

Old 04-02-2006, 01:39 AM
Ghostrider80

Weight has slowed top speed since car racing started , why do you think their are so few cars in the world that can go over 200mph ? Simple once the car hits the air pressure and the aerodynamics take full affect the drag triples the cars weight , although on this scale i think aerodynamics will make very little difference and it will have more to do with pure engine power and the size of the wheels , smaller the bettrer.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:46 AM
jdmkyosho
Banned

I know that theoretically, it isnt supposed to. BUT, My buddy has a nissan 240zx that hes got all done up ricer style and he takes it pretty seriously, and when he takes it to the track, he pulls his stereo out except for the fiberglass box. He's got 2 JL w7 13.5"subs in there plus 2 1000 watt amps. All together it weighs about 300 lbs (i think). He goes to the track to run 1/4 mile times and top speed.
With his stereo in his 1/4mile is down like .3 seconds or something and his top speed is down about 2-3 mph.
Well I was talking about lowering the top speed like topping a rc car out to its max speed. There is a difference between 1/4 mile top speed and topping a car out speed. Makes sense that his 1/4 mile time is down .3 seconds for a 300lb system since for every 100 lbs you take off you lose about .1 in the 1/4 mile if the cars weighs around 2500+. And since his car is heavier he will get a few miles less on his top speed because the car cant accelerate that quick because of the added weight.

Altogether weight has a effect on top speed but its minor at large amounts taken off. Like someone mentioned earlier it has a bigger effect on acceleration

Old 04-02-2006, 01:47 AM
a j o e l v a r d y

I would prosume you would want bigger wheels as yoes it may use more touqe at first but it will have a higher top end

?????,
Joel
Old 04-02-2006, 01:53 AM
jdmkyosho
Banned

ORIGINAL: Ghostrider80

Weight has slowed top speed since car racing started , why do you think their are so few cars in the world that can go over 200mph ? Simple once the car hits the air pressure and the aerodynamics take full affect the drag triples the cars weight , although on this scale i think aerodynamics will make very little difference and it will have more to do with pure engine power and the size of the wheels , smaller the bettrer.
Aerodynamics play a role. Its not huge in the 1/4 mile unless you have a really really fast car. I think its about 9 hp you could gain around 100mph if you were to remove one square foot of flat area sticking up. Its minimal but look at F1 aerodynamics is one of the most worked on things year to year.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:55 AM
jdmkyosho
Banned

ORIGINAL: ajoelvardy

I would prosume you would want bigger wheels as yoes it may use more touqe at first but it will have a higher top end

?????,
Joel
Bigger diameter wheels and tires=higher top speed, less torque < may cause motor to overheat, more chance to be overgeared.

Smaller diameter wheels and tires=lower top speed, more torque
Old 04-02-2006, 01:57 AM
a j o e l v a r d y

yes but this topic is for speed so I told you what you want for speed

you can get realy big foam tyesrs here

they arnt heavy
Old 04-02-2006, 02:03 AM
Ghostrider80

Aerodynamics in formula one is the most worked on thing year to year but they try to lose as much drag as possible , they want it so that the car moves through the air like a bullet .They change the aerodynamic set up race to race like in monaco they want as much downfoce as possible to keep the car on the track and as a result the cars top speed lowers becouse of the weight of the extra air on its wings
Old 04-02-2006, 02:26 AM
J_D

well formula 1 guys are pretty smart, they develop the rear wings ect to give heaps of downforce around corners ect, and when they are in a stright line, the wing bends quite a bit which lowers its drag... pretty cool.

i don;t know why you guys are argueing about weight aerodynamics ect ect... IT ALL MATTERS ! simple as that if your looking for max speed you want everything right, you want the exact gearing to get you to the speed within your engines powerband, you want it light as possible and you want is aerodynamic as possible....

wheel size doesn;t matter too much, because you just worry about the gearing....

so if you have smaller wheels, you have slightly taller gearing....... if u have bigger wheels u probably have slightly lower gearing to get you the same effect....
Old 04-02-2006, 06:05 AM
125cchyperman

We race micro midgets at our local track, same thing as sprint cars just smaller. Instead of using big v8 we use 125, 250 and 600cc engine First 2 being two stokes and lasyt one being a 4 stroke. But any ways we have to mess around with all the stuff such as gearing, tire size wing angles shocks, weight where the weight is on the car, and much much more. And everything take affect on how the car handles and how fast the car is overall. And yes tire size does matter more then you think but in rc cars not as much. But everything comes into effect. But to get this thing back on topic I dont think you will be able to get a rc monster truck to go over 100mph without spending a lot of money and even then it would be almost impossible. You would have to do so much to that truck it wouldnt even look like a mt when you done and you wouldnt even be able to tell that it was a mt in the first case. In the end it would just come out to be a full blown road car.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:58 AM
J_D

location also matters like air density ect ect
Old 04-02-2006, 10:03 AM
stevensj

yea, still not gonna see 100mph out of a MT, even after all this talk about downforce, aerodynamics, and weight, it's not gonna make a MT do 100mph...
Old 04-02-2006, 11:09 AM
-Inverted-

They barely cleared 100 with an all carbon fiber pan car, no way a monster truck is going to top 100 mph.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:20 PM
fast_stangs

Hey guys thanks for all the input....

So I see since most of you think this idea is highly impossible with a MT...What vehicle do you think this would be more of a logical idea with???

I'm definitely still gonna do a build up on a off road truck...May not get the speed I want but I gotta give it a try now....

So since you guys are pretty sure it cant be done and I'm starting to doubt it myself what kind of set up can reach these speeds...Car or truck?? I might try to start 2 projects one with the Monster truck and then something else that might seem a little more possible....

I'll keep you guys updated on how my builds are going with pics and when there done I'm make a short video with a speedometer to show my results....

Thanks alot guys.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.