Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Help repairing Plywood Fuse GP Cap 232

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Help repairing Plywood Fuse GP Cap 232

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 05:30 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help repairing Plywood Fuse GP Cap 232

Well yesterday was the expiration date on my GP Cap 232. Radio hit at about 100 feet brought it down on the nose. Cracked firewall and busted several pieces of plywood that make up the fuse, and destroyed the cowl.

I'm going to repair it, and in fact have already started. In most of the areas, the cracked pieces of plywood could be put back in place, and I have glued them in with thin CA or wood glue, depending on the shape of the repair. In a couple locations, I'm going to have to cut new pieces, including the right side of the fuselage from the first former to the firewall.

Obviously I need to reenforce the repaired areas, and I'm trying to determine how best to do that. The options are:

1. Use triangle stock in the corners of the repaired areas and glue in with Elmers Carpenters Wood glue.

2. Use fiberglass cloth and 30 minute epoxy across the repair on the inside of the fuselage.

3. Use popsicle sticks and either wood glue or 30 minute epoxy across the repair.

I want the repaired area to be strong enough to prevent the cracks from splitting, but without adding a tremendous amount of weight.

I'm leaning toward the triangle stock for the areas where two pieces of plywood are joined at right angles, and the popsicle stick method for joining the new fuse sides to the old fuse sides in the front.

Any comments on any of the three methods, or is there one I left out?

Thanks,
Brad
Old 04-03-2006, 09:08 AM
kd7oir

Default RE: Help repairing Plywood Fuse GP Cap 232

I'm no expert and someone probably has a better idea. but I would make another firewall and epoxy it over the old one or put reinforcing doublers across the back of it. As for your other ideas they sound good to me. But please don't take my word for it. Some with more experience might know a better way. I was just thinking of the safety factor with fire wall.
Shawn
Old 04-03-2006, 09:25 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I'm going to have to cut a new firewall. Luckily, GP provides detailed plans with its kits that I can use to cut new pieces, rather than purchase new parts with a lot that I don't need. Its a question of how I join new pieces of plywood to the old undamaged portions and make it a solid repair, and secondly how I reinforce the cracked and repaired portions.

I should add a 4th option that uses 1/8" plywood instead of popsicle sticks.

Brad
Old 04-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were me, I would use polyurethane glue for the repairs. Mist with water, let soak for 5 minutes of so, apply polyglue, pushing it into cracks wherever you can. Mist again, leave for 15 minutes, clamp overnight. You can cut off foamed glue with a razor blade. The poly will expand and fill voids in the cracks.