Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Help with shock assembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 06:43 AM
American Patriot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with shock assembly

Hi. I got a Savage SS 4.6 truck.

When I first put it together I wasn't sure how to assemble the shocks. part 85050 would screw in fairly easy but I couldn't get the top nut Z661 to get snug. So I used a vice grip on the shock shaft to hold it still while I tightened the nut.

Long story short I vice griped a notch on all the shock shafts and they leak oil out and allow air into the shock.

BTW I heard someone mention placing a bit of fuel tube inside and at the bottom of the shock. What lengths should I use for each side, also how would I bleed the shock if i have the tube inside the shock? cant go all the way down then???

Thx for any help.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:06 AM
Polar_Bus

Default RE: Help wtih shock assembly

ORIGINAL: American Patriot

Hi. I got a Savage SS 4.6 truck.

When I first put it together I wasn't sure how to assemble the shocks. part 85050 would screw in fairly easy but I couldn't get the top nut Z661 to get snug. So I used a vice grip on the shock shaft to hold it still while I tightened the nut.

Long story short I vice griped a notch on all the shock shafts and they leak oil out and allow air into the shock.

BTW I heard someone mention placing a bit of fuel tube inside and at the bottom of the shock. What lengths should I use for each side, also how would I bleed the shock if i have the tube inside the shock? cant go all the way down then???

Thx for any help.
Here is a post I made that explains with pics exactly how to "slam" your shocks:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_39...tm.htm#3960199
Old 04-05-2006, 08:37 AM
American Patriot

How did You tighten that nut on the top of the shaft is my main question.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11342.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	439212  
Old 04-05-2006, 09:54 AM
gerwen

Default RE: Help with shock assembly

Some folks use a piece of leather to cushion pliers while holding the shaft. I gripped the threads at the bottom with side cutters (put the blades in between threads.)
Old 04-05-2006, 10:46 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

I used my teeth like a man, but the problem was breaking two shafts before I got my technique completely down.

All seriousness aside though, I'd recommend you get Tamiya's shock shaft pliers. they've got a nice delrin jaw and clamp just as hard as your mom's **** ******* *** *** *** * ******
Old 04-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: American Patriot

How did You tighten that nut on the top of the shaft is my main question.
If you have a bench vise, tape the jaws with duct tape, and lightly clamp the shaft in a vise.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

I used my teeth like a man, but the problem was breaking two shafts before I got my technique completely down.

All seriousness aside though, I'd recommend you get Tamiya's shock shaft pliers. they've got a nice delrin jaw and clamp just as hard as your mom's **** ******* *** *** *** * ******
What teeth? I thought you said you lost all your teeth in a drunken high school hockey brawl with the hockey coach??
Old 04-05-2006, 11:55 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

you kidding? that limp-wristed buttmonkey couldn't punch his way out of a barfight in San Francisco! I lost my teeth when i was fighting in the Australian civil war when the Swiss invaded. I was held then held in an Ewok prison camp while my teeth were systematically pulled out with a tugboat and a nylon recovery strap.

My teeth were replaced with 1971 Kawasaki H1 engine internals later that year.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:00 AM
American Patriot

thanks for the tips. what should I use to clean out the shock before putting in new oil?

A friend suggested using rubbing alcohol.
I have some Isopropanol 99%, Isopropyl Alcohol, is that ok?

My shock were in horrible condition, I took them apart last night and noticed half of them had dirty oil. Most if not all had lots of bubbles. Some dirt even got stuck to the bottom washer. I'm definitely buying shock sox after seeing this debacle.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:00 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

patriot, i use brake cleaner (nitro spray) to hose out my aluminum shock bodies. Now, on plastic ones, i've never bothered rebuilding a plastic shock, so I couldn't tell you how it's going to affect anything. you definitely want to replace your o-rings too, btw.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:30 PM
SmoothInc

Hey american patriot where can you find shock socks cuz i have been looking for some and if you have a site or something that makes them that would be cool. Thanks
Old 04-07-2006, 06:30 AM
American Patriot

I'm pretty sure one of the hobby shops nearby carries the shock socks. At least i hope they do. My shocks were realy dirty internally and i never really did any dirt driving. Granted i had a bad notch on most of the shock shafts. This is what allowed dirt and air in and pulled out oil too. The sock will look cool and keep the shaft from getting pitted.

Now I'm going to answer my own thread lol. I can't believe I didnt think of this at the time. What I'm going to do is get 2 nuts on the bottom threads. then I will tighten the nuts against each other( lol just sounds funny). I can then use a wrench on the nuts to hold the shaft from spining(ROFLMAO). 40 bucks in shafts later I figure it out, duh.

ORIGINAL: SmoothInc

Hey american patriot where can you find shock socks cuz i have been looking for some and if you have a site or something that makes them that would be cool. Thanks
Old 04-08-2006, 05:28 PM
American Patriot

ok it worked like a charm. I used 2 hex nuts at the bottom of the shock shaft, kept the shaft from spining as I tightened the top nylon nut.

I also spoke to my local hoby shop about shock socks, they said everyone who bot them took them off. apparently the sock interferes with the spring action.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:41 PM
whitesox350z

for shock socks use waterballoons, cut the very end of each side off, and slide it over the spring and then put it on, making sure that the extra goes under the spring to prevent it from sliding down