Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Is this common?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 07:16 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this common?

My Savage LE lost most of power to the rear end. It got worse and worse until it started pulling to the left big time. As it turns out, the hex had started slipping until it eventually stripped the wheel out completely. [] This is the first time that I have ever stripped out a wheel. Is that common with your Savage? What is the solution?

I'm sure that aluminum wheels would solve the problem, but I don't want to put out that kind of money, right now. It seems that I am now in the market for another set of plastic rims.....do some wheels tend to strip easier than others? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason
Old 04-06-2006, 07:50 PM
JayC1968
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is this common?

Just make sure your wheel nuts are real tight and you should be fine. The main reason a wheel hex strips is loose wheel nuts. A little lock-tite can't hurt either.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:59 PM
:Green:

they only strip if you dont have them on tight or go loose. Ive read guys using jb weld to fix stripped ones.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:40 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main reason a wheel hex strips is loose wheel nuts. A little lock-tite can't hurt either.
I'm sure you're right, but in this case, I was using the "knock-off" hubs and I put them on with RED Loctite because they would work loose, otherwise. They were on so tight that I had to ruin them with pliers in order to get them off to look at the hexes.

It could be that the wheel had had a weak point......or two.

Jason
Old 04-06-2006, 09:40 PM
dracy69
My Feedback: (1)

you can get some of hpi's 17mm hubs (and some warlock rims or dish rims) or go with pro-lines 23mm. hpi should release quite a bit of 17mm rims this year and some companies are bound to tag along. you can get the savage x hubs that will fit onto a stock savage 25 or LE or 21 or SS or SS 4.6 or 3.5 (lol) or you can get the more expensive conversion kits that will be more durable and nicer looking in most cases. usually tightening and normally checking the nuts will prevent this. i had it happen once. some hot bodies hd hexes and rpm clawz rims held up great but im running 17mm nubz on mt 25 and i have an x and the 17mm seem to hold up great.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

a loose wheel nut causes that . Check your truck before you run everytime .