Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

DO YOU USE TRIPLE RATES?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 11:20 PM
storklappe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DO YOU USE TRIPLE RATES?

My new plane list control throws for low, high and 3-D rates. I have always set my planes up with low rates and 3-D rates with expo. This might be a stupid question but what do you gain from having a "high" rate if you set up 3-D rates with expo?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Rickles56

Default RE: DO YOU USE TRIPLE RATES?

3D rates are radically higher than even normal high rates. An example would be the elevator on low rates might have 8 degrees of deflection, on high perhaps 10 -12 degrees and on 3D it could be as high as 45 or 50 degrees of deflection. There is no way to do that comfortably with dual rates. 3D rates require special skills that most of us don't have yet as well so dual rates work out nice, with that said I do use triple rates (Actually quad with the Fut 14MZ and conditions). I make sure I only use 3D rates when I am very high in the sky as I am not that accomplished yet. My high rates are what some would consider 3D but obviously aren't.

Hope that helped.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:18 AM
Banche

I use triple rates, I have 45 degreed deflection on all my controle surfaces, and about 30% expo on all of them, triple rates are great if you have the radio, this guy doesnt really know how to fly on 3d rates at all, I can land on 3d rates and do everything, triple rates are the way to go!
Old 04-07-2006, 03:58 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use dual rates bur in all honesty I usually put them on high and leave them there. Even on my UCD3D with 45 degree deflection I would do the entire flight including takeoff and landing on 3D rates. I guess it just comes down to what you are used to.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:55 AM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use triple rates on all my planes. I like it because I use the low rates normally for landing and take off. I use the middle rates for IMAC and I use High rates for 3D.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:38 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I use triple rates on everything but the trainer I keep around and it's got dual rates...

Like most of the replies I tend to fly on one rate most of the time, but like most are saying, it's about what you get used to using and what kind of flying you do. If nothing else low rates are useful for transitioning to a new plane, and as the manual says for the models I have, the listed rates are recommendations and you can change them to fit personal preference.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:40 AM
Flyfalcons

Even on my IMAC competition plane I only use two rates - normal and 3D. Normal rate is used for all flying, including takeoff, landing, and sequence work, and 3D rate is obviously for 3D. I don't like using different rates for sequence work and different maneuvers because I like the plane to have one consistent feel during flight.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:10 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I setup triple rates for a maiden that way I have options.. after that, I only fly on 3D rates from takeoff to landing.. for imac type flying I switch to its own rate, but 9 out of 10 days of flying for me is only 3D rates and 3D flying.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:47 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

JohnVH what expo are you using, lets say on your 50cc size plane, I believe you had a BME edge
Old 04-07-2006, 01:04 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

I have triple rates programmed in most of my planes but really only use 3D rates with some expo. If I can't land the plane with 3D rates and expo then I'd sell the plane before flipping the switch. The only time I would think about switching to a lower rate is for some sequence flying and snap rolls. I still tend to just limit my throw with the sticks but on snaps that's a bit harder.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:40 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Jon, on my Aeromaster/BME edge 50cc, I have as much throw as I can get, and about 15-20% expo, and I use that 3D rate takeoff to landing.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Bob_S

I have two rates programmed in but mostly I fly with my 3D rates on. They have 70-80% expo though so the plane feels very smooth around the center yet when needed the full throw is there.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I like triple rates..I have my low rates for sport flying..med rates for 3d work and an insanely high 3d rate for goofing around..I have about 70 deg on my elevators and 60 on ailerons!..Mostly I use med rates
Old 04-07-2006, 04:26 PM
eraser

I use triple rates all the time. I have the low, precision rates. Kind of a rolling circle rates (medium) and, monster 3-D rates (high). I also have them all on 1 three position switch aileron, elevator, and rudder. Works great for me.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

I always use triple rates on my 10x and use all three switches for them. As I fly I am caonstently flipping switches in order to get the right manuver down and make it look good. However for 3D I genrally stay on mid or high.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Tor

As eraser, but depending on the plane....

I have a one with insanely high rollrate. For this plane I use 3 conditions... one with precision rates, one with 3D rates and one with 3D rates and restricted ailerons for rolling circles.

Otherwise I prefer to keep it simple with dual rates. If the plane is not controllable during landing on precision rates - sell it or do some more practice with with an easier model or the simulator.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:27 PM
whaturi

with a fair amount of expo, it seems very easy to get stuck on 3d rates as the only comfortable one for me. i am at the point where low rates scares me because i am so used to having it all there if i need it.

i guess what happened is two different approaches where born.. one is the guy who likes to use dual rates to keep things in control and flips the switch when needed. he might not like the feel of expo. the other is the guy who dials in expo to get the perfect feel and just leaves it.

every plane is different and every person is different and as sequences get more complicated, things can get a little mixed up, but i think at the heart of it is two different approaches.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:07 PM
eraser

On my triple rates, I use various degrees of expo (1 three position switch). Maybe 10-15% on low, 25-40 on medium, maybe 75% on 3-D, mostly elevator. I can switch between all the rates and they all feel pretty much the same around neutral.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:35 AM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

i do use triple rates but i set up the low as my flying rate middle rate for good rolling harriers and high for
every ° i can get. If i had a radio that had conditions i wouyld set up 5 diff ones but ill have to live with the triple rates for now

the diff between middle and high rate is i lower the aileron rate a smidge to lower the roll rate

its all about what you want I know of peopel who use one rate high as they can get the whole time, and i know some who have 5 rates
Old 04-08-2006, 12:50 PM
babflyer
My Feedback: (2)

I set up a little like flatlandmike. I have my normal flight rate, which is usually pretty close to recomeneded low rates. Next I have my rolling harrier rate, knife edge loop,low inverted shoulder snap, rate. That middle position is 3d ailerons, fairly high rudder with pretty close to book high rate on elevator. For the 3rd position I have all full 3d rates. My expos are set at somewhere around -10,-25,-75 from low to 3d on a futaba 9c. I only started using this setup late last year but it does seem to be working very well for me. I used to have triple rate elevator, dual aileron and rudder all on their own switch. Now its all on one switch. Just happens to be the easiest switch for my finger to find also so thats a plus also. Not to much flying gets done in the middle position for me though so triple rates are not necessary, with my old system I would just switch to med elevator and 3d rudder and aileron for those middle position stunts. I have found it to happen where I am in the wrong switch position to occur way less often with everything all on one switch. Wish I had flight mode capability to try out[&o]
Old 04-08-2006, 02:14 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

I use multiple conditions for different flying maneuvers and styles, from low idle at landing, all the way to max 3D.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:02 PM
neto0720
My Feedback: (17)

Does anybody know if I can put a triple rate switch on my Futaba T7CAP radio? I'd really appreciate any replies. Thank You!
Old 08-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Bass1

I'm not familiar with the 7CAP radio but I'm looking at my new Tower Hobbies flyer and it reads under the 7CAP ad, 3 programmable mixes each for airplanes and helis, "YOUR CHOICE of dual or triple rates" etc. etc, So apparently you already have that feature.