Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Beware, Watch Out For Toy Planes!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Beware, Watch Out For Toy Planes!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 03:01 AM
klbass
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware, Watch Out For Toy Planes!!!!!

I am a little concerned this Christmas of all the new Ready to Fly "toy-/foam" planes that are being sold thru Tower Hobbies/Horizon. I wonder how many of these planes will be flown near flying sites but not part of the club.I can see it now, Little Johnny takes his new Chirstmas gift up in his backyard which is a 1/2 mile from the local flying field and the next thing you know, someone's $5000 40% Extra is balsa chips. I hope these things are not on 72 mhz!!! Be on the look out around your fields for these culprits!!!
Old 12-13-2002, 03:27 AM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default planes

If you check I think those are on 27 and 49 megs not 72 the Fire Birds may be 72 from horizon
Old 12-13-2002, 02:01 PM
MikeS
My Feedback: (37)

You just touched a sore spot. Now you will hear from all the independent (read selfish) flyers who disdain club flying (read can't get along with others) and who-are-you-to-limit-my-rights-you-nazi? (read but I don't care about your rights or my responsibilities that balance my rights) flyers. Stand by!
Old 12-13-2002, 04:20 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

The sellers of these things seem to be very careful to not mention what frequency the supplied radios are on. I'd be willing to bet that they are on 72 mHz - they are arplanes, after all.

OTOH many of those newbie-r/c-pilots-in-the-backyard-with-me-shiny-new-park-flyer will demolish their planes pretty quickly. Someone needs to do a study into how many of those airframes live for more than 60 seconds
Old 12-13-2002, 08:31 PM
klbass

I don't mind if people fly these things in their backyards. I just hope that the radios are not on 72 mhz. If they are on 72 mhz then you see the problems that they may create. I think most kids who receive these planes as their first plane are not going to wait to join a club when its Christmas. If they are on 72 mhz,then I would be very cautious flying after Christmas, if your field is near a neighborhood.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:03 PM
airbatic

Here's something to ease your worries.

An attribute of frequency modulation, F.M. is the "capture effect",
the strongest signal received is the only signal read. Assuming your're closer to your plane than Johnny, your transmitter's signal strength, as perceived by your plane's receiver, should be greater than Johnny's transmitter's. Low batteries account for more radio crashes than a distant transmitter.

Kraus
Old 12-14-2002, 05:15 AM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

Most aren't I don't think. I've got one of the little Hobbico park flyers and it's on 26. As far as I know, the rest of them are to. I do share your concern though. I guess it makes the car drive out to the boonies to get to the flying field worth it...
Old 12-14-2002, 05:48 AM
linclogs

Mike:

I don't think it's so much that us "independents" can't get along with
others or don't care about anybody else's rights (at least in my own case).

I spent several years involved in "the club scene" including stints as VP and
president of my club. I got tired of doing all the work while the majority
of club members *****ed and complained about everything. I learned that I
could count on about 10% of the members to show up and help handle the chores needed to run a club (always the SAME 10%). That and going to the club field on a Saturday or Sunday, spending all day there and only getting in a couple of flights while waiting for the frequency pin. I finally grew tired of it all and now prefer to do my modeling alone or with just a few friends. If you want to call me selfish, that's ok, but I feel I gave of myself plenty and now
just want to be left alone "to do my own thing", so to speak.

I still enjoy helping out a newcomer and often offer assistance to others here on RCUniverse when I feel I have something to contribute. I've copied and mailed sets of instructions from vintage kits (at my expense) for modelers that were missing them, and posted photos and sketches to answer questions for folks asking for help here on RCUniverse. Just because some of us prefer to model outside the club scene, please don't call us selfish. I "did my time" (and continue to do so).

It does concern me about these "toy" r/c planes. I'd like to know if they do pose a potential problem for me.
Old 12-14-2002, 06:07 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Firebirds are on 27. It is right there on the Horizon website.
Old 12-14-2002, 07:06 AM
klbass

Thanks for finding the band for the Firebirds. I was flipping thru a Tower Talk (other than Firebird) and didn't see any info on what band these planes operate on. Just to clarify, the original post was not concerning the rights of the independent flier. I was just stating that these planes will obviously be flown in parks, backyards, etc. which may create a problem if they are flown in close proximity to club fields and assuming they are on 72 mhz. Looks like the manufacturers may have thought of this afterall and put them on 27 mhz. Thanks guys!
Old 12-14-2002, 08:21 AM
warlock1174
My Feedback: (23)

I usually don't venture into this section of the forums, but I couldn't help but notice the thread. Have you folks not seen the r.c. planes at Wal-mart? Yep, Wal-Mart. I picked up a little foam electric stealth. No ailerons, flaps, rudder etc.... just two props. When you turn left or right, one motor will slow down to give the appropriate steering. Hold the throttle down, and both props go fast. I am not too privy on planes, but if I understand it correctly, the plane itself is "undercambered"? Anyway, the little plane was on 27 mhz, (all of them were), and cost $29.99. I took it back to Wally World the day after I got it, because it didn't perform the way the packaging made it look....

What's next from Wal-Mart? Their own brand of automobile??? (KNOCKING VERY HARD ON WOOD.)

Just my 2 cents....
Old 12-14-2002, 02:10 PM
MikeS
My Feedback: (37)

linclogs,
Do you go to an open rc flying field and ignore basic rules like no taking off from the pits when other pilots are on the flight line? Do you buzz the hawks over the bird sanctuary then run and let the members of the club that share the field take the heat when the cops are called? Do you do all your flying 10 feet over the runway, including when others are taking off and landing? Do you fly off to the side of the flight area when its crowded, refusing to use the freq board and flying over the parking lot? Do you do all this with the attitude that you don't care about the safety of others and no one can make me share the field?
Going off and flying with a few friends is not what I was talking about. I bet you take care to share frequencies with your friends and you don't buzz them when they are flying, forcing them to the ground while their plane goes out of control. I have seen all this and much more at a local field owned by the city. They will not force flyers to join the club, but they then complain about the unsafe activies at council meetings.
A large farm on the outskirts of the city was donated to the city by an rc enthusiast for a bird sanctuary and space for baseball and soccer fields. The will stipulated that all was contingent on the existence of the flying field for rc use. Then they crowd the area with public garden plots on one of the approaches and biking trails on the other. The worst part is that they won't enforce safety rules (the city agreed that ama guidelines cover all flying activities). Then the club bears the brunt of complaints of unsafe activities.
May all their selfish little souls spin, crash, and burn in rc hell.
Have fun , even at other's expense. If I can pursue my hobby while making everyone else miserable, why then I am having twice the fun.

I am sure that you are responsible citizen. Too many others armed with cheap toys can tarnish our hobby and permanently close doors on our activities.

Fly safe,
Old 12-14-2002, 08:55 PM
linclogs

Mike--

Sounds like your "club" experience was a whole lot different than mine. Our club leased the land from the county, therefore we had control of the rules for our site. Our club site was totally fenced and the club controlled the keys to the gate (each paid member "in good standing" got a key. If someone didn't follow the rules, they were invited to leave.

As stated, my reasons for leaving the club weren't because of rudneness by others. It was because I got tired of doing most of the work (not by myself - but with the help of only about 12 or so others in a club that had a paid membership of about 125). The first year I joined the club as just a member. The 2nd year, I got elected VP. The 3rd year they elected me president. The 4th year I was "just a member" again. The 5th year I dropped to "associate member" (non-flying status - I had finally figured out they had me pegged as one that would show up to get the chores done and I was already starting to "go it alone"). The following year I dropped my membership and never looked back. The club scene spoiled the fun for me. I'd rather spend my time building and flying, not running club politics.

I can honestly say I never experienced ANY of the problems you describe. Perhaps the reason is because the club I belonged to "ran their own show", so to speak. We limited our membership to, I think it was 125, charged a $100 initiation fee, plus yearly dues of $50 for adults and $25 for juniors, and required membership in AMA, along with requirements that all flying had to be done within AMA guidelines. Again, if someone ignored the rules, they were invited to leave. Our club had a waiting list of folks wanting to join. So if you were a member, and wanted to stay a member, you followed the rules.

It sounds like the situation you describe could be related to the fact the club does not control the field. Because there's no control or, apparently, no enforceable rules, folks get away with doing whatever they want. Not a good plan for success. I think I'd try to get the serious club members organized and try to come up with another plan. Perhaps one where the club membership pays for the facilities on leased property. It doesn't have to be a real expensive proposition. The site we had was on property leased from the county at the county's landfill site - land that was not of much use for anything else. The county was eager to come up with compatible land uses for the property, especially the land that had been filled and covered over with soil. There aren't many uses for such property - off-road park, shooting range, and model flying site are the ones I can think of.

Hope your situation improves for you. It doesn't sound fun. Good luck!
Old 12-14-2002, 09:15 PM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

My neighbors father lives 1/2 mile from our flying field he had a transmitter on 72mhz. We have had several unexplained crashes at the field lately I wonder if he played a part in then? I will have to take him to the field and explain the problem to him I am sure he will be reasonable. KCFlyBoy
Old 12-14-2002, 10:11 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Ah, Wal-Mart. The worst thing that ever happened to Paint Ball. Paint Ball and it's guns stayed pretty much out of the news until Wal-mart started selling cheap plastic markers for $20. Then every week it seamed there was a story where a kid shot another kids eye out or some punks decided to do drive byes on old ladies.

Hmmm, cars? I don't think so. I can see small parachutes that kids can use to jump off bridges and buildings. You know like real ones but these will be cheap like. $30 bucks.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:54 PM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

Check this one out:
http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=HBZ7800
Scroll about 3/4 of the way down.
Old 12-15-2002, 03:53 AM
Roby

KLBASS , I can relate to your concern.

Several years ago I flew at a field that was in a heavily
populated area. Plus,there were 3 major shopping malls
within eye sight. We used to get a bit nervous after Christmas.

Back then Cox had a 2 channel foam thing that people were
buying up fairly well. The problem that we expected never
materialized. I'm not sure why,but I would venture to guess
that they got destroyed long before they become a problem.

It's a wait and see game.I do expect to fly during the Christmas
/New years break. This subject will be in the back of my mind
but I will still fly seeing that it hasn't posed a problem ever
before.

We'll see what happens

Regards
Roby
Old 12-15-2002, 04:18 AM
Flyfalcons

I think the frequency standards will prevent inexpensive models from flying on 72mhz. If you look at the 27mhz choices you will see that they are spaced pretty far apart. It is much easier to meet 27mhz standards using inexpensive methods than trying to get narrow band separation on 72.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:12 AM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

Long live 50mhz!

-Tom
KBØMFG
Old 12-17-2002, 06:18 PM
azhar
My Feedback: (19)

Guys,

I personally witnessed my local hobby store selling a 72Mhz radio and an alectric plane to a mom and told her that AMA was not necessary. I was concerned and spoke to the seller but was told that she promised that it will be used to fly in the backyard only.

This to me is irresponsible as the buyer may find that he/she might need a bigger space to fly that airplane and may go to the local park. We have a flying club at the local park!! The seller may be improving his odds at selling a christmas presenty by saying that AMA may not be necessary. This may have a potential to become a very bad problem.

Azhar
Old 12-17-2002, 06:36 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by azhar
Guys,

I personally witnessed my local hobby store selling a 72Mhz radio and an alectric plane to a mom and told her that AMA was not necessary. I was concerned and spoke to the seller but was told that she promised that it will be used to fly in the backyard only.

This to me is irresponsible as the buyer may find that he/she might need a bigger space to fly that airplane and may go to the local park. We have a flying club at the local park!! The seller may be improving his odds at selling a christmas presenty by saying that AMA may not be necessary. This may have a potential to become a very bad problem.

Azhar
As a member of AMA, I have to ask how this is irresponsible. There is no law giving the AMA posession of the 72 mHz band. Perhaps it would have been better to speak politely with the buyer so she is informed of the potential hazards and the location of your "clubs field."
Old 12-19-2002, 04:33 AM
matthewn7

I agree and disagree. I think people should be able to fly in their own back yard/school, yet they should make sure that there are no flying fields close to their flying site. If someone wants to fly in their back yard, then more power to them. They should just do it responsibly. I know for a fact that the firebird is 27 mhz along with most inexpensive park flyers. I personally have a lite stick on a 72 mhz channel, I have checked for flying sites in my area and there are none whithin 20 miles. Most toy planes have a section in the directions all about checking for flying fields and not flying to close to one.