Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Who's flying the Brillelli 46cc?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 09:04 AM
flymeaway
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's flying the Brillelli 46cc?

Anyone out here using this motor? Looking for the usual: Props, RPM, weight of plane/performance, break in, ease of use/tuning, starting, ignition battery used, mounts used, etc...

At 325 bones for fixed timing and EI with muffler, how could you go wrong? I've heard nothing but good from this company so far.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:17 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Who's flying the Brillelli 46cc?

[quoteAt 325 bones for fixed timing and EI with muffler, how could you go wrong? I've heard nothing but good from this company so far][/quote]

Right on!
Old 04-15-2006, 07:40 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

I have a buddy that just ordered one, and he hasn't received it yet should be here this week, but the customer service has been great, the guys at Brillelli email quickly etc,,,,,,,,,[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 04-15-2006, 08:36 PM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Just send off an e-mail to Scott at Brillelli. He will get back with you ASAP. I don't have the 46 w/ei, but I do have Brillelli's new 42cc w/ei that I got at the Toledo RC Show. And boy his she a good looking engine. I weighed the engine and it weigh's only 3lbs 14oz. Not bad for a 42cc engine that I plan on installing on a GP Giant Big stick this coming week. Good luck with your 46cc and give Scott a shout. I know he'll answer any and all questions
Old 11-13-2006, 12:19 AM
LookNatU2
My Feedback: (11)

I have a CG Extra 330 / Brillelli 46cc on it // Awesome combo.
I had a balance issue with the plane at first because I bought the plane with this combo and the original guy who set it up used a pull/pull. I sence moved the servo to the tail.
My plane weighs 13.15oz with the Brillelli .
The bare engine weighs just 2 lbs 13oz and this is lighter then a DA-50.
I use single Hitec 645mg for all surfaces @6v with a standard mini on the throttle.
I have 2800 Li-Ion from TBM with6v reg and 2800 Li-Ion from TBM with 5.4v reg for ign. These are lighter then any nimh or ni-cad. I have pitched all the crap foam wheels and use TBM Kavans light wheels. I also lightned the heavy canopy hatch and use no pilot or dash and took off 6.4 oz alone for that mod. Painted the canopy black.
Brillelli sells a light weight alum engine mounts at 3.2oz thats lighter then the others ones i had @ 5.0oz
Little details like this add up.
If you run a glow engine use the pull/pull and move the servo to the tail for a gasser.
This setup has insane power to weight. Hovers at 1/3 throttle. Light 3D floater. Love the fact that I don't have to trailer this size of plane. Fits in my short box 5.5' pick-up truck
I run a Xoar 22x8 on it.
Customer service from Brillelli is as good as anyone could ever hope for.
I look at Brillelli this way. For a 46cc not a true 50cc. It's 95+% of the of DA-50's horsepower at half the cost, That's a awesome bargain in my world.
The Extra 330 's are now selling for $265 bucks and where else could you get a great flying gasser for around a $1,000 bucks?
Plane $265.00
Engine $355.00
Hitec 645mg x5 $200.00
2800 Li-Ion from TBMx2 with regs appox $100.00
Wheels,throttle servos,Prop,ect,ect.. $100.00
Not including shipping Total - $1000.00+

Not having to clean up Glow Goo is a wonderful thing
Old 11-13-2006, 03:47 AM
Crusty

What is different on this engine to a standard spe?, was considering a spe off the auction site, its only about a twenty quid price difference...what do you get from Brilleli for the small extra price?
Old 11-13-2006, 03:57 AM
LookNatU2

Must be talking about the spe26 or 40cc, im not a spokesmen for Brillelli but here's what I have learned about the difference btwn the two.
Scott at Brillelli's take apart the SPE and balance the crank, lighten the head by milling it and useing a very reliable proven CH ignition and not a chinese EI unit.
The Brillelli 46 isn't a SPE engine at all.
So over all you get a stronger,smoother and reliable running engine that to me is well worth the extra quid, not to mention customer service thats great.
my 2 cents.
Hope it helps you, good luck on your decision.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:07 AM
Crusty

AAAH..THX lOOK, I was confusing things (shouldnt post before breakfast and at least 3 mugs o coffee) Hmm, looks more of a bargain than I though
Old 11-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Well I don't have a 46 anymore.. but I can tell you they are strong engines. All the specs on the site are very accurate.. in fact out of 3 engines I have purchased from Brillelli every time the rated "new" rpm numbers are lower than I got after properly setup for my location.

He tends to rate a bit low just to be safe...

Don't think you can go wrong
Old 11-13-2006, 11:45 PM
Balsa Steel
My Feedback: (3)

LookNatU2,
I just ordered the CG Extra 330 for my Brillelli 45 (prototype) yesterday. My intended setup is so similar to yours it's almost scary. Seeing your post makes me glad I ordered mine. I'll look into those lightening mods too...
Old 11-14-2006, 07:43 AM
LookNatU2

Excellent, Let us all know how it goes for you, Think you'll like the combo..
Old 11-14-2006, 08:55 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

LookNatU2,

I am planning to power my CG Extra 330 with a Brillelli 40 motor. Do you think that it will provide satisfactory power for IMAC style aerobatics including genral sport flying.

Karol
Old 11-14-2006, 09:06 AM
LookNatU2

I believe it would, but for just a few bucks more you could have a 46cc. Only like 3 oz difference in weight, but yes, if your want to go with a 40 I think you'd be happy. both have good power.
The canopy hatches are kinda heavy on the Extra, I cut the floor out and that was worth like 4.2 oz if i remember right.
no dash and no pilot and it was good for another 2.2oz.
I really like the thick fat wings on the extra.. slow flights are great.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:42 PM
ledsled
My Feedback: (1)

I too have just ordered my CG Extra 330 for $265. I have been contemplating which engine to use but i think you guys have got me hooked on the Brilelli. If it will hover at 1/3 throtle i will be very happy. Thanks for the help?

LookNatU2
Did you fly the extra before you lightened it up, if so how was the verticle then compared to now? Will it still be okay if i didn't lighten it?
Old 11-26-2006, 08:41 PM
parrthd

the next thing on my table is a ca models extra 300L 27%.........i will be getting with scott at brillelli to order this engine.....at 386 with all the goodies + everything positive i've heard about this engine = how can you go wrong???
Old 11-26-2006, 10:44 PM
Jake Ruddy

ORIGINAL: ledsled

I too have just ordered my CG Extra 330 for $265. I have been contemplating which engine to use but i think you guys have got me hooked on the Brilelli. If it will hover at 1/3 throtle i will be very happy. Thanks for the help?

LookNatU2
Did you fly the extra before you lightened it up, if so how was the verticle then compared to now? Will it still be okay if i didn't lighten it?
I can pretty much tell you that with the 40 you wont be hovering at 1/3 throttle.. it's in your best interest to move up to the 46 for the money and the weight difference.

They are saying 13-14 pounds.. I bet you it comes in a tad higher with a gas engine. 40 would do IMAC but you def. want the 46 for 3D
Old 11-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Jake Ruddy

I am surprised those things are selling so cheap. If they come in at their weight stock you can prob hit 13 pounds with some CF. I have a GP Patty at 15 pounds and it only has 40 sqs more. At 13 pounds that is 26.7 oz/wingloading vs a light Patty at 30.3 oz/wingloading. That's a big difference there.

This plane is pretty much a no brainer for the price!
Old 11-27-2006, 12:18 AM
LookNatU2

LookNatU2
Yes, I flew it a few times at 16lbs, flew like crap, tip stalled and hovered at 3/4 throttle (that in itself wasnt so bad). Have to mention too that I had a carb on this engine that Brillelli no longer uses because it gave users problems in the air, ran great on the ground. This newer Zama carb setup is great.
Also landed at a high speed, wouldnt fly slow for very good at all. This plane wasnt designed to weigh 16kbs with 1118 sq in of wing area period. I have posted in other post that i bought this plane from the original builder and to put it mildly it wasnt built right not with even a thought of trying to conserve weight. I got this plane from a guy selling out of the hobby and it was the one I liked more then the other H9 Extra 260/FPE 40cc on it. The CG Extra330 has thicker wings and larger control surfaces that appealed to me over the H9 Extra 260. I also like the fact this Brillelli had more power then the FPE 40cc (First Place Engine).
So I have gone through and redid this plane how I wanted it. Scott at Brillelli engines has really showed a 1st class effort when coming to bring my engine up to the standards their at now. See my 46cc was a very early release and lots of changes to get them where their at today including the engine being 5.0z lighter then my early version. Did all the updates mods for free for me.. What more can be said about his customer service? "Outstanding".
Ok, so back to the "Verticle" at 16lbs and heavy wing loading hovered at 3/4 throttle. Plane isnt a floater at 16lbs, but
at 14 to 14.5lbs you'll have a great flying plane with gobs and gobs of power.
Believe me you wont have the issue's i've had about weight buying a new plane. You will have to mount the servo's in the tail, dont use the pull-pull, that's for glow engine setup's. If you use nimh or ni-cad's instead of Lipo's expect to add just 3-5oz. No lightened canopy and use a pilot/dash add 6-8oz and use wheel pants, (I dont) add 3.5 oz so thats about a 1lbs more of weight your gonna carry around. I love lipo's, won't ever use the others again. U have to remember you wont have the setup this other guy that built my plane used, like 4.0oz of rubber silicon to mount a battery in the tail becaused he used the pull/pull instead of mounting the servo's in the tail. Didnt use Brillelli's alum mounts for the engine that are 2oz lighter then the ones i had on there. U wont's have 2/3oz of extra crap on the alum mounts to mount the engine instead of mounting the engine directly the engine mounts. ( He had some joke setup that just added weight). On and ON just crap that ended up making this plane weigh 16lbs. So don't let that weigh scare you because even w/o lipo's, lightened canopy and wheel pants on the plane should still come in under 15lbs because you'll have the new lightened Brillelli that's over 5oz lighter then the one i had not to mention that brillelli has a NEW lighter muffler that's only 2.8oz, my old muffler weighed 5.8 oz
SO, build your plane as light as you can, it's worth it in the long run and you'll be happier you spent the extra coin to do it.
Hope my 2 cent helps.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:32 AM
LookNatU2

BTW, Towerhobby's have the Extra even cheaper use stock# EM1013
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=EM1013&P=7

Sign up for their email list, they'll send you emails with 10-25 dollars off any purchase.
$244.99 use a coupon and get it cheaper.
Good luck.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:08 PM
ledsled
My Feedback: (1)

LookNatU2 thanks for all the help i cant wait to get this great new plane in the air.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:37 PM
LookNatU2

LookNatU2 thanks for all the help i cant wait to get this great new plane in the air.

Your welcome, Right now to Towerhobbys has FREE shipping on orders over $125 bucks..
Where are these deals when I need a plane??? LOL
Old 12-08-2006, 10:58 AM
y2k6vette

LookNatU2,
Thanks for the heads up on the CG 330S from Tower. Went to the site and ordered mine. Will be ordering a Brillelli 46 now to power it.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:20 PM
LookNatU2

Sweet, be sure to let us all know how it goes for you ))
Old 12-08-2006, 07:57 PM
pliebo

I've got the brillelli 46 on my EF yak 74" and it's a great running engine. I think It takes a while to get it broken in though as I have had several deadsticks and am starting on my second gallon through it. scott is the greatest though, he actually called me to make sure I got it running properly!
Old 12-08-2006, 11:50 PM
LookNatU2

I have almost 2 gals on my 46cc and never a deadstick. U turn up the idle after take-off?
If not the air pushing back on the prop during 3 d flight will kill any engine at a low idle stance like that on the ground.