Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Oily, greasy, grimey, fuel soaked fuse repair.

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Oily, greasy, grimey, fuel soaked fuse repair.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 12:36 AM
TIA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oily, greasy, grimey, fuel soaked fuse repair.

My plane took a hit from the ground last weekend and it seems the fuse can be repaired. It is broken in half, but I stripped the monocoat off, epoxied the fuse back together and added a new bulkhead. This is a well used plane and the monocoat was already lifted in multiple areas to which the two stroke exhaust fuel oil soaked into the wooden frame.

So my question is this, I don't want to recover the fuse with monocoat because I just don't believe I can get it to stick, but what I'd like to do is paint the fuse.

Is there any heavy duty, cover-all, fuel proof, BBQ, bullet proof type of paint out there that I can paint this fuse, and get it up in the air again?

If anyone has any experience with this please let me know.

Thanks.

signed,

Cheap-Skate Wanna-Do-It-Quick Plane Repairer.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:59 AM
SMUGator

Default RE: Oily, greasy, grimey, fuel soaked fuse repair.

If it's broken in half, fuel saturated, held together by bubble gum and bailing wire, etc... It doesn't really matter. Paint it with a pleasing color with Testors or something similar and whack clear PolyU over it and have fun. It's not gonna last long anyway.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:06 AM
Dr1Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with SMUGator. NO paint will stick to an oily surface. You can try soaking the area with K2R Spot Remover several times, but I don't think that will help much. You might think about just trashing it, considering all the work you'll have to do to get some type of covering/paint to stick.

Dr.1
Old 04-20-2006, 06:19 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dr1 is right... K2R spot lifter should be applied (and brushed off) as many times as necessary.... Don't SOAK the balsa with the spot lifter... it needs to gas off and let the powder absorb the oil/fuel....You have to be patient and let the product work.... It may take as many as 5 "treatments" but you can truly bring and old fuselage back from the dead (damaged???)...

Funny thing, you can't find K2R everywhere... not sure why.. must be a "what happens if you sniff this????" question....

I've used this trick for years with many good results...

Deadstik...
Old 04-20-2006, 06:20 AM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

Take everything out of the fuse.(radio gear engine tank) Fill it with and bury it in kitty litter, and leave it for about a week. After that it should be pretty much fuel free. I had a fuel tank split filling the fuse with fuel, and this is what I was told to do, and it worked.

Bob
Old 04-20-2006, 10:53 AM
a68fan

Oven cleaner will work too.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:16 AM
TIA

Oven cleaner? As in Easy-Off?

Just spay & wipe?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also use corn starch. Sprinkle it on, rub it in, let sit for a couple of hours and brush off. You will need to repeat this several times.

I also suggest coating/painting the area with SIG "StixIt", then recover. The StixIt has extreme holding power, much better than Balsarite. On fresh wood, the wood is going to separate before the covering comes loose. I have not tried StixIt under paint.

To remove covering applied over StixIt, you MUST apply heat to soften the StixIt while you are removing the covering.