Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

New Savage X

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Zman670

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Savage X

Got my son a new Sav. X this week abd have some beginner questions on the truck. I've got a nitro boat and electric buggy, but this is our 1st nitro car.

1st question is on break-in. We ran it on the stand last night and the car while it ran great was a bugger to start. Once running it idled nice and when the throttle was cracked a little, it instantly spooled up....we ran the first tank thru and it was fine.
We then let the car sit for 30 min cool down.
Put the 2nd tank in, and right away the engine flooded....once it was cleaned out, we finally got it started, but this time the engine runs like crap...the second you give it any gas the engin bogs or even cuts out completely.
I did not mess with any of the jets or anything yet, but this thing does not want to clear out. I have not had it running long enough to figure if it is lean or rich....as easy as it floods, my guess would be rich...
Any ideas on this "one tank good the next crap" would be appreciated....

My 2nd question has to do with the spur gear....this thing seems to mesh ok, but the spur gear wobbles like the shaft is bent (does not run true looking down on it). It is not binding at all, and works ok, it just has a definate "wobble" in it.....how normal can this be?

Anyway, thanks for the help in advance, and I'm glad I found this site....look like a good group here...
Old 04-20-2006, 10:38 AM
STI

Default RE: New Savage X

hello.. your guess is right its on the rich side. lean it a little bit. about the 2nd qustion i would check the transmission screws. good luck
Old 04-20-2006, 10:41 AM
BugattiFreak

engine is running like crap because its still on break in. be pacient, and lean up the engine a bit. also, if you dont want the engine to get flooded while plugging your exhaust to get the fuel in the engine, put the glow plug starter on there. also, just keep the mesh ok and itll be fine.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Zman670

Thanks, The thing that threw me was it ran sooo sweet the 1st tank, then went to the 2nd and it ran like a dump truck.

I'll back off on the hi speed just a tad & see.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:45 PM
Zman670

Thanks, I'll lean it a little and watch it....