Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Clear overcoat

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Clear overcoat

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 11:00 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear overcoat

I am just finishing a 77" Weeks Special. I have covered it with Solartex and plan to trim it with Jerry Nelson water based paint brushed on. The Solartex has a flat finish and needs to have a clear overcoat to prevent it from getting dirty.
What is a good clear overcoat that I can spray on with a spray can? I would use Nelsons clear but I hear it don't spay well in a dry climate. I am in a very dry climate -Arizona.
Its gas engine power so I don't need fuel prof paint.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:47 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Clear overcoat

If you don't need fuel-proof, then Krylon is as good as any, very durable paint, available in flat and gloss clear, dries quicker than Rustoleum, which is also good.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:22 PM
flipstart

I have mostly used Minwax Polyurethane spray, solvent based, not the Polyacrylic. Seems to cover brush strokes well on WWI type planes. I generally use Solartex and latex paint. Seems to hold up well, but does yellow some with age. Dries fast but takes 24 hours to cure out.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:46 AM
dirtybird

Why not the Polyacrylic? I bought a can of this and it seemed to do well on a test. Does it yellow with age?
Old 05-14-2006, 12:34 PM
khodges

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Not as rapidly or as much as oil based poly, but it will yellow some. Since you said you did not need fuel-proof, I recommended an acrylic enamel, which resists gasoline very well. My overall recommendation on model planes is LustreCote. Fuel proof to glow and gasoline, very tough finish, fast drying, doesn't yellow. Only consideration is compatability with enamels, but I have found that a couple of lightly misted coats over well-cured enamels works very well. Once those coats are dry, then a heavier coat can be applied; testing on an unimportant surface is prudent, though.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:38 PM
dirtybird

Thanks for your info. I guess I will go with Krylon. Its available and cheap.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:16 AM
dirtybird

Update.
I sprayed everything with Krylon and it worked out just great. No bubbling, blistering or yellowing of the covered paint. Check back in a couple of years and I will let you know how it held up. Only $2.35/spray can at Wall Mart!
Old 05-27-2006, 03:46 PM
CRAZYRYAN

that is cool