Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

G P 1/3 pitts , interplane struts?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

G P 1/3 pitts , interplane struts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 12:55 AM
pittsguy
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G P 1/3 pitts , interplane struts?

I just put the top wing on for the first time and the interplane struts have 1/2" gap on the top ,on left and right sides. I double checked bottom wing for correct dihedral it is dead on 5-1/4" so I checked top wing to be sure its flat and it is, so I checked cabane location its good. any ideas?
Old 12-20-2002, 02:39 AM
teefly-RCU

mine was and is the same way. have to pull the top wing down a bit to connect the interplane top bolts. seems like the manual mentions this. at any rate mine flies great. have fun
Old 12-20-2002, 03:51 AM
pittsman
My Feedback: (2)

Default top wing

pittsguy

is the 1/2 inch your talking about the distance from the cabanes to the bottom of the top wing or is it the distance from front to rear on the wing?? the center cabanes have a front (angled end towards the front of the fuse) and the outer cabanes or end struts are angled to fit the wings.......so there is a left and right side on those parts. the first pitts i assembled is mine and the second belongs to a friend of mine. the fiberglass struts in both boxes are the same(slight bevel or angle on the top and bottom). assembly on the second plane is going much easier than the first!!!! going to do some extra mods on this one and hope we can get it on a diet.. first pitts weighed in at 18 lbs. but she has stayed together so far.......

hope i was some help

pittsman
Old 12-21-2002, 01:24 AM
pittsguy

pittsman: The 1/2" i'm talking about is from top to bottom and it is on both sides ,1 inch total. i'm wondering if the holes for the struts are drilled in the right place? teefly says his is the same way .
Old 12-21-2002, 03:35 AM
teefly-RCU

the holes in the interplane struts are as close to the top and bottom edges about as close as they can be......right? any closer to the edge and there will not be enough "meat" to support the socket head attachment screw. Upon attachment the bottom wing is being pulled up some and the top being pulled down. Doesn't change the incidence...not creating washout.......only deflecting the wings. Like i said mine flies great. I will take a look in the manual tomorrow while in the shop and see if my memory serves me right about this being mentioned. looks like great weather here in the south for an afternoon of flying (high 50's and blue sky!) yeeehawww
Old 12-21-2002, 03:56 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was the same way........Looks funny but still flew great
Old 12-21-2002, 04:19 AM
pittsman
My Feedback: (2)

Default 1/2 inch ?????

when i joined my bottom wing, i just epoxied the the two halves together, without noticing the insert about the amount of dihedral
in the bottom wing( 5 1/4 inch with one wing panel lying flat on a surface and measuring the other wingtip). mine was actually closer to 5 1/2 or a hair more. i did not have any problem when i
went to mount the top wing........ upon installing the top wing,
bolting the center section to the fuse cabanes, when i put one end strut on and bolted it in place and went to install the other side, it fit just a little snug.... i felt comfortable with this fit.

what is the measurement of dihedral in your bottom wing??
that may have something to do with the distance problem.
let me know what it measures.

hey teefly, how about sending some of that weather to KENTUCKY

PLEASE, PLEASE

i am going nuts with this weather we are having here.
beautiful weather during the week and the boss just dont
understand why i need a 2-3 hour lunch break..........then on
the weekend the weather is cold or raining or BOTH. any 50+
weather you can send will be greatly appreciated.

thanks pittsman
Old 12-21-2002, 01:04 PM
teefly-RCU

That is a deal Pitts! I will box up some weather for some of Kentucky. LOVE that state brother! have fun and fly low
Old 12-21-2002, 04:17 PM
pittsguy

lucky southerners: It's 20 deg. with wind chill that feels like 0. the holes i'm talking about are the ones in the wing witch depict the angle or slant of the struts. (less slant less gap)center of bottom wing tip to holes 12", center of top wing tip to holes 12" by the way i'm in michigan not dumb thumbs frozen thumbs.
Old 12-22-2002, 12:16 AM
pittsguy

well guys I figured it out!!!!! what a dummy I a'm. I had the cabane struts on backwards! turned them around and everything is fine now. not frozen thums frozen brain:} THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS.
Old 12-26-2002, 02:53 AM
Tim Redelman
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wifey got me one of these for christmas. Whats the best motor for it?

Tim .
Old 12-26-2002, 12:59 PM
teefly-RCU

Be careful, you'll get an arguement going here with that simple question! Followed several lengthy posts on that subject concerning the Pitts. I fly scale, so I guess you could say I am on the right......... conservative side! The airframe is designed for the 40cc range. For smooth scale flying this will provide more than enough power. I run the US41, and for me it fits this application. Many will say it is too heavy. Well, the pitts balances perfectly without having to add tail weight, which should cancel out a lighter engine. Many say it doesn't have the power.....i run a 20x8 prop at 7400rpm and really wonder how a gas burner this size could do any better. Many will say that it just will not getcha outa trouble. Fly like you are sitting in the seat and you won't get into trouble. As far as power for this plane with this set-up: You can take off from a rough grass strip at just a bit above 1/4 throttle in a 10 mph headwind, stay off the ailerons and on the rudder, gain 150 or so feet of alititude, make a gentle rudder turn, let it sink maybe 50 feet on the downwind, and rudder her around with a nudge of counter aileron to keep the wings level, and grease it in with a very slow and affective flair on a three point landing. I have done this so take it for what it's worth. Try it! Then at full throttle you'll appreciate the power band! have fun with your new girl!