Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage Racers

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 08:23 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Racers

Some on this form know I am working on setting up my Savage to race. Some even say I am crazy for doing so but I am going to see how much I can get out of it. I would like other serious Savage races even if just on a local level to list there set up and post pictures. Tomorrow will be the first time ever I put my Savage on a track and will only be practicing. I have a long way to go before it is where I want it but do to founds I will be doing a little at a time and all so this way I will be able to see what changes make the biggest difference. I have been on some other form sites and it is amazing what they do to a Savage for racing.
Thanks for all input!

Old 05-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Puppy

Default RE: Savage Racers

You are not crazy, around here its always Savages & Revo's that are duke'ing it out for the podium spots.

On my Savage (which is completely stock aside from 5 cell reciever pack & high-torque steering servo), I just removed 4 of the 8 shocks to lower my center of gravity & drilled a hole in the rear window and ran the antenna mast out the back.

You just dont want to bash hard with it, bash hard with only 4 shocks on it that is.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50221.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	463915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14636.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	463916  
Old 05-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Stephen25

What weight oil are you running in your 4 shocks?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:01 PM
46u

I am going to get the LCG chassis I hope in the next month.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:29 PM
46u

Up till now all I have done is bash because they’re where not any tracks unless you drove 60 miles one way. They how have a track about 10 miles away so I want to set up to race. This is the start and I have a long way to go. I have many changes to make! I will be running on a Very tight track! I will never get out of first gear.

Savage 4.6 SS
5-cell receiver pack
30-weight oil in shocks
49 spur 18 CB
Trinity low roll foam inserts
Pro-Line 1.26 offset wheels
Nova alloy shoes
Have not done the toe and camber but hope to at the track tomorrow.
Front wheels 3-degree negative camber 2 degree toe
Front wheels 2-degree negative camber 1 degree toe

I have on the way bearings to do the steering mod, red shock springs.
The offset wheels and Trinity low roll foam inserts cut out a lot of the roll.

The list for what I have plains to do is long and I will list it later.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:32 PM
46u

Puppy how are the Savages doing against the Revo and has any of them run the 3.3 Revo yet?
Old 05-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Puppy

Stephen,

I cant recall, I set my Savage up that way a couple of years ago and havent needed to change or rebuild them since, well except to put on/take off the shocks for racing/bashing.

I was actually pretty surprised that I havent busted any of those stock shocks running only 4 of them, but then again I have found that the Savages are so over-engineered that they soak up the abuse pretty good regardless.

46u,

Revo's are Revo's, regardless of if they have a high-end aftermarket small block or 3.3 doesnt make any difference to me, upon reaching a certain point of a trucks handling and preformance, it becomes less & less about the truck & more & more about the consistancy of the driver.

My Savage 25 doesnt have the most powerful engine on the track & it isnt the tightest handling truck on the track, but it is fast enough & handles smooth enough if I do my part.

I try to get into a good rhythm, I try not to "race" the other trucks & I just try to go around the track as fast as I can without making any mistakes / or at least I try to make less mistakes than the other drivers do.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:17 PM
emu

46u:

I saw your post on the other forum don't run toe in in the front, that guy has no clue.

As far as camber as munch as you can get shave the plastic to get even more.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:26 PM
46u

I agree and understand about driver skill but how are the Savages doing against the Revo at your track? Neck and neck, Revo win more or what?
Thanks
Old 05-19-2006, 10:34 PM
46u

I can use all the help I can get, as I will probably be the only Savage at the track. I know I keep saying this but I will be running on a VERY tight track here in Macon. If I get doing well I will be going all over Georgia and racing at different tracks. Others will not be as thigh as the one here but one step at a time.
Thanks for the input.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:43 PM
emu

Racing with Revo's all I can say is good luck, as far toe and camber settings go over and ask in 1/8 buggy forum, prob more racer's there than any where on this site.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:53 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: emu

Racing with Revo's all I can say is good luck, as far toe and camber settings go over and ask in 1/8 buggy forum, prob more racer's there than any where on this site.
I like a good challenge because when you do well you sure enough turn heads! I all so like doing things that say cannot be done and in most case I have prevailed. The only reason I do not spend more time on the form where you saw my other post is because people on that form are not as welling to help and treat me like I am a child when probably I am older then most of them if not all. I have only been it to RC for about 5 or 6 years but I have been doing machine work and machine work for over 35 years none stop.
Thanks

Old 05-19-2006, 10:59 PM
paperclipracer

if you want to find good racing ideas for your savage try, savagecentral.com and savageracer.com
Old 05-19-2006, 11:02 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: paperclipracer

if you want to find good racing ideas for your savage try, savagecentral.com and savageracer.com
I have and if you read my above post you will see why I am not there more often.
Thanks
Old 05-19-2006, 11:02 PM
Puppy

46u,

Consistant 19 sec lap times is consistant 19 sec lap times, regardless of which truck the driver is turning those times with.

Revo's w/decent drivers can turn consistantly those 19 sec lap times and Savages w/decent drivers can consistantly turn those 19 sec lap times.

Honestly I dont know how else to explain it to you better than that.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:07 PM
emu

ORIGINAL: 46u

ORIGINAL: emu

I like a good challenge because when you do well you sure enough turn heads! I all so like doing things that say cannot be done and in most case I have prevailed. The only reason I do not spend more time on the form where you saw my other post is because people on that form are not as welling to help and treat me like I am a child when probably I am older then most of them if not all. I have only been it to RC for about 5 or 6 years but I have been doing machine work and machine work for over 35 years none stop.
Thanks

Ya I know just lot of kids there, good luck.. [8D]
Old 05-19-2006, 11:27 PM
46u

Thanks for proving my point.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Roscco

Here is a link to a savage racer build, not finished yet but should give you some great starting pointers. The guy responsible for the work (is an RC god in my opinion) really knows what he's doing (not saying you don't) and this is looking to be the best savage racer i've seen. Hope it provides some help/inspiration for you.

http://www.truggyracers.com/forum/in...showtopic=5008

Good luck
Old 05-20-2006, 08:14 PM
poe

http://www.hobbytron.com/Maxx-Clawz-...fset-Rims.html

Wouldnt these rims work as well? How can you just take off the tires and save the rims?
Old 05-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Ziggmiester

Now as far as I go, I don't race, but I have heard of people drilling out the A arms to make the entire thing that much lighter, but that much more breakable.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:23 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: poe

http://www.hobbytron.com/Maxx-Clawz-...fset-Rims.html

Wouldnt these rims work as well? How can you just take off the tires and save the rims?
I would think they will work but the ones I listed have a greater offset if I am not mistaken.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:37 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: Ziggmiester

Now as far as I go, I don't race, but I have heard of people drilling out the A arms to make the entire thing that much lighter, but that much more breakable.

Go to some other web sites where there are a lot more Savage racers and you would be surprised what they shave and cut down to take off weight. Some of them are down to 9 pounds! Roscco looks pretty good but I do not see why any one would run alloy A arms as they are just to heavy. I would think whatever weight you saved with the carbon fiber was added back with the alloy A arms. What ever works for you.

I took my Savage today to the track with the setup I have listed above and I was very pleased with how it handled. Very little or no roll! I all so got my springs and steering bearings today and will have to see how or if these changes help. I did have one problem that made it where I had to stop running it the right front tier cam unglued from the wheel. So I ran my MT and the front dif messed up on it. Put the Rush out there and the air filter came of and got some dirt in the carb. When I got home I took the engine apart out of my Rush and thank goodness there was no dirt in the engine! Will keep all posted on changes and how it affects the handling if my heath holds out.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Chronic

I'm running the red/orange springs too. I've got a single spacer on each rear spring, and on the front I now have one black spring and one orange spring on each corner with no spacers. I'm swapping out the whole shock setup soon though. These things just aren't up to the task.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:23 PM
46u

Just did the bearing mod to the steering and it sure took a LOT of the play out!
Old 05-21-2006, 08:28 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: Chronic

I'm running the red/orange springs too. I've got a single spacer on each rear spring, and on the front I now have one black spring and one orange spring on each corner with no spacers. I'm swapping out the whole shock setup soon though. These things just aren't up to the task.

What are you going to? Are you going to the 4 buggy shocks? If I stay in racing I am going to the buggy shocks but I would get the LCG set up first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.