Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

I know how to build but covering scares me

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

I know how to build but covering scares me

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 02:19 PM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know how to build but covering scares me

Is there a site that exsplains ways to do it and with different materials?
Old 12-20-2002, 02:28 PM
AlStack
My Feedback: (1)

Here is the instruction link to the MonoKote website.
http://www.monokote.com/monoinst1.html
I have yet to cover my first plane (heck I just flew my trainer for the first time last weekend) and I'm sure it will be an interesting experience. I would like to find more information myself.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:45 PM
phayd

It takes practice. My first covering job looked like crap. I knew it would, so I covered a $30 sailplane. My second covering job was the same sailplane, because I hated the color (bright orange). It looks much better. My third covering job was my trainer, and I used a complex design to increase visibility and practice covering. Now my 4th should be near perfect, which is my goal, as it is a scale warbird, which will be a hangar queen for at least another year.

The moral of the story: Your first covering won't look good.

Now, some pointers to help you:

1. Get/rent/borrow the monokote video. It makes the craft shows on PBS look good, but it has a LOT of useful information on covering. Their technique for covering wings will result in a perfect wing more often than not.

2. Get your iron set before you put covering on your plane. I like my iron HOT for monokote, but I use it quickly on the surface.

3. If you're putting covering on top of covering, either get the Top Flite woodpecker or use the squeegee meathod.

4. Cover bottom up. This points your seams downward, thus allowing fuel to run off better.

5. Get a covering sock.

6. Get a heat gun. Don't hold it in one spot for too long or you will melt a hole in the covering.

7. Make sure to cover the small areas first. Aileron ends, flap ends, wing tips, rudder bottom, rudder top, Elevator ends. The idea here is that the larger covering is holding down the smaller covering. Install all of these first, then go back and install the ones you missed. Do this before covering large areas.

8. Get a cutting tool, and make sure to set it to cut through one layer of covering only.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:22 AM
AlStack
My Feedback: (1)

Georgee

Here is a link to an article by John Adams of Horizon Hobbies. If you have Horizon'sBig Book Vol III this article is in there. He goes into depth on UltraCote, gives plenty of good information. http://www.mvrc.homestead.com/Covering.html
Old 12-21-2002, 12:50 PM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for your help,Once i read up on how to do it i'll give it a try.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:57 PM
grazzhopper

Which covering cutting tool do you recommend? About to start covering my first, and have iron and gun and homemade sock. Don't know which hobby specific tools are "jewels" and which are cons or luxury items. Also, I bought the dubro hinge slotting blades and I think they might be to thick to use for CA hinges leaving too large a slot...advice? Thanks.
Old 12-21-2002, 02:33 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Georgee,
Like the others have said,,Go slow
I've been covering models for close to 30 years and If I rush it shows!!
If I want a plane to come out nice, I make sure I don't try to do to much at one sitting,, I'll do half a wing one night half the next, if you hurry it will be a mess

Good luck and welcome to the other half of the hobby, Building!!
Old 12-21-2002, 10:50 PM
smokingcrater

Personally, I would rather cover than build, its a shame there aren't more ARC models out there. Building just seems like following the steps and doing drudge work, covering is an artform, both in the quality and also what you actually make it look like.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:24 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

grazzhopper,

You're right, the DuBro tool is too large to use for CA hinges.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:25 PM
gone.

Invest in sharp # 11 Blades!!!!!
Old 12-23-2002, 08:42 PM
flyin_kyle

I agree with Kramer. Building is just fine, but to cover cant' be beat. My first was pitiful, and my dad helped me by doing most of it, but my 3rd and last one to date is rather good. Being chrome and black, it shows all errors well.
Old 12-24-2002, 05:11 PM
wonderfulwade

Look, I,m not that talented of a craftsman and have only covered two planes, both turned out better than any ARF covering job. Like most other aspects of this hobby, USE COMMON SENSE and you will not need a website to explain it to you. It's like flying, you can read about it all day long but till you actually start doing it you'll never pick it up.

Test heat settings for different coverings on scrap. All coverings are different. Use higher temperature monocote type covering for the base and use lower temp covering for trim - I.E. econokote, towercote, ect. Use lowest heat passable for adhesion then come back and shrink and smooth. Follow the directions in tubes of covering for large areas such as wings. This really is the best and easiest way to cover these parts. Have spare socks for your heat iron, you can inslall them inside out to double the usage. If you smear colors over each other use goop off to easily clean it up. If you mess up rip the covering off and start over.

Take your time and plan ahead and you will have a unique product that will bring you credit at the flying field. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	42815_14187.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	26387  
Old 12-24-2002, 05:15 PM
wonderfulwade

Default Second covering effort............

Just takes time.................
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	42816_14187.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	26388  
Old 01-23-2003, 08:30 PM
spuck5644

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Covering

All the above advice is good.
My suggestions would be:
Start witrh the correct tools:
1. 21st Century Covering Iron so you control the heat.
2. a Trim Iron, (They are pretty much all the same).
3. a box of #11 Blades. Don't be afraid to throw them away when they start to "drag".(Nothing dulls a blade faster than covering film)
4. a box of Single edge razor blades, (Menard's or the like)
5. UltraCote/Oracover. This is the easiest film to apply and is much more "forgiving" than other films. Also works at lower temps.
6. Time! go SLOWLY. Don't be afraid to rip off covering that doesn't suit you. Another roll is cheaper than a a crappy looking aircraft. Don't get frustrated, it just takes practice.

Good Luck!
Steve

Puckett Model Aviation
Old 02-04-2003, 03:32 PM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

Ditto the "box of #11 blades". They dull quickly when covering AND dull blades tear the covering. You want a clean cut, so replace the blade often.

The top flite cool hand is really nice to use when using the heat gun while pulling corners.

Ultracote plus is really nice to use when applying trim colors. It has a sticky-back which allows you to reposition before sealing down with heat. It works great over monokote.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:25 AM
Small Fry

I've notice a lot of posts showing a design planned out on the computer before you cover. What program is that, and where can I get it. It is comin down for me to cover, and I'd like to have a look at what it's supposed to look like before hand.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:24 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Small Fry,
There are lots of them, and like anything, the better they are, the more expensive they are. But there's one that comes with Windows... (if they still include it... I'm a MAC user so I don't know what Bill Gates is giving you guys now days) It's called "Paint". Look for it in your accessories folder and play with it.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Small Fry

I have paint, and I have a photo editing software. Would I just Scan a pic of the plane and open it in one of those? haha, wait, looking back on this post, I can answer that lol.