Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Help me pick an engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 08:48 AM
dubya_o
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick an engine

I'm working on a Pitts model 12 with a 68" wing span. Flying weight is going to be between 15-16 pounds. I won't be doing 3d and want to be able to fly it in a scale like manner. This will be my first gasser so please overlook my ignorance. I'm thinking DA50 but just because I want one for a future project. It will stick out the bottom of the cowl quite a bit and may be too much power for the type of flying I want to do with this plane. for example; if I do a low high speed inverted pass, I want the throttle to be high enough that it SOUNDS like a high speed pass. The ZDZ40 looks good but it's too tall will stick out the bottom of the cowl way more than I would prefer. I'm also thinking of a Fuji 43 EI. It will fit well physically but will it have enough power for good vertical? Please give me your thoughts on these or any other engines you might recommend.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:40 PM
dubya_o

Default RE: Help me pick an engine

Anyone? Is there somewhere else I should post this?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:43 AM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

I'd go with the DA 50 since you might use it in a future project. Plus you can't beat their customer service and I'm sure you'll still get the effects you want.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:43 AM
cyprusjets

Did you have a look of the MVVS 45 IRS-MG???

ORIGINAL: dubya_o

I'm working on a Pitts model 12 with a 68" wing span. Flying weight is going to be between 15-16 pounds. I won't be doing 3d and want to be able to fly it in a scale like manner. This will be my first gasser so please overlook my ignorance. I'm thinking DA50 but just because I want one for a future project. It will stick out the bottom of the cowl quite a bit and may be too much power for the type of flying I want to do with this plane. for example; if I do a low high speed inverted pass, I want the throttle to be high enough that it SOUNDS like a high speed pass. The ZDZ40 looks good but it's too tall will stick out the bottom of the cowl way more than I would prefer. I'm also thinking of a Fuji 43 EI. It will fit well physically but will it have enough power for good vertical? Please give me your thoughts on these or any other engines you might recommend.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:58 AM
cyprusjets

Some info for you!!

Regards Eftychios
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42178.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	472940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77922.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	472941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di11008.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	472942  
Old 06-06-2006, 09:09 AM
AeroDave

Yeah,
if you're looking at this purchase as an investment for future projects you should definitely get the DA. No reason to limit your options in terms of 3D, power to weight, etc. THere are many good reasons to buy another brand for specific applications, but I honestly don't think any one engine will wear as many hats as the DA 50.
regards,
Dave
Old 06-06-2006, 02:12 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the DA and 3W engines. However, I have some 50cc size airplanes including a 68" bipe (Christian Eagle) and I am using the First Place 3.2 on them, built right here in the US (like the DA). Customer service is also outstanding. However, they come with a good, custom muffler (not a B&B brick) and the listed weight includes that. This makes them a better value in my opinion. They swing the same size prop as the DA ( 22 X 10) and I have flown with DA equiped planes of the same size with equal performance. They also are an investment that will last you for years and give you all you need in performace for that size plane. Just another option to consider.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:25 PM
AeroDave

That's a really good point. So the cost of getting an FPE in the air is less because it includes a decent muffler in the base price. I wasn't aware of that.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:45 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Yeah man I flew an FPE 3.2 for a couple years no problems. The only problem I had I was able to get fixed quickly with new parts. Kurt also says he has a larger motor comming out thats like 54cc's. Either way you go its also a good choice. Taurus is also made in the US of A. DA's are great and so are 3W's though if you find a deal.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:32 PM
ram3500-RCU

You are correct. I think the new ones are 3.4 instead of 3.2.
ORIGINAL: airborneSGT

Yeah man I flew an FPE 3.2 for a couple years no problems. The only problem I had I was able to get fixed quickly with new parts. Kurt also says he has a larger motor comming out thats like 54cc's. Either way you go its also a good choice. Taurus is also made in the US of A. DA's are great and so are 3W's though if you find a deal.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:42 PM
ram3500-RCU

Yes. The stock muffler is one made by F.P.E. ( Kurt) and not just an aluminum block with pipes taped into it, or a lawn mower muffler. Also, it needs no fancy stand-offs or additional mounting hardware. When you consider it's readiness, power, durability, and weight, the value just makes all the more sence. I also like the one bolt prop mounting (taped for spinner screws).
ORIGINAL: AeroDave

That's a really good point. So the cost of getting an FPE in the air is less because it includes a decent muffler in the base price. I wasn't aware of that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19514.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	473208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13854.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	473209  
Old 06-06-2006, 09:08 PM
AeroDave

I like the single bolt thing too. you don't need to buy a prop jig. After reading this, I went the Chief Aircraft and looked at the FPEs. For the 3.2 they claim something like 23 lbs of thrust. i know this is hard to measure on the ground, but I'll bet the DA is putting out more than that. I wonder what the performance figures for the 3.4 are? I don't own a DA 50, simply because the cost of getting one off the ground is to me prohibative. I'd rather wait and get a DA 100 and have a bigger plane. So I'm kind of thinking about this FPE thing. So at this time i still think the DA 50 is THE engine in the category. But as I've said many times before, its about making the numbers work for you. So if the thrust to weight ratio you need for solid 3D performance exists in a more cost effective engine, it becomes the smart choice. No matter how cool those decals look....
Old 06-06-2006, 09:42 PM
airborneSGT

Dude the two engines are not so far apart. I am not talking crazy but as someone who has owned both! I have owned the FPE 3.2 and DA 50 at the same time and in the same plane its about the same performance. The DA having the slight edge in my opinion, but only slight.

The FPE 3.2 had no problem hovering my 17-17.5lb Ultimate! Honestly this motor kicks butt. Kurt has awesome support and this was one of my first gas engines and survived my learning curve! Just being honest.

But the single prop bolt is really nice in saving you money in not drilling props and not drilling spinners. Not saying that it bothers me as I have a DA 50, 100 and 3W 150. Oh yeah and an FPE 2.4.

Either way you go so long as you go for like DA, FPE, 3W or even ZDZ (which I have flown with good success also) you wont go wrong.

Let me tell you this also. When the plane is flying and hovering down on the deck - it doesnt care what is flying it. So long as it spins the prop at the correct RPM and is reliable it could say Dewalt for all I care. If the engine gets the job done, then run it! Who cares the brand. The only difference in my opinion is cost and customer service.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:45 PM
airborneSGT

Check out the Brilleli and Scott Ellington (sorry if I am butchering your names!) engines as well for cost effective gas.

Seeing as you are flying a Bipe, you will need the 50cc power. I have had 2 GP Christen Eagles and the 29% Wild Hare bipe. They have more drag, more squares, and really like the extra power!
Old 06-07-2006, 12:02 AM
dubya_o

Thanks guys. I'm really leanin toward the DA but that FPE has got me to thinkin????
Old 06-07-2006, 12:09 AM
airborneSGT

Look here on RCU for a DA 50 that has all the misc. items you need to get it going:

I.E. drill guide, maybe a spinner and some props drilled, muffler.

Look to spend about $700 to get your DA 50 vs. whatever the cost of the FPE or other engines are. Dont think cost so much, think a few planes ahead. In any case either engine will fly your average 28% plane just fine. The cost of replacement parts for the FPE 3.2 is slightly higher than the DA also which is something to consider. For example if you needed a new clyinder head, you would have to get the piston and ring as well.

Other than that both are great. Although if you want to get crazy with it do some accounting. See which will depreciate in value faster, what the used value will be, what your average operating cost will be....wait I thought this was a hobby? lol
Old 06-07-2006, 08:05 AM
ram3500-RCU

I also can hover 17.5 lbs with pull out power with the FPE 3.2. The new one is a little bigger bore even. Remember, it comes with everything you need. No accessories to buy. Kurt is very knowlegeble about these engines and also has done experimenting with different oils in them. A phone call to him will yeald much usefull info and maybe help with your decision. Either way, DA or FPE, I'm sure you won't be disapointed in the performance, it's just with the FPE, you will still have enough money left for servos and such.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

I just ordered an FPE 5.8 from www.Firstplaceengines.com for $629.00 shipped. In the promotion block code use fpejanmar, and the 10% coupon kicks in... Not a bad price! Tig welded muffler, C&H ignition, and free shipping. Budget motor for my Lanier 94" Yak I picked up from Tower for $399.00. 33% bird and motor for $1029...not bad. Add a reciever and servos, should be good to go. My 33% on a budget. The DA85 was $799, plus $150 for a muffler, that's a grand. I think the FPE 5.8 should be close. Like one poster said, the plane doesn't care if it's a Dewalt pulling it. My first gasser, and I don't fly professionally, just a weekend warrior.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:31 PM
martinarcher
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the DA. It is a super flexible engine that like others said can wear quite a few hats. I have the 100 and am thrilled with it. You just fuel and flip. Their customer service is also excellent. I have called them for advice on set-up and other questions relating to their engine and they have never let me down and are great to talk with.

I also feel that buying the best engine you can afford saves money in the long haul. The DA will long long time. If you buy a more specific, cheaper engine for a project that won't work for you down the road you end up buying two engines anyways.

Good luck with your choice and have fun with your Pitts!