Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

40% Yak issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 07:20 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40% Yak issue

Now why would you pre cut the 1/2inch balsa to be used for the hinge material on the wings, and supply the kit with 2 inch cut width material. I went by your plans for the cut and my ailerons are 2-3/16ths thick at the root end...I won't worry about the 1/2 inch warp in this 2 inch piece. I had to replace all of the 1/2 inch stock you supplied with this kit. I was just wondering about this, Thank you
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72925.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	472692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84617.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	472693  
Old 06-05-2006, 08:30 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: 40% Yak issue

I ran into the exact same thing with my 35%. I just purchased my own 1/2" balsa sheet so I could cut the hinge material to the correct size.

Extremely frustrating, I know....having to fight these kinds of little "detail" problems just takes all the fun out of the build......however, the silver lining is a pretty nice flying airplane.

John, in all seriousness.....have you ever considered selling "short kits" of your designs? Maybe something where you supply all the foam and laser-cut wood parts, tubes/phenolics, landing gear...and include the glass or suggest a supplier of the glass parts?
IMO, giving the builder the flexibility to choose the quality of the sheeting and balsa parts is a nice option
Old 06-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Aerotech

Hello,

All the wood is from one or the same suppliers our competitors use. Now when you have a surface wider you have more than enough wood to splice in a small piece wood. No difference when sheeting the the fuse, wing etc. We have no intentions for short kits. 99% of folks don't want that. Im also glad Jason your happy with the flight performance and we will and do support our customers when questions arise.

Thank you

John
Old 06-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Aeroplane Factory Jets

HI NOT FOR NOTHING BUT BUILDERS SHOULD LOOK OVER ALL THE WOOD AND BALSA STOCK THAT COMES IN A KIT BEFORE STARTING THE BUILD . I LAY OUT ALL THE WOOD FOR A DAY OR TWO BEFORE I START BUILDING. I KNOW THAT BALSA WOOD CAN SWELL AND SHRINK DO TO DIFFERENCE IN CLIMATE FROM ONE STATE TO ANOTHER . I BUILD FULL TIME AND SEE IT ALL THE TIME .

I LOVE MY 40% YAK JOHN
Old 06-07-2006, 10:55 AM
rcavi8ter
My Feedback: (19)

The problem that Walt and myself ran into is you can't see the shortages until the ailerons are sheeted and cut out of the wing. laying the wood out will not show you if it is going to be wide enough to cap the surfaces. The Yak Walt is in question about is one of mine. I bought two of them. I built one and he built one. We both encountered the same problems. We are not bashing just letting John know. BTW Walt is one of the best if not the best builder in the midwest. This is not his first rodeo. Looking forward to having these birds done and flying in short order.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Aerotech

Hello,

I spoke to Walt with some questions he had a while back and he is a first class person for sure. I know your not bashing, Im just replying to how you can make up the difference very easy to the material supplied. I can't wait to see how the finished product comes out. Keep us posted.

Thanks again for trusting us.

Best Regards

John