Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Reverse module broke

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 09:50 AM
4 stroken ron
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse module broke

I have had a Reverse mod in my X for several months. I have only used it a few times but it has always worked well. Yesterday I was driving alone and I suddenly lost power. The motor was running fine, just not going anywhere. When I tore it down I found the 87035c gear broken lose from its shaft. Has anyone else had this happen? Is this common? I guess I would not think much about it, if I had been beating it around but I wasn't in fact I had not even used rev. that night.
My first picture is what it should look like. Second picture is after the break.
Thanks for any help
Ton
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15944.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	484159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38208.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	484160  
Old 06-28-2006, 09:56 AM
ELITE913

Default RE: Reverse module broke

the part that broke... did the steel break? or was it plastic or aluminum?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:06 AM
bam.bam

Same thing happend to me awhile back. But that was due to servo glitching. The area that I was in had 'dead" spots so when truck would go to these spots, it would twitch the reverse servo and kick in reverse while still moving forward. Broke what's in your pic and 3 tooth on the gears itself. Good thing the tranny gears were intact. Rather buy a reverse module than a tranny. Needless to say I upgraded to DSM and never had the glitch issues anymore. I do know they sell the individual part that you broke but I recall a whole new reverse module was a few more dollars than the part and was not worth getting just that part. At least you would have spare parts if buying the whole kit.
Good luck.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:19 AM
JayC1968
My Feedback: (3)

Bam bam hit this one on the head.
Even the slightest servo glitch can throw the 3rd channel into reverse enough for it to engage, causing a fouled up mess of the module.
If you insist on running reverse use an FM tx & rx at the least. AM radios tend to glitch alot
Old 06-28-2006, 10:47 AM
benzzyo5

that happned to me cuz i was switching to reverse when still moving forward[:-].
Old 06-28-2006, 11:40 AM
bam.bam

ORIGINAL: benzzyo5

that happned to me cuz i was switching to reverse when still moving forward[:-].

Hey Ben, do it again and let us know what happens....
Old 06-28-2006, 11:50 AM
4 stroken ron

The broken part is steel. I use a Futaba 3PJ radio with the DSM module and it was not glitching. I use the 2 position knob on top of the transmitter to shift from forward to reverse, and it had not moved. I sent a letter to HPI support about this and they want to inspect the part. May be good news. I am going to send it to them today. I will let you know what happens.
Ron
Old 06-28-2006, 01:06 PM
bam.bam

ORIGINAL: 4 stroken ron

I sent a letter to HPI support about this and they want to inspect the part. May be good news.
That Great News indeed. Are they aking to send in the whole reverse module or just that part?

Let us know how it turns out. I still have that broken piece... maybe I can get a replacement for free... [wishful thinking]
Old 06-28-2006, 03:46 PM
4 stroken ron

Just the parts.
Ron