Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

SH 28, but NOT the Prospec - any good??????

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

SH 28, but NOT the Prospec - any good??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 12:36 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SH 28, but NOT the Prospec - any good??????

Hey, there're some SH 28's for sale on e-bay here in Germany, but they are NOT the Prospecs which are supposedly so awesome.. I've heard that the earlier ones had con-rod problems... Is this the same one, or something new??:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Verbrennermotor-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Just wondering, cuz there seem to be a few of these around suddenly, and am looking for something cheap and powerful to put into my HB Lightning GT??

(I guess the question is, IS there a new SH 28 NON-Prospec, that's good and doesn't have those old con-rod problems???????? This engine has three ports....)

Thanks..
Old 06-29-2006, 12:43 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SH 28, but NOT the Prospec - any good??????

I think there was another version of the SH .28 that had a green head that was the revised older model. I think the green headed motors came with the conrod problem fixed. But I am not 100% sure. The STS .28 can also be had cheap and it is also supposedly a great motor.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:50 PM
HerrSavage

But this is Germany, and Customs will get you.. There are a couple of these motors for auction on e-bay here in Germany, and haveable for a good price.. I was just wondering if maybe SH came out with an improved version of the old 3-port engine, sans con-rod problems...
Old 06-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Chronic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally wouldn't put that engine in your single speed GT. It's a 3 port .28 with a weak connecting rod... high RPM running is not that engine's strong point.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:08 PM
HerrSavage

OK, so I want a high-revver? How 'bout an STS or LRP?...
Old 06-29-2006, 02:28 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

OK, so I want a high-revver? How 'bout an STS or LRP?...
Between the STS and LRP, for RPM's I would say LRP. The LRP Spec 2 is the same motor as the SH .28 Prospec P6.

Edit - To give you a better idea what the SH .28 Prospec P6 motor can do, here is a video of it in an LST2. So, if it will perform like this in a heavy vehicle, imagine what it will do in a lighter truck. I seen this video posted on another site, so I have no credit for the video. It's not mine:

http://media.putfile.com/LST2-SH28-Test-1
Old 06-29-2006, 02:33 PM
HerrSavage

An LRP Spec 2 costs about €200 minimum here... the Spec 3 even more.. In dollars, that's like 250 bucks..... I want to spend about half that...

Another option might be the Nosram 28, also apparently identical with the Prospec, Spec 2, XTM and so on...
Old 06-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Chronic

Yeah, you should be able to locate a Nosram over there for a decent price. Those 6 port engines(SH/LRP/XTM/Nosram) are very good considering the price. I don't think I would really classify them as RPM monsters, but they have a broad powerband that would accent that single speed better than the other one you mentioned. Durability is also greatly improved over the old one.

How much does that thing weigh? and what kind of clutchbell does it use?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:08 PM
boydie1

Patrick, I've got one of the older SH engines and it's been great. The only conrod fault I can now see is the oneway bearing housing is starting to rub against the conrod. This is after approx 25 litres so the engine is probably due for a rebuild anyway with piston,sleeve & rod
Old 06-30-2006, 01:04 AM
HerrSavage

The truck itself is very light - those huge tires even seem light. Stock it's only got a 2-shoe clutch, and to be honest I don't know the gearing off hand..

Just went and checked - 12T CB, and a 50T center gear..

13 and 14T CB's are available..

I guess when I get serious about getting a new engine for it, I'm gonna have to scour some Lightning Stadium forums and find out what a good clutch set-up, as well as how best to gear it.. Up til now I was just gonna throw my Axial 28(with Mugen alu clutch shoes) in as it is and see what happens.. For the time being though I'm hoping to get a bit more mileage out of the stock 26 - we'll see though...
Old 06-30-2006, 04:40 AM
amec

Boydie and i were playing at the high school oval the other day and i gotta tell ya, my prospec and his 3 port were real close in performance. Perhaps with tuning there is a difference, but not much.
If you can find a green head .28, then that is the one to get. If not, just make do and enjoy. Bang for buck you cant beat the SH. My 2 cents worth
Old 06-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Smokinjoe6450
My Feedback: (6)

I have the black head SH .28 and have had no problems with about 2 gallons through it. VERY strong engine and great performance. Easy to tune and great price. Another great bang for buck is the XTM .247 pro. Same company......
Old 06-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Chronic

I wasn't saying that it isn't a good engine, just that I would not pick it for Patricks application. He is working with a single speed basher, and to fully take advantage of that he would want an engine with a very broad powerband. The old 3 port SH mills are just outclassed in that regard by some of the newer engines out there. Combine that with the KNOWN connecting rod problem, and it's just safer to go with something else. That's all.