Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

FourStar 60 or Tiger 60 powered with an OS 60FP?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

FourStar 60 or Tiger 60 powered with an OS 60FP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 03:07 PM
RhyanO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FourStar 60 or Tiger 60 powered with an OS 60FP?

Hello all,

I have an early 90s OS 60FP engine that I would like to put in a low-wing sport type aircraft.
I have been looking at two kits that I would like to put this engine into. The Sig FourStar 60 and the Carl Goldberg Tiger 60.
My hesitation is wheather this engine will have adequate power for these airframes. The 60FP engine is a bushing engine and does not have the power
that the ball bearing engines have.
Im curious if anyone has any thoughts or opinions on using this engine in either of these kit airplanes?

Can the Tiger 60 be built as a tail dragger configuration? Just curious.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 06-30-2006, 05:29 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: FourStar 60 or Tiger 60 powered with an OS 60FP?

The OS FP 60 will fly both of those planes with no problems at all. You are right, the engines are not power house's, hoever I believe they are the best engines that OS ever made and I still own and fly them today. Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-04-2006, 12:21 PM
mobileraptor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't tell you much about the engine but i would like to comment on the plane choice. both are great plane but they do fly differently.

The four star is a floater, it will fly at very low speeds, it has a tendency to change trim with speed and then there is what is known as the fourstar bounce. The fourstar has a tendency to bounce or re-take off on landing if the land isn't perfect. All the fourStars do this. The 4Star is a little wind sensitive.

The Tiger leans a little more to the pattern side of the fence. Holds trim at most speeds lands slow but not as slow as the 4star. The ones I have had were set up as tail dragger and do well in that config but the tricycle gear will stick to the runway like glue. Aerobatic are smoother and has a feel of flying on rails.

Old 07-04-2006, 01:09 PM
AeroDave

I would vote for the Tiger. If you're building the kit, cut all but a couple of degrees of dihedral out of the wing. You'll like it. The tail dragger thing works great on that plane. The kit comes out suprisingly light and will fly very well on your fine engine.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:57 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Built as a taildragger, this is very simple to fly. Just don't punch the throttle, push it up gradually when taking off. Use the rudder to steer. A very solid feeling plane. I have 2 of them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88756.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	487196  
Old 07-05-2006, 01:06 PM
RhyanO

Thanks for the insight into these two planes!

For those who have built the Tiger 60; did you build the wing according to plan with the specified dihedral? Or did you remove some or all of the dihedral? and if so how did it effect the flight characteristics?

Thanks again,
Ryan
Old 07-05-2006, 07:01 PM
mobileraptor

I have built a Tiger 40, Which I built acording to the plans and I have built a Tiger 60 which I highly modified.

I took all the dihedral out, rudder servo one frame aft of the aft wing mount with the rudder on a pull - pull. Air retracts, one servo in each wing for the alerons. So the only servos under the wing were the throttle which was a miniture servo and a std servo on the elevator. all the servos were 9202's with the exception of the throttle.

With all! the dihedral removed the plane stays were you put it. if yo put it into a 60 degree bank it stays in a 60 degree bank until you tell it to do something else. if you put any dihedral in the plane it will try to settle into level flight.

If your going to take the time to build a Tiger there are two areas you want to pay close attention to. The area just aft of the wing in the fuss corners are a little weak, reinforce these corners with a triangle of lite ply a 3/4" by 3/4" triangle should do it.

Second you want to make sure the wing is level with the fuse and then the stab is level with the fuse. Find the center line of the plane on the plans and transfer that to the fuse. level the wing to match, you may have to sand the saddle to make match and you have to do both sides. level the sab and your good to go.

doing this will give you near pattern ship performance, and shuold be very close to netural flight wether right side up or inverted.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:12 PM
RhyanO

Thanks mobileraptor.
How does the Tiger 60 perform knife-edge flight?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 07-06-2006, 09:02 PM
bingo field

If I had to say that the Tiger has a weak spot, it would be the almost lack of knife edge with the stock rudder.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:40 PM
mobileraptor

I agree with bingo on that, the vertical stab is big enough and the fus has enough side area, but the rudder isn't big enough. I inlarged mine but i did it a little different. I basically left it the same size at the top of the rudder and increased the bottom till the rudder trailing edge was 90 degrees to the center line of the plane. this will reduce some of the roll coupling effect of the rudder and requires less aleron to keep it in knife edge flight.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:24 AM
bingo field

Can you give me picture of what you did to your rudder? Mine is undergoing surgury due to flight vector interception of a small tree. I think I have an idea, but a picture would tell all.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:55 PM
bingo field

too late, I have modified mine now. I'll have to "borrow" the wifes camera and see if can post a picture of the result.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:25 AM
jigeye

A 60 won't do much for you with the Four Star 60. I have a ST 90 on mine and it is a little overpowered but will go unlimited vertical and is fast. In my opinion, this is the size engine you need.