Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Does Nirto Fuel go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 01:01 PM
matt1230

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Nirto Fuel go bad?

I have about 1/2 gallon of nirto fuel 15% and is over 1 year old. Should I use it or just by new fuel?
Old 07-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Doahh

Default RE: Does Nirto Fuel go bad?

it would be safer just to buy new fuel
Old 07-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Rs43EVOman

fuel does go bad after a while. yuou should just dumo that out, and go get new fuel
Old 07-10-2006, 04:11 PM
claccytim

it depends on how well it has been stored.

Has it been sealed airtight?
Nitro fuel has a tendency to absorb moisture from the air and the fuel will also evaporate leaving you with a higher percentage of oil, and a lower percentage of fuel, if it has been stored well sealed, and not exposed to extreme high/low temperatures, then it should be fine.

For a while now family and work commitments have resulted in me running my cars/trucks twice in the last 18 months or so, and I am still using the same fuel with no problems. I always put the bung back in the bottle before putting the lid on, and the bottle is only ever open for as long as it takes to fill the squeezy bottle, it is stored in an indoor electric cupboard with no natural light, no heaters, and on a shelf so that it is not in contact with the floor.

Try it, just make sure you use after run oil to ensure no water can harm the engine, but if it runs ok, then no problem, if it doesn't then get a new bottle.....
Old 07-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Ryan11

If nitro fuel is expensive to you then its fine and it'll work fine.

If nitro fuel is cheap to you then go buy some new stuff.

Yea nitro fuel goes off, but all that happens is that its not as combustable, but it will be fine to use.

Ryan.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:52 PM
C.A.R.

Hmm this came up the other day.

I work in Time Tunnel Models and we were going to get the XBG out to check all was fine and dandy.

The Fuel we had been using for the past two years (or more) had changed colour, and looked/smelled very odd.

Not really having much respect for the crappy XBG we filled it up;

Started first time. The fuel reacted no differently. It had been stored out beneath the sink for the whole winter, so would've gotten damn cold.

Who knows how long fuel lasts? And at which point does it become unsafe? Well; two years and counting....

C.A.R.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

Not sure about the fuel you are using but I run O`Donnell fuel and if kept sealed in a conditioned area it has a shelf life for 2 years . I believe Trinity claims the same .
Old 07-10-2006, 11:03 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found it to be more of a factor of how many times you open the container. Constant opening and closing and put fuel from your fuel bottle back in the container etc. etc. will shorten the lifespan much faster. I usually throw out the last inch of a gallon because it is starting to cause erratic tuning. Problems idling and transitioning seem to sprout up at the end which is as little as a month with constant opening and closing. New fuel cures it so I just don't mess around.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:39 AM
Nitro Fumes

If it's stored properly it will last many years. If it was sealed and in a cool dark place it will be fine.