Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Do I have to buy all new crystals?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Do I have to buy all new crystals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 08:59 PM
tbfoto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have to buy all new crystals?

I currently have 4 different cars and trucks that each have their own (old) radio. I'm looking into getting a Futaba2PL radio because it has a 10 car memory. Therefore I can use the same transmitter for all my cars and trucks. Does this mean that I will have to buy the same crystal channel for all my cars and trucks?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2006, 12:19 AM
rcxboy

Default RE: Do I have to buy all new crystals?

You can use matching crystal sets that i assume you have now, but you'll have to change the crystals on the tx a lot if they are all different channels.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

I`d just buy 3 other rx crystals to match your radio . I know Futaba crystals can be expensive , but Performance Devices sells just reciver crystals and are cheaper .
Old 08-18-2006, 10:48 PM
SportCrystals

THANK YOU for the plug! Yes, we are far less expensive. We are also the only brand name of R/C crystals who is the actual manufacturer! There will be a new banner special for our crystas the top of next week here at RCU so members can buy our crystals at an incredible price! The order page is not up yet (Next week), but you can see the home page with pricing at www.buyrccrystals.com. This is ONLY for RCU members to take advantage of!

ORIGINAL: Dawman

I`d just buy 3 other rx crystals to match your radio . I know Futaba crystals can be expensive , but Performance Devices sells just reciver crystals and are cheaper .
Old 08-19-2006, 02:49 AM
aer-wubby

Off topic - but I wonder how the heck those crystals are made and their contents.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Doahh

In general my PD crystals had a longer range than the Futaba Crystals... also less glitching
Old 08-22-2006, 07:36 PM
SAVAGEJIM

2.4Ghz is the way to go; no crystals, no glitches, no channel setting; its all automatic.
Synthesized would be another option.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:06 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Is the 2PL a module radio like the 3PK? If so, you could obtain a synthesized TX module and several RX's and that will eliminate all crystals. Alternatively, you could buy the DSM TX module and RX and buy extra RX's and you will never have to worry about frequency ever again.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Nomadio_Sales

By LAW in the USA you can not change the TX crystal (but everyone does) so just get receiver crystals to match the TX Ch. Any company that tells you you can change the TX crystal is not telling you the truth. You can read the FCC cert for your radio and it will say the end consumer must not be allowed to change the crystal, that voids the FCC cert and that could void any insurance you may have from AMA or ROAR. A synth RF deck is a great investment if you want to stay clean of the law and alter your TX ch.

For receivers in the USA (unless you have a HAM license) you are on AM or FM, 27MHz or 75MHz do not mix and match if you have a 75Mhz TX FM get all 75MHz FM receivers.

Only one brand of radio I know of can switch from 75Mhz AM to 75MHz FM per model and that is Multiplex.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:45 AM
SAVAGEJIM

What is the Multiplex radio? I've never seen one (actually, this the first rime I've even heard of it).