Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

power to weight ratio

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 08:59 AM
farminred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power to weight ratio

Hello,
I am just preparing my self to enter the world of 3D. I am looking at the great planes 27% Cap 232 12.5-14lb plane. I have read and heard that you need a 2:1 power to weight ratio for you engine. This means that I would need an engine that produces 28 lbs of thrust. that size of engine would not fit on to this size of plane. is it true that you need a 2:1 power to weight ratio for true 3D manuvers?

Please help me resolve my quandry.

thanks
Old 07-25-2006, 11:54 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: power to weight ratio

Hay:

Don't sweat it. Follow the recommended engine sizes of the manufacturer and you are usually in good shape. Stick with the name brand engines and you will usually also be in good shape. DA, 3W, BME, ZDZ, Evolution (MVVS). Most of the other engines out there are simply too heavy for 3d. Yes, you can make your own engine from a weed eater, but thats often what you will get, and end up spending more money. You need to get into the 80" plus size airframes to get a good choice of engines and sizes in gas. The current crop of 70" are very fragile and recommend the larger glow engines such as OS 160 and YS 140. When looking at a airplane, check them out as far as you can on the web.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:26 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: power to weight ratio

At sea level, an OS 160 will tool the CAP along nicely....
If you live in High Altitude/High Temperature... then choose larger motor...
(MOKI 180???)

That plane looks to really rock... but remember... bigger flies better... consider some 50cc
planes if the wallet will cough up the extra dough... Aeroworks QB Yak is prolly a good choice...
CHP Vision is a 3D monster... and he has a new Double Vision too...