Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Pull Pull syatem

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:07 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pull Pull syatem

My son has built the Midwest Extra and the kit use's wire rods for the rudder pull pull system. On range checking the rudder always bounces back and forth like it has lost signal. It only does it on this plane and the radio is just back from Futaba repair center. What other options are there for the pull pull push rods other than the metal. I am thinking that maybe the 2 rods are gettting into the servo somehow. Any thoughts ?? Thanks Dave
Old 08-02-2006, 10:15 PM
lever02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pull Pull syatem

I have used braided fishing line and the crimps that go with the rig. worked great for me.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:34 PM
MR G

I also have the Midwest Extra 300.

I am not sure what you mean about the rods. I used .020 braded steel cables for my pull-pull setup. looped through and crimped with with small lengths of tubing. a picture might help.

MR G
Old 08-02-2006, 10:44 PM
bhanley

It is unlikely that the "rods" are causing the symptom you describe. However, if you
want an alternative, call Don's Hobby in Kansas (ads in al the mags...). He offers a
pull/pull kit that uses coated kevlar cord.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't discount the metal rods causing a problem. I was trying to adjust the low needle valve a couple days back and I had the wing of. I noticed that every time I touched the muffler on my motor with the screw driver, the rudder, elevator and motor servos would chatter a couple times. This was with my transmitter setting within two ft of the plane. I pulled up the antenna on the transmitter about half way and it quit. The setup is good for about 300ft on a range test, maybe more, I would have to climb a fence to go futher out. My guess is that the motor was picking up a static charge that would discharge though the screw driver. Just a guess. There was no metal to metal contact on servo linkages, and it is a Magnum 52 four stroke engine so there is not EMI from the ignition.

Don
Old 08-03-2006, 12:50 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the antenna wire is running between the rudder rods it could be an interference issue. Try re-locating the antenna wire. Look for loose connections and hardware everywhere and go from there.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:55 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What servo(s) is employed??? Are you describing a push-pull set-up with two servos or a single servo?
Old 08-03-2006, 06:44 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

He is using one Futaba Hi Tourqe servo. It has done the same thing with other brands of servos that we have tested. It is using 2 peices of this metal wire going from each side of the servo arm to each side of the rudder. The wire is a real small gauge piano wire that was supplied by Midwest with the kit. Thanks for all the input, Dave
Old 08-03-2006, 08:42 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd suggest trying and subsequently testing and eliminating ONE variable at a time. All to often modelers make several changes simultaneously never fully understanding what caused said problems..

So you have tried different types and brands of servos with the same results and the radio was recently serviced. Have you tried a different RX?

Remove one of the push-pull rods and see what happens.

Cycle the servo connectors several times.

Try a different servo extension. A gold plated HD extension should be utilized. Stay away from inexpensive tin plated stuff.