Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

WM Extra 300 vs GP Extra 300. Which one?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

WM Extra 300 vs GP Extra 300. Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 03:22 AM
monkeyhead
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WM Extra 300 vs GP Extra 300. Which one?

For those out there that own either of these two models....I'm looking for your expert opinion on which is the better of the two. I will probably use a Moki 2.1 for the powerplant for the lucky plane that wins. I have narrowed it down to these two, but I cannot decide with the little knowledge that I have. I need your advise, insight, and help. I have a WM CAP 232-120 that I am really impressed with, but I also like the support I can get with GP. It is in your hands now, fellow RC'ers!
Old 01-04-2003, 03:24 AM
monkeyhead

The ARF kits I'm talking about are the GP 1/4 scale Patty Wagstaff
Extra 300 vs. the WM Extra 300-160 kit.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:57 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't think you'll go wrong with either. I've flown a WM Extra with a Brison 2.4 and it was a real pleasure to fly. That plane is getting a ZDZ 50 this spring; can't wait to see how that goes.
Old 01-04-2003, 05:19 AM
CNSASS

I vote for the WM extra. They are a great plane and it's alittle bigger then the GP
Old 01-04-2003, 06:54 PM
Barricade696

I need to second the WM bigger lighter so more 3d and I heard that the gp is coming out heavy.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:48 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I had the same dilema, on a previous thread. I personally liked the construction of the GP better in the tail section.

There is a long thread discussing this plane, and some minor problems people have had (such as a thin cowl).

I bought the GP from my LHS so I could inspect it first, no problems found. I haven't assembled it yet because I haven't picked my engine yet (BME 55, DA 50, ZDZ 50).

I think both are good choices, and you will be happy with either.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:08 AM
vtsmx-DELETE

I've only seen the WM in the box at a local hobby shop. Was looking over a shoulder so I didn't get a real good look, and can't compare the overall quality. I do have the GP though with a Moki 2.10. The overall quality of mine is good and it flies very nice. I went with one rudder servo and it balanced with no added weight. I'm not in to 3D so I can't say if it's any good at that. Scale take-offs with the 2.10 are done at half throttle. Has a little bit more pitch and roll-coupling in knife edge than what I was expecting. Very good rudder and aileron authority. Rolls are crisp and axial. Take-offs are easy, with very little rudder correction. Settles in nicely for landings. Overall, I'm very happy with it. Good luck with which ever you pick.

vtsmx
Old 01-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Blueskies21
My Feedback: (34)

Default reply

I have the GP patty 300/w/ a moki210,i looked at both versions in my hobby shop here in my initial look ,I have owned lots of wm planes over the years,their p51 mustangs are awesome birds & fly great as is their midgett as well .As far as the the two 300 comparsions go, i feel the GP looks much more scale than the WM.I just got to meet patty here at the airshow last august,had a pic taking with her,the GP 300 is damn near right on the money next to her fullscale.the cowl and rudder checkered design is totally awesome/caught everyones eye at the hobby shop plus the way they built the canopy into the turtledeck ,and also was 75.00 cheaper and included the 4" alum. spinner.So the GP gets my vote.Mine flies awesome ,the best flying big aerobatic I've had to date,mines logged approx. 18 flights so far

steve
Old 01-05-2003, 02:26 PM
monkeyhead

Default Great advice

Thanks to everyone who has already replied to this thread and for giving me the word o' mouth I was looking for. I'm almost ready to place an order (waiting for that Fed Tax return) but I'm heading towards a GP kit with either a Moki 2.1 or an OS BGX-3500. I have two 1.60 FX in my other planes and really like them. Anyone intersted in commenting on the Moki?

Thanks again...
Jeff
Old 01-05-2003, 05:55 PM
vtsmx-DELETE

Default Moki Comments

I've had the 1.8 and 2.10 and have had good luck with both. If you go with the Moki just make sure to break it in according to the manufacturer's recommendations. It takes a while, but it will be a strong runner when you're done. One thing to keep in mind about the low speed mixture/metering wheel - There is a "+" and "-" on either side of a reference mark. The "+" does not mean richer, and the "-" does not mean leaner. Rather, they both refer to a state of leanness. The "+" means more lean, and the "-" means less lean. The instructions tell you to turn the wheel clockwise to lean (which will be to the "+" side) and turn it counterclockwise to richen (which will be to the "-" side). You'll see what I mean if you get one. Hope this info helps.

vtsmx
Old 01-05-2003, 06:29 PM
Flyfalcons

The moki pulls really hard, but remember they like to run really rich. Also, the low end cap is very sensitive; you only need to turn it a couple degrees to affect a change in idle characteristics.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:01 AM
monkeyhead

For you Moki Owners out there, is it really all that it says it is as far as performance? What size prope (average) will the Moki 2.1 spin? I'm using 18X8 on my OS 1.60FX's.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:41 AM
Flyfalcons

Watch the DP vids on 3dbatix.com and ask yourself if the 1.60 can do that. My Moki will swing a Mejzlik 19x8 no problem, a 160 will bog down on that prop. Then add another .30cid.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:03 AM
snotlocker
My Feedback: (14)

Default GASSERS DOH !!

JEFF , I HAD THE WM EXTRA ...... GOOD LOOKIN BIRD ....(COWL WAS CRAP )
BUT ON THIS ONE I WOULD GO FOR THE GP EXTRA .... JUST NICER BY A LITTLE BIT ..IMO

AND GO GAS ON EITHER ONE !!! 2.4

HAVENT YOU HAD ENOUGH OF THE FUEL PROBLEMS WITH GLOW ?

HOWS THE CAP , AND YOUR BUDDYS EXTRA ?
Old 01-11-2003, 07:05 AM
monkeyhead

Default Snotlocker's reply!

The CAP has been flying like a dream for the past 3 weekends. I like it almost as much as the Edge. Just a little problem with coupling during knife-edges. Hovers at below 1/2 throttle with an OS 1.60 (yes, glow again!) Thanks for the input on the 18X8 prop recommendation. I now carry 5 extras in the bag. It makes it a little easier having 2 planes with the same powerplant. I know you always preach "go gas", but I was weak......I ordered the GP Extra w/ a Moki 2.1. Got a good deal through Chief Aircraft for $625.00. I've been working with Dana and Larry up there on a few deals before and they cut me some slack on the engine.
"squez's extra flew for the first time today. CG was basically a guess at where to start. Fortunately, we guessed right. It flew very nice, just like you said. He, too, is powere by OS 1.60. (I know, I'm a bad influence) Anyway, we are now flying out of Miramar's R/C field. I'd really like to have you come out and check the place out. 600 ft. runwayX80' wide. NO OBSTRUCTIONS AT ALL!! It is a really nice setup. Plus I'd like you to fly the CAP and see what you think of it.
Send me an e-mail and we'll hook up later!
Old 01-11-2003, 07:36 PM
BigBirdFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Default WM 300

I have the Wm 300 flyfalcons was talking about with the Brisson 2.4. Probably a big enough engine to do what you [U]need. Take off was at 1/4 throttle and it hovered at 1/2 with power to pull out. Not quit enough power for unlimited vertical, but close. I now have a ZDZ 50 that I am going to put in it. It's the same weight and allot more power.
I hooked up my ailerons backwards and wiped out the front end on take off. It is rebuilt now. The cowl I ordered is a little stronger than the original. Although I didn't see anything wrong with the first one. You don't want a heavy cowl. The plane is built exceptionally well. With the exception of the design on the removable stab and that was fixed by using epoxy to attach it. I have not once regretted buying the WM 300 and would recommend it. :thumbup: :thumbup: