Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dual Brushless Motor... Help with Setup

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Dual Brushless Motor... Help with Setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:32 AM
tomfranc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Brushless Motor... Help with Setup

I would like to convert my Multiplex TwinStar II to brushless and lipo. I already have 2 multiplex BL480s. The local hobby shop said that I would need 2 25 amp ESC and 2 2100 LiPo packs to do this.... otherwise I could "blow" the LiPo pac. I am sure someone has a twin motor plane using only a single ESC and battery??? I don't mind using a smaller prop to accomplish using a single ESC and battery. Also are there any wiring issues to connecting 2 brushless motors to a single ESC.

Any configurations or suggestions.... thanks,

Tom
Old 08-08-2006, 04:06 PM
R101

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dual Brushless Motor... Help with Setup

I'm afraid that normally 2 brushless motors require 2 ESCs.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Chocks_Away

Yup, you'll definately need 2 brushless esc's as they sense the position of the motor as it spins round, enabling it to operate properly, and they won't syncronise to operate together if thats what you might think.

If you was to use a brushed motor set up, then thats the only way you can get away with a single esc.

You'll be able to get away with a single lipo pack though depending upon the C rating it has.
You won't blow it as such as long as you do your homework first and choose one that can handle the current that both motors will be taking at once.
By choosing one with a high capacity and high C rating, you'll easily do it.

Something of the 3000 to 4000 mah of 20C rating would be ideal.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:12 AM
tomfranc

Thanks for the information. Would you recommend a 2 or 3 cell LiPo.

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 08-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Chocks_Away

Hi again,

It's all down to what performance you want really.

You'll probably find that you can get away fine with 2 cells, as that is what the original 400 brushed motors are desingned to run on in the twinstar, but if you do decide on 3, then you'll get superb performance !

If it was me, then I would probably go for 3 cells, then if you do find it to be too much, then you can always throttle back a bit, which will also save on battery power too, thus giving a longer flight, but if your finding that you need to fly around mostly on full power with only two cells, then you won't have any reserve left if you want it.

At least if you have got extra power (by means of the extra cell) , you are not forced to use it.

Cheers, Craig
Old 03-28-2007, 10:46 AM
markm75

Curious what everyone thinks of the BP-21 motor..

I was going to put two of them in the twinstar II.. then use at least an 18 amp ESC x 2? Or would I be better off with say a 25 or 30 amp ESC for cooling?

I found two escs I was considering: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...2&pid=A3558009 It says if using 4 servos I'd need a 4.8v rx pack or switching BEC.. i'm not sure if that applies in the case of having 2 ESCs and 4 servos?

I also found this ESC: http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_inf...roducts_id=381 It states there is no Lipo guard.. I'm not sure what that means or if the base unit is programmable or needs programmed?

I was assuming that a 3s 2100mah 15C (at most 15C) would have been enough juice to power this thing better than stock and for up to 20 minutes.. 15*2100 is 31.5 amps and the motor is rated at 13 amps.. or do I combine the amps to say 26 amps.. so having a 15C is the lowest I'd want to go?

Thanks for any help