Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

What should I replace my Mini Funtana with?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
Pay the $65 or so for new fuselage, nose and canopy.
10.00%
Buy another Mini Funtana (spare parts benefit)
40.00%
EFlite Edge 540
10.00%
EFlite Brio
10.00%
EFlite Mini Ultra Stick
30.00%
Great Planes Mini Super Sportster.
0%
Great Planes Lancair
0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

What should I replace my Mini Funtana with?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 05:16 PM
geo8498

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I replace my Mini Funtana with?

I just totally boogered up my Mini Funtana. I just spend $200 on new equipment for it.

EFlite 480 910 outrunner
EFlite 40 amp ESC
HS55 servos
Hyperion 3s 2100 lipo

Just had really bad jitters this morning and dumbthumbed into the ground. I was pretty nervous since I hadn't flown it since spring and it was like a maiden flight with the power upgrade. (I had a 450 outrunner and 9x6 prop before).

Smacked up the fuse bad enough that it would need replaced.

Nose is cracked up (cosmetic), canopy is scratched (cosmetic), left wing tip is a bit crunched but repairable.

So having just spent all that money on my dream setup, what should I do? Fix it or buy new.

Here are my ideas.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Doc Austin

Default RE: What should I replace my Mini Funtana with?

I had a Funtana with an E Flite 480 on it, but at that weight, with the big motor and 2100 batttery pack, the plane wasn't all that great. If I were going to build another one, I'de be very concious about the weight.

Weight isn't a problem for the Mini Ultra Sticks. Obviously they will fly better with less weight, but the wing loading is already so low that you can get away with the 480 and big battery with no problem. You have the perfect setup for a Mini Ultra stick.

First, the H55 servos drop right in and fit perfectly. The servos installation is absolutely no problem.

Your power set up is the current rage for Mini Ultra Sticks. We're running E Flite 480s on ours and the things are just brutal. With that motor they are extremely impressive airplane. The performance is just explosive. The planes accelerate like no tomorrow, even when pointed straight up. The E Flite 40 amp speed controller is the perfect choice for the 480 as it gives smooth, progressive throttle response and a very predicatble soft cut off. The 2100 battery will give you about 15 minutes run time uless you keep the throttle pegged the whole filight. I've gotten as much as 25 minutes, but I was doing nothing but shooting touch and goes.

One thing that will have to be done differently is that you will have to drill new mounting holes in the firewall for the 480. The Mini comes with the firewall not installed, so this is no problem. I cover that in the first thread below, and the rest are just for fun................

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5468

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...63#post5439473

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503691

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533649
Old 08-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Doc Austin

I had to dig around a bit, but I found this link that tells you how to instal the 480 On the Mini Ultra stick.

http://www.toddsmodels.com/Reviews/M...ultrastick.htm

On mine, I plugged the unused holes with hardwood dowels. There isn't a lot of wood between the holes, so I just wanted to strengthen it up a bit. EFlite sells replacement firewall for about $2.00, so I bought some spares just in case I drilled a hole in the wrong place or otherwise screwed things up. I've got four or five of them ready to go because that's the hardest part of assembling a Mini Ultra Stick. Outside of modifying the firewall, I can have one from box to air in about 2 hours.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:14 PM
geo8498

well, you make a pretty good sales pitch for the Mini Ultra Stick. Thanks. It certainly is in consideration. It might fit well with my flying style.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:14 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

The Katana Mini flys better with that setup, but the e-tana from Mountain Models is better still. I guess it depends what you are looking for. I actually had a lot of luck patching up the Mini Funtana fusalage I smacked up. So I would start there, just add a little balsa and fix it up. Then once you get tired of it, try a better plane.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:59 AM
geo8498

I was just looking at the stuff from Mountain Models. I've read good things aout their models. Most of the models there are quite small, and I was considering them as a suitable replacement for my Wattage Crazy Max when the time comes to retire it. Looks like the ETana is the best option in their lineup for the gear from my MF.

I tried to do something with my MF fuselage th other night, but it is so splintered into little bits that I got frustrated. I haven't totally given up on it, but it doesn't look like it'll be rebuilt.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:21 PM
geo8498

Well, ends up I was at my LHS with the intent to buy a new plane, and they had the MF fuselage for $45.99 and the nose for $5.99, so went with it. Thanks to everyone who gave their input. I think the deciding factor was a combination of ...1. the fuse was a little cheaper than I expected. 2. they also had the cowl which they had just found in their inventory. 3. No Mini Ultra Stick on the shelf, nor any of the others. Bird in the hand. (pun intended) 4. I was pretty happy flying the MF before and buying just the fuse saved me some cash. 5. the setup I bought was intended to be used in the MF and seemd like it was a better match than for the others planes.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Doc Austin

Glad it worked out for you, but keep that Mini Ultra Stick in mind when you want a second plane. Hope the new fuse flies even better than the first one.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:42 PM
geo8498

It certainly is still in mind. I might even get it later on and take the gear from my Mini Telemaster to use in it.