Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

I learned my lesson....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Seek and Destroy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I learned my lesson....

...... I was going to drive my brushless 18t today, so I charge the pack and get it all ready to go. Well I was fixing another truck up so I took the crystal out of it and put it in another reciever of mine. Well then I went someplace and grabbed my 18t and the radio. Not realizing I forgot to put the chip back in.[:@] I didn't notice it umtil I had left and was on the street. So I go to where I need to and get all mad. Lesson to be learned: Always quadrupil check to make sure that you have a crystal in your radio and reciever. But the real lesson was, I need a synthesized or 2.4ghz radio. Sooooo, right now i'm trying to find a synthesized radio for kinda cheap. The only thing I really need is the synthesized part, it doesn't need to have all of the "features" that these hightec radios do. I was thinking about the jr xr2i, it's synthesized right??
Old 08-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Seek and Destroy

Default RE: I learned my lesson....

Anybody??
Old 08-16-2006, 08:50 PM
JRexA

The JR's that are Synth are usually named XS something.
http://www.jrradios.com

For a Synth JR, you will need the XS3 or XS3 Pro.
Other options could be the Airtronics??? MX3S (Not sure about the brand name)

I don't know if anyone makes an AM Synth radio for cheap.

And look at the Spektrum DX2 for a cheapo 2,4ghz.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Nomadio_Sales

Nomadio no crystals no problem forgetting what ch our set on because you are on a new ch in a few mil seconds.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Seek and Destroy

Well i'm getting a top-of-the-line radio for christmas so i'm going to get a dx2 or something cheap for now.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:03 AM
SAVAGEJIM

If cheap and 2ch is all you need for now, then DX2 will suffice until Christmas. Just keep it in good condition and then put it on auction at that point in time.
When Christmas rolls around, Most definitely order up a Nomandio from Santa (I don't know if you will buy it locally or if you will have to order it, but unfortunately, ording will take up to 2weeks for deliverly).
Old 08-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Seek and Destroy

2 weeks??? I don't know whether or not I will get the nomadio. I'm not sure, I don't want to pay 500 and get ripped off, and since i've never heard of them, I probably won't get it. I'll probably get a m11 instead.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:41 PM
Nomadio_Sales

LOL no one sells them for $500 and they are no rip off even at that price. $270 for the brown box deal.

Look I brought digital servos to the market in 1989
I coinded the term Park Planes
I brought out the first PC interfaceable radios
I made the largest R/C car facility in the USA
I hosted a World Championships myself

I am not going to sell a rip off product!
This system rocks
Old 08-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rc18t145
2 weeks??? I don't know whether or not I will get the nomadio. I'm not sure, I don't want to pay 500 and get ripped off, and since i've never heard of them, I probably won't get it. I'll probably get a m11 instead.
That many posts on RCU and never heard of a Nomadio Sensor or even Nomadio? Wow. I bet some of the service members in Iraq have even heard of Nomadio.

Robots built in W.Va. going to Iraq to detonate bombs
Remote-control BomBot looks like battery-powered sidewalk toy
Friday, April 21, 2006
By Cindi Lash, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
...The foundation and its partners in the project first developed and built prototypes, which were critiqued by soldiers who tested them in the heat and sand of Iraq, said Bhana Grover of Nomadio Inc.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06111/683981-82.stm

Engineers Deliver Robot to Neutralize Remote Explosives
Tyndall AFB (SPX) Jul 21, 2005
However, a specially designed control unit, developed by Nomadio Inc., allows the operator to regulate the speed at low, medium and high settings. Nomadio has experience developing high redundancy, high security, short range digital radio systems that are intended for the command and control of military robots.

"Nomadio's technology provides the robots with secure, frequency hopping command and control, and the ability to relay information back from the robot's sensing devices," Waltz added. "The system can be used in rigorous environmental conditions, several times daily, allowing EOD personnel to accomplish force protection and IED disposal activities from a safe standoff distance."
http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Engi...xplosives.html

...... I was going to drive my brushless 18t today,
And if you are using a Castle Creations Mamba-25 brushless speed control, I can claim to be the first to use that speed control with a Nomadio Sensor.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Seek and Destroy

I was using the hacker B20 with a different can and a Quark 33A Pro-Car. I have heard of Nomadio, but never seen any of there products in real life, nor has anybody I race with. I asked a couple guys at the last race if they thought the Nomadio was good, They said, "Whats that?". They had no clue. I would love to get a sensor, but until I get to see one in person, and see one work, I won't get one.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:34 PM
Doahh

I say go get an M11... all of the pros are running crystals again...
Old 08-24-2006, 08:55 PM
VENTUREMAN

i dont understand nomadio what all does it come with.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:52 AM
rcxboy

Well, you get a really nice tx. IF you buy the full set, for about $350 iirc, you get a speed sensor and a temp sensor. The RX has a battery sensor built in i think too. These sensors will send back data to your tx. You can also plug your tx into a computer to configure stuff, and download wav files onto it. There is a lot more too.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: Doahh
I say go get an M11... all of the pros are running crystals again...
You are so wrong, again. Heck, I took a photo of Richard Saxton using his Nomadio Sensor last Friday night. Myself, I also find it rather strange about how you used to post about getting a Nomadio Sensor and then flipped back to Airtonics again. Another issue with Pros are SERVOS, not the transmitter. If someone is getting a FREE transmitter and FREE servos at $100+ cost to Joe Blow, they may just continue to use a certain brand that provides them with FREE $100+ servos since they may very well go through more servos than transmitters. Think about it another way, John Pro drives a certain buggy then switches chassis. Did John Pro switch chassis because that chassis is better? Perhaps, but it could also be because that latter company is paying more money to advertise their product. Myself, I would chose a transmitter that "I" like and use, not one that someone else likes and uses or just gets paid to use and advertise.

My advice to anyone: Simply try them all (especially at a track if possible) and pick the transmitter that suits your style.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:42 AM
Seek and Destroy

I think i'm going to get a m11 cause I trust airtronics more, and it looks better than the nomadio. Plus it's cheaper.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:40 AM
TheLinkster

I think i'm going to get a m11 cause I trust airtronics more, and it looks better than the nomadio. Plus it's cheaper.
Why do you trust Airtronics more than Nomadio?
Old 08-26-2006, 12:07 PM
Seek and Destroy

Cause the only thing I have ever seen by nomadio is the sensor. And I never seen that in person. I have seen plenty of stuff by airtronics.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:16 PM
Doahh

How long has nomadio been on the RC MARKET?
2 years...
Airtronics has been on the RC MARKET for around 30 years...
and you have to ask why people trust it more? also not really anyone (maybe one person) gets free radios and servos.... and everyone is running the M8 and M11
Old 08-26-2006, 05:15 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I do not know how long Nomandio has been in business, but I do know they are a major US Dept of Defense contractor. They make electronics for cool army "toys" and have extrapolated this tech into our RC cars.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: Doahh
How long has nomadio been on the RC MARKET?
2 years...
Airtronics has been on the RC MARKET for around 30 years...
and you have to ask why people trust it more? also not really anyone (maybe one person) gets free radios and servos.... and everyone is running the M8 and M11
I guess some people really like to generalize the R/C game.

Being new doesn't necessarily make a product inferior and being "around" doesn't necessarily make a product better. Check out the history of Emerson and Sony sometime. Even TI if you want to go back to the invention of the semiconductor days. After all, this is about electronics. I can also tell that you DON'T know some of the same people I do if you don't believe free radios and servos are given away in the R/C world (as well as heavily discounted servos to others even if they don't get a transmitter). The math is also pretty simple--Numerous FREE SERVOS can easily surpass the cost of one transmitter. Think about that next time you see an ad. For that matter Ko Propo targeted its Helios Ex-10 toward the Kyosho Mini-Z since Ko Propo also designed the unique electronics for the Kyosho Mini-Z. This also means that the Ex-10 can send a faster signal to the Kyosho Mini-Z electronics faster than any other current transmitter on the market despite the fact that I've also seen people using the M8/M11 to run Kyosho Mini-Zs. Myself, I use a Futaba T3PK to run Zs.

One can also always compare the HRS Mode of Futaba with the other transmitters as well as that "special" HRS set up by Spektrum RC. Then compare all the speeds with Nomadio (which can also supposedly be used with the typical Spektrum receivers though I have yet to try it). One can also always check into 1/5 scale and see how many more racers were using the Futaba T3PK over Airtronics. Then again, Nomadio also picked up one of the 1/5 top drivers.

Again, I reiterate that my advice to anyone is to simply try all the transmitters (especially at a track if possible) and pick the transmitter that suits your style (instead of reading generalized comments on a forum). In other words, HOLD the transmitter. In addition, make sure that the LHS has batteries installed in the transmitter. Why do I write this? It's simply because the US version of the Futaba T3PK comes with a battery pack and it will be heavier if compared to the other transmitters without a battery pack. Weight is also one reason that I know some people who prefer some other transmitters over the M11--the M11 is also heavier than the M8. The Ko Propo Helios Ex-10 also has an option wheel mount that adjust in and out (not up and down). The wheel set up on the Nomadio Sensor is basically like the Ko Propo with the wheel adjusted out.

Quite frankly, some people prefer the FEEL of one transmitter over another and if the proposed buyer of the transmitter doesn't like the feel of it, it will be a waste of money no matter what features it has or doesn't have installed. Of course, some people also base their purchases on looks alone and others because of their lack of programming abilities. And of course, others on price.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:30 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Tigger N. Bennie

...some people prefer the FEEL of one transmitter over another and if the proposed buyer of the transmitter doesn't like the feel of it, it will be a waste of money no matter what features it has or doesn't have installed...
I too am about the weight of the radio. I have the 3PK (US version that Futaba calls Magnum) and I do notice the weight difference if I take out the Magnum NiCad pack and install the Megatech batt tray with 8 AA batts. I like the weight of the Magnum NiCad pack over the Megateck batt tray any day. The Megatech batt tray in my opinion makes the 3PK too top heavy. But then again, my 3PK can be too top light. I have the Spektrum DSM module installed, but I left in the stock antenna to keep the 3PK balanced in my palm. If I take out the stock antenna and slip in the Megatech batt tray, then I feel my 3PK become to light.

If I want a light radio, I would simply buy a Nomandio. It has all sorts of goodies I wish the 3PK had.