Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

A new problem with Lustercoat. Please advise...

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

A new problem with Lustercoat. Please advise...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:07 AM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A new problem with Lustercoat. Please advise...

Hi all,

I have used LC Flat Clear over Createx Auto Air for all my scale birds for years without problems. Yesterday I encountered something intriging! After application of LC and allowed few hours to dry, I did a pass of heat gun to tighten things up and to my horror, the paint starts to blister badly! Reheat and trying to even the bumps out with my fingers do no avail. In the past, I have reshrunk covering with heat gun over Lustercoat Clear Flat without problems but now looks like I have to strip the LC layer with Acetone then repaint. The blistering is from the LC layer, not the Createx layer as this is the high heat automotive paint. Any thoughts? DP
Old 08-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Newc

Default RE: A new problem with Lustercoat. Please advise...

After application of LC and allowed few hours to dry, I did a pass of heat gun
I would think that a significantly longer drying time would be needed. Lustrekote recommends at least 24 hours before even masking for any additional painting, much less a harsh treatment such as a heat gun at high enough temperature and close enough to the surface to tighten the covering. Just because a paint is dry to the touch doesn't mean that it has fully cured, and this takes time.

It's also possible that the color coat you mention hadn't yet fully cured before you put the Lustrekote on, making the situation even worse as an incompletely cured color coat will cause problems for the top coat adhesion, and the top coat will keep the color coat from curing completely.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem #1 - you are using Lustercrap. Lustercote is a lacquer based paint so you need to careful with compatibility.

Problem #2 Lusterkote needs 72 hours or more to dry.

You may want to consider using a flatner in the paint itself. Automotive paint is USUALLY glow and gasoline fuel proof.

If you don't want to use a flatner, consider using something like MinWax Polycrylic. It is waterbase (does not yellow with age), dries in 24 hours, is glow fuel RESISTANT with the following caveats: 1. Let the poly dry for a minimum of 7 days before exposing to glow fuel. 2. Do not let the residue sit on the finish over 4 hours.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:13 PM
plasticjoe
My Feedback: (22)

I only use Lusterkote to paint inside my engine compartments. Ruined 3 cowls I had to replace by that stuff. Blistered, cracked peeled. Had the fiberglass cleaned very cleanly and still terrible results. I have used the Hangar 9 paint with very good results. Not sure who makes the Hangar 9, but you can tell there is a difference.