Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

problem with my savage x!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 08:01 PM
meetball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with my savage x!

does you savage x steer good and can it brake like almost perfect? im having a prob. with my savage x's steering because it doesnt turn that good and ive even tried the steering trim and made the tires in the middle but still..... can you guys tell me what should i do? thx!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:10 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: problem with my savage x!

The stock servos suck. Ditch the SF-2 and get a Hitec 645MG (it costs about $40). That servo rules for its price!
Old 08-29-2006, 10:12 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: meetball

does you savage x steer good and can it brake like almost perfect?
yes, but I have the dual disk brakes and an Airtronics 94162 steering servo
Old 08-30-2006, 06:09 AM
canucksrc

Changed out the steering servo and the brakes. This gives the truck a whole new fell. I also added the bearing kit to the steering.
P
Old 08-30-2006, 06:37 AM
amwhite2005

Also, you can replace that spring on the brake linkage with some fuel tubing. Only does a little, but still worth it, as it costs almost nothing. You could also upgrade to a hump pack, this will improve steering and braking. It will also be cheaper in the long run and save you buying lots of AA batterys.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:30 AM
canucksrc

Good Advice AMwhite2005,
I alway's uprade to a Hump Pack and forget about that double A battery thing. keep the sping and add a small piece of fuel tubing. You will get better brake feel.

P
Old 08-30-2006, 01:32 PM
nitroracer82

Mine used to understeer and give me tons of problems along with breaking. I installed Hitec 645MG, replaced steering bearings with the bearing upgrade and tightened the spring on the servo saver and wala problem solved its perfect. As for the braking I have the throttle mod, which is not really necessary. If you still have the factory set up then make sure you have a good length of fuel tubing. Another thing about braking that had me racking my brain was I would tighten up the lag to the point that anymore tension would almost lock the brakes at idle. But then when I ran it it still would not brake. In fact the braking arm would pivot almost 60 degrees before the brakes would engage. If that's the case you need to tighten the 2 screws holding the brake discs onto your trans case, somehow mine loosend up almost all the way out. Screw them in but not too tight but just to where it's snug but the discs can still turn between the pads. I was really embarresed on that one.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:57 PM
DaveG55

If you go with a stronger servo for the steering (a real good upgrade) then move the stock steering servo to the throttle. That will also help a lot with the brakes. If you upgrade servos then a hump pack is a must, you'll fly thru AA's with the stronger servos.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:37 PM
meetball

i have the hump pack steering battery..... and i just made the brakes work better but the biggest prob is the steering, my brothers tnx steers 100 times better than my savae x... im wondering if i should change the remote or something so that it would steer better......
Old 08-30-2006, 06:52 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steering on the Savage will be a problem as long as you are using the stock servo. They are pretty weak. I am still using the stock servo, but I mostly just jump it and run around the back yard. When I take it to the track it is a challenge to make some of the turns. I would advise you get a new steering servo if you want to improve the steering. I have been eyeballing this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JR-DZ9000T-Digit...QQcmdZViewItem

But I will probably buy it from my LHS as it's $5 cheaper. A new Hitec 645MG can be had on Ebay for around $30. That will be an improvement, but if you want real steering and have the cash, go straight to the best one you can get and be done with it.