Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Magnetic Building Board.....Cheap

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Magnetic Building Board.....Cheap

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 12:07 AM
carvblaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnetic Building Board.....Cheap

After reseaching everything needed for a building board, I came up with a pretty simple, cheap and accurate system. I used a 3/4" x24"x30" piece of MDF, then covered it with a piece of 16 GA. mild steel. I then purchased 3/4" magnets at the craft store ( 20 for 4 bucks) and a couple of heavey duty ones at the home impovement store ( 4 for 5 bucks). Then I cut some 1" x 1" aluminum angle and some 1" x 1" plywood blocks, making sure to make a true 90 degree surface. Glue the magnets to the plywood blocks and aluminum angle and there you go. So far my TF GE P-47 is turning out great, straight and true.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62313.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	515828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52541.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	515829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30987.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	515830  
Old 08-30-2006, 06:56 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Magnetic Building Board.....Cheap

I had to leave my two Eldon J. Lind Magnetic Building boards at our last residence, they buckled when I tried to remove them. I went to Dominion Steel in Fredericksburg, Virginia and bought a 1/8"x 4'x8' sheet of mild steel which they cut lengthwise for free. I laid one on top of the other for stiffness and fastened down with as few as possible counter sunk drywall style screws. According to a 7' level it is perfectly flat and level. I already had two full sets of the E. J. Lind magnetic accessories. I''ve already built a Bruce Tharpe Flyin King on it. For $152.00 it cost only a few bucks more than one "Eldon J. Lind" now Great Planes building board and I have the equivalent of two. I painted mine a dark gray that is a little lighter than your black. Good lookin board Carv.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:32 AM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

My original Lind board did the same thing as yours Hobbsy. Thats why I don't attach the steel plate to a wood base any more. I found a MFG locally that produces steel staircases. He cut me a piece of 3/16" steel plate that is the same dimension as my solid core door work surface. He dipped it in some kind of tank to remove any corrosion and when I got it home it got a couple of coats of light gray auto pimer. It weights a ton but it doesn't move and is dead flat. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Carveblaster, those button magnets will work OK for holding some parts but don't have enough pull for some of the tasks you will run into. You will need the type that has a magnet sandwiched between two steel plates. They have a name for that type, but it escapes me right now. When the memory kicks in I will post it. I have collected all sorts of magnets and made a bunch of different jigs to hold parts and handle specific tasks.
This gentleman has a real nice "how to" section dealing with magnet boards and I believe he has a source listed, where you can purchase magnets.
http://airfieldmodels.com/informatio...oard/index.htm
Old 08-30-2006, 11:17 AM
BobbyT

Thanks CCRC1 for the post about the web site for magnetic building boards. I bought an original E.J. Lind board many years ago, and have built a number of models on it. Originally I had it glued to a hollow core door, but over time it sagged. I then built a sturdy frame from 1x2"s and an 3/4 inch ply top. It's heavy - but true. As noted, you will never have enough magnets or fixtures, so if you are just starting out with this method, get as many as you can afford, and check out the website for some good information on making your own.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:28 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

RCU member Caffeenman has an excellent how-to on his site for building your own magnetic building system. You can find it here: [link=http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/how_to_articles_for_model_builders/tools/magnetic_building_board/index.htm]Magnetic building system at www.airfield models.com[/link] .

You can see my board in use in the LT-40 Build thread that I did. [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3444607[/link]

I had 3 sheets of metal cut for my system. 6'x2', 3'x2', and 2'x2'. All of them are mounted on hollow core doors to get them flat. I purchased 250 ceramic magnets to make my fixtures and to have magnets to build with. I really need about another 50-100 to comfortably use when building. So far the biggest wings I've built were 45" wing halves for my Dynaflight Super Decathlon and the board had plenty of room to spare. After using the magnetic system for a couple of years now there is no way I would ever go back to pushing pins!!!

Ken
Old 08-31-2006, 11:00 PM
carvblaster

I had to test the theory befor investing into the concept. After viewing RCKen's system, I'm ordering 100 from the Magnet Source to start out with, make some fixtures and go from there. I really appreciate everyones advice and tips.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:48 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, my wife HATES you guys. And she doesn't even know it! Yet another thing to buy and put into the shop...

I've seen the magnetic boards before, but never a real sturdy set like in RCKen's links. That looks like an absolute grade-A Cadillac system for building. I am switching to a rail type jig for building fuses, but this will give me a first class way to build wings from now on. Thanks for showing me another way to spend money on neat tools and great equipment.

Mark
Old 09-01-2006, 10:37 AM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

Some usefull sources for magnets

If you have some old hard drives laying around opem those suckers up..

the head arm has 2 neodymium magnets for positioning at one end.. these suckers are strong.

here's a good site on how to get to em.
http://www.dansdata.com/magnets.htm

A place Called Sci-Plus sells all kinds of wierd surplus items.. lots of magents in stock.
http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?...1&category=117

Harbor Freight has these magentic positioners on sale for $1.50 each
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1938